(Strange FATE/FATE Kerberos Club) Skills and Trappings for Restraining Someone?

The Unshaven

Validated User
Greetings all!

I'm starting to embark on the grand experimentation and adaptation that I tend to do to games while I figure them out for Strange FATE and the FATE edition of The Kerberos Club.

One thing I noticed today while I've been noodling together some thoughts that will probably turn up here soon is that there doesn't seem to be a skill Trapping for restraining someone else.

Considering the likelihood that someone might want to summon phantasmal manacles, pin them to a wall with webbing (to pick something from thin air) or immobilise someone with a coat of ice, it seems like something it'd be worth having.

So, to summarise:

1) If you had someone who wanted a skill that could restrain someone, possibly with the Unnatural extra, what would you use, either in terms of an existing skill, or an existing trapping?
2) If you were going to invent a new trapping, where would you put it on the trapping map, and what kind of costs would you give moving to/through it, and adding it to a skill?

EDIT: The 'Physical Force' trapping would be a reasonable solution, with a (Major?) Snag that it can't be used to lift/throw if we're talking about a skill where that doesn't make sense, such as webbing or ice... What do people think?

- The Unshaven.

Last edited:

mcellis

Validated User
I would just set it up as a Block, which can be done with just about any skill depending on the situation. For a physical Block that restrains someone with phantasmal manacles, webbing, or coat of ice, most of those will probably be some sort of strange skill and require the Range Extra.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
I would just set it up as a Block, which can be done with just about any skill depending on the situation. For a physical Block that restrains someone with phantasmal manacles, webbing, or coat of ice, most of those will probably be some sort of strange skill and require the Range Extra.
Yep.

Quite a lot of standard superpowered stuff can be done with maneuvers, including Blocks. Block used to be its own trapping (sold separately), but ultimately it's just more fun if any skill can be used to set up a Block in the right circumstances. As long as you have a skill with trappings and Extras and a theme that all fit some sort of Block-like thing, you can use it to Block. For example, if you're Iceman, and you have a Strange skill called Ice Projection that lets you fire bits of ice at people, I think it's reasonable to say you can also use it to encase a guy in ice using a Block.

(For those wishing to exploit this facet of the system for their own selfish, cheaty ends, please see the sidebar on page 218. I thank you.)

Kardwill

Validated User
I don't have Kerberos, but if the restrain puts an end to the fight, I think it should be a taken-out or concession result in most Fate games.
If it's just part of the fight, a temporary hindrance, then a block or manoueuver with any thematically appropriate skill (Might, freeze-ray, etc...).

The Unshaven

Validated User
Thanks folks!

I had been pondering the 'taken out' issue myself, and had decided that Blocking would be the way to go; the core of the original post was that I wasn't entirely sure of where 'the capacity to block' was on the diagram... if it even was.

*cough* I am thinking I was overthinking it, to be honest. I'm in the shakedown "Let's include everything that MIGHT be involved just to get a maximum range for how much a given Unique Skill might cost" stage, so I'm not surprised it's something I wandered into.

The "You can Block with any appropriate skill" is an even simpler solution, and solves any and all questions I had on the issue.

- The Unshaven.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
I don't have Kerberos, but if the restrain puts an end to the fight, I think it should be a taken-out or concession result in most Fate games.
If it's just part of the fight, a temporary hindrance, then a block or manoueuver with any thematically appropriate skill (Might, freeze-ray, etc...).
Right. "He encases me in ice" is a pretty great concession, IMO.

Cgeist7

Validated User
I have a PC in my game with a Strange skill like this. Here's how we did it:

Prayers of Warding and Binding (5)
Power Tier: Exceptional (-1 Refresh)
Dodge + Unusual + Zone, Willpower + Unusual + Zone, Physical Force + Unusual
Flaw (-1): Charges (Minor) – Effects last number of rounds equal to the effort
Flaw (-2): Delay (Major) – Requires 2 rounds of preparation and chanting
Flaw (-2): Snag (Major) – Only affects demons and spirits
Flaw (-1): Snag (Minor) – Physical Force + Unusual can only be used to hold demon or spirit in location
Flaw (-2): Taxing

I went with the 3 trappings (Dodge, Willpower and Physical Force) because the character can protect everyone in the zone from demonic powers or influences or can use Physical Force to actively restrain one demon.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User

Flaw (-1): Snag (Minor) – Physical Force + Unusual can only be used to hold demon or spirit in location

I went with the 3 trappings (Dodge, Willpower and Physical Force) because the character can protect everyone in the zone from demonic powers or influences or can use Physical Force to actively restrain one demon.
Very cool! I'd say when in doubt, do what you did here and use Physical Force.

The Unshaven

Validated User
Right. "He encases me in ice" is a pretty great concession, IMO.
It really, really is.

For combat, I'd use a block in most cases, because it's more interesting and likely to work than going straight to Concession. That said, the Concession framework is a great one for having imaginative but nonfatal outcomes in cases like this.

Ee hee hee...

Very cool! I'd say when in doubt, do what you did here and use Physical Force.
I like it! And it's a good guideline, too, particularly for any skill with a particular focus on making that kind of focused restraint.

- The Unshaven.

Top Bottom