• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Strangest House Rule

kenco

Validated User
If your character goes looking for a cave or hole in the ground, it always finds one, and it always contains a very deadly monster.

Aetius-The-Gatherer

Validated User
Female gamers do not but anything
if they want something, snacks, pizza, a book, it was up to the men to provide.

which led to two arguments
1) Wives and girlfriends have very strong opinions about spending money specifically to spend time with women, ie we give it to the aforementioned wives and girlfriends (though parties made up entirely of angst ridden alcoholic halflings would be forbidden).
2) expressly written rules that it was up to menfolk to provide for women who were not allowed to spend their own money seemed...troublesome.

Chris Tavares

RPGnet Member
Validated User
If, while searching the area for something, you find a hedgehog, you're looking in the wrong place or for the wrong thing.

Faethor

Validated User
We had a rule where every Fumble with a firearm was a ricochet against a random player character. It was a house rule based on an in-joke regarding a particular player called Simon who was known for notoriously bad rolls with guns. The safest place to stand was in front of him!

beckermt

Validated User
We had a rota once where each player (and the GM) had to bring food to sessions. Delivery was out! Homecooked only!

That's right. I forced my players to learn life skills.

Bomberg

Validated User
... and for other tasks you had to take your stat, multiply it by 5 and then roll percentile dice and get less than the stat in question.
I still sometimes use something similar, with the factor not being 5 but depends on the task's difficulty: time 5 is an easy task whereas time 2 is pretty hard.

I took this rule from CoC 2e.

When I re-introduced this rule to my current group, the players showed some difficulty grogging the percentage die roll...

SorcererNinja

Ace Valkryie Pilot
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We had a rota once where each player (and the GM) had to bring food to sessions. Delivery was out! Homecooked only!

That's right. I forced my players to learn life skills.
I could actually see that being kinda fun, since it's potentially an opportunity to eat food that relates to the campaign setting. Bonus points if you're doing something that has an official cookbook you can draw on.

Kuildeous

Validated User
One house rule that bugged me was back with original Torg.

For those not familiar with the original rules, when you attack something, you generate a bonus number to apply to your combat skill. If you hit, then you apply the same bonus number to the damage. It made sense at the time, but it did have some wonky consequences, such as the "glass-jawed ninja".

But this GM had no concerns about glass-jawed ninja; he just didn't like using the same roll for attack and damage. So he had us roll a different bonus number for damage. The result was that if you worked hard to get a high enough bonus number to hit (through the expenditure of cards and XP) and then rolled a crappy bonus number for damage, then you had to spend more resources to make the attack worth it. Of course, there was the possibility of barely hitting and then blowing them out of the water with crazy damage, but it didn't make the sting of double-dipping resources less painful.

I wonder if that GM would be happier with how Torg Eternity redid damage where no bonus number is applied to damage. Damage is simply applied, and hitting by 5 or 10 results in rolling extra numbers on top of that damage.

Nicholas Carter

Validated User
The game Micro Dungeon (of "roll for shoes" fame) has no damage mechanic. So the houseful "every time your character gets hurt you have to take a shot" seemed quite reasonable at the time.
Our DM for that game hung up their screen, and never ran a game again.

Top Bottom