• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Strands of Fate power question

mediapig

Validated User
I've been getting back into Strands of Fate, and I have a few questions about powers:

1. How would people build a leaping power, like the Hulk's ability to jump vast distances? Or, scaled down, someone like Batroc who is still human, but can leap relatively great distances?

2. How would you build a "Flash" power, something that causes blindness, deafness, etc... a sense attack type power?

3. Can you give different affinity abilities to different powers with the same power source? For example, a guy who can both shoot blasts of energy, and explode with energy... making the affinity for the blasts his Agility ability, but using an affinity like "Energy Control" for his explosion?

Leprenomichaun

Non-Euclidean faerie
Validated User
Have you got Strands of Power? The updated versions of all the powers in the original book there are what I'm consulting (so if what I'm saying doesn't match up it might be because you're looking at the Core book and I'm looking at SOP).

1. I think that's a pretty straightforward application of the Augmented Movement power. Add as many Improved Speed modifiers as necessary.

2. This is covered directly by the Affliction power with the Sever Senses modifier.

3. You can but I don't think it's a great idea. In your example, I think it would be a lot better and make more sense if he just used Energy Control for both of those abilities.

mediapig

Validated User
Ah, Thank you! I do hand Strand of Power, but I forgot the old powers had new modifiers in there. If you don't mind, I do have one last question... How would you make that sense attack an area effect? I don't see an explosion modifier for affliction... Should I just steal the explosion modifier for ranged attack? I'm trying to build a character who can generate an explosion of light, that can blind potentially blind everyone in his zone (or more zones, depending on the area affect)

Thanks again for your help!

Leprenomichaun

Non-Euclidean faerie
Validated User
I think the “proper” way to do this would be to make it some sort of Linked Power with a Ranged Power Attack, but I think that’s probably more complicated than it needs to be.

I don’t see any problem with just using the Explosion modifier from Ranged Power Attack. I’d also say you’d need to take Affliction’s Ranged modifier so you can hit people without touching them, so the total cost should be 8 (= 4 Sever Senses +2 Ranged +2 Explosion).

Alternatively… now that I know what you’re after, I don’t see any reason why this couldn’t be done using the Imbue Creature power instead if you wanted to. Choose Blinded(P) as the aspect, take the Others Only, Ranged Effect and Additional Targets modifiers. Total cost is 5 (= 3 Imbue Creature -1 Others Only +1 Ranged Effect +2 Additional Targets). Cheaper by 3 points, but you only hit a number of targets up to your Affinity rather than hitting an entire zone.

Up to you.

mediapig

Validated User
I think the “proper” way to do this would be to make it some sort of Linked Power with a Ranged Power Attack, but I think that’s probably more complicated than it needs to be.

I don’t see any problem with just using the Explosion modifier from Ranged Power Attack. I’d also say you’d need to take Affliction’s Ranged modifier so you can hit people without touching them, so the total cost should be 8 (= 4 Sever Senses +2 Ranged +2 Explosion).

Alternatively… now that I know what you’re after, I don’t see any reason why this couldn’t be done using the Imbue Creature power instead if you wanted to. Choose Blinded(P) as the aspect, take the Others Only, Ranged Effect and Additional Targets modifiers. Total cost is 5 (= 3 Imbue Creature -1 Others Only +1 Ranged Effect +2 Additional Targets). Cheaper by 3 points, but you only hit a number of targets up to your Affinity rather than hitting an entire zone.

Up to you.
Ah, that's all incredibly helpful, thank you!

Top Bottom