• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Subnautica: Life (and terrifying death) Under The Sea

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I started a second game and am about 10 hours into it. It's amazing what a difference knowing what to do makes. At 10 hours, I'm probably where I was at 25-30 in my first game. Some of that is knowing where and what to grab first (I put marblemelon farms in as soon as I built my first base module, and therefore didn't spend 3/4 of my time trying to catch fish for food and water). Interesting though, some of it is lack of fear. My first game, I explored in very tight spirals, afraid to go further than the game was pointing out with the radio messages. This time, I was all over the map using just a seaglide.

I found a time capsule and some nice soul left me three crystaline sulfur, and another had a Cyclops depth upgrade. Those two alone will cut some time out of my dives into the Inactive Lava Zone. I'm going to have to leave something nice in mine. As for the achievement, I read somewhere you only get it when someone actually finds your time capsule. But take that with a grain of salt, it was internet hearsay.

I've still got my first game saved right before the end, so I can go back and pick up the achievement when it gets fixed. Although, at this rate, I'll have my second game ready to go by then...heh.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I started a second game and am about 10 hours into it. It's amazing what a difference knowing what to do makes. At 10 hours, I'm probably where I was at 25-30 in my first game. Some of that is knowing where and what to grab first (I put marblemelon farms in as soon as I built my first base module, and therefore didn't spend 3/4 of my time trying to catch fish for food and water). Interesting though, some of it is lack of fear. My first game, I explored in very tight spirals, afraid to go further than the game was pointing out with the radio messages. This time, I was all over the map using just a seaglide.
See, I actually had the opposite thing. My exploration is going a little slower this time, because on my first playthrough, I learned very well the downsides of jumping into the first 900 meter abyss you find in the Prawn. It's gotten me killed much less, but also stopped me from serendipitously finding some rare minerals relatively early. ... I also don't have a Cyclops yet and have barely touched the Prawn, because you can explore basically everything except the lava zones in a fully-upgraded Seamoth.

Last edited:

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
I've played 72 hours in various versions of the game and have never really used the Prawn so far. Built it and clumped around near my home base a little, nothing more.

I just discovered the inactive magma zone and the Seamoth-defeating depths there, so I'm preparing for my first-ever real Prawn dive. Not sure how I'm supposed to haul the thiing back out though.

I'd have jumped in already, but my vehicles decided to spend a while glitching into things and getting stuck so I took a break. (First my Seamoth got impaled by a suddenly-manifesting base support beam. Then after I stomped it loose with my Prawn and stashed it in my moonpool, the Prawn somehow vanished into the ground irretrievably...)
Right now the main thing holding me back is finding where to get silver,
There are other kinds of stone nodules you'll encounter, usually slightly further out and/or deeper than the sandstone ones.

EDIT: Uh, though those actually are not actually a source of silver. But the sandstone get a lot more common.

Last edited:

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just discovered the inactive magma zone and the Seamoth-defeating depths there, so I'm preparing for my first-ever real Prawn dive. Not sure how I'm supposed to haul the thiing back out though.
Jumpjets and the grappling hook help a lot for getting out of deep pits. For getting it around in general, that's... about the only real use I ever found for the Cyclops.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Jumpjets and the grappling hook help a lot for getting out of deep pits. For getting it around in general, that's... about the only real use I ever found for the Cyclops.
Cyclops makes a fantastic mobile grow bed. You can almost completely eliminate food and water expenditure.

...Though that'll be less true on lengthy prawn jaunts since crops aren't portable food.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cyclops makes a fantastic mobile grow bed. You can almost completely eliminate food and water expenditure.

...Though that'll be less true on lengthy prawn jaunts since crops aren't portable food.
I use the pots instead of the beds. Takes up much less room. I find three pots (so, 12 melons) is plenty for food and water purposes. Eat three, use the fourth for replanting the pot. Three ensures I always have a full pot ready. I have more in my base, but I also use a bioreactor.

IMHO, the Cyclops basically exist to cart the Prawn around. It's mobile base function does come in handy once you need to explore past the lost river. I set up a power cell charging base at the main junction of the river, and then used my Cyclops as a base as I went deeper. I had fabricators, mod stations, food, a bed, battery chargers, basically everything. Which came in handy later on, as I had to fabricate some items deep down. Saved me a trip back. Heck, I even upgraded my Cyclops depth module while 1100m down once I found some kyanite. Which was scary, as I forgot I had to remove the module before upgrading it. Oh, did my Cyclops groan and creak as I ran like a madman to replace it. Worked, though:)

This time around, I might try exploring past the river with a Prawn alone. A lot of the annoyances I had first game was due to the cyclops. Not sure about that though. I'll probably want to bring the cyclops to the river at least at first.

As for exploring with the prawn, you definitely want the grapple arm. Between that and the jets, you can get out of most places. The upgraded jumpjets make a huge differnce though, so highly recommend those ASAP.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
See, I actually had the opposite thing. My exploration is going a little slower this time, because on my first playthrough, I learned very well the downsides of jumping into the first 900 meter abyss you find in the Prawn. It's gotten me killed much less, but also stopped me from serendipitously finding some rare minerals relatively early. ... I also don't have a Cyclops yet and have barely touched the Prawn, because you can explore basically everything except the lava zones in a fully-upgraded Seamoth.
Yeah, the seamoth is the most useful for sure. I was too afraid to jump down deep holes my first game, so I missed out on some of that serendipity. This time, I know where to go to find them. For example, I used the seaglide to get to the mountain island right near the beginning, because I knew the beach cliff there a was a safe place to find diamonds. Didn't want to start exploring wrecks without a laser cutter...saves on backtracking.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heck, I even upgraded my Cyclops depth module while 1100m down once I found some kyanite. Which was scary, as I forgot I had to remove the module before upgrading it. Oh, did my Cyclops groan and creak as I ran like a madman to replace it. Worked, though:)
I did that too :) I built the vehicle mod station right next to the Cyclops upgrade slots and saved my game beforehand, just in case it all went wrong!

The Cyclops steers like a pig, and I agree that it's main uses are prawn transport and mobile base for hard to reach areas. It's quite helpful to add the heat recharger upgrade, as it makes the Cyclops mostly self-powering. Tbh, the big power cells have so much oomph that taking a few spares also works nicely. I do wish there was an easy way to get rid of the battery-eating worms :(

I also really wish the Seamoth could be upgraded past 900m, as it's the only sub I genuinely enjoy using. The prawn is useful for mining, but I've never quite got the hang of moving it smoothly with the grapple hooks/jump jets.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ugh, those battery eating worms drove me nuts. I had two full sets of cells, and still barely made it back to my river charging base. The thermal recharging barely kept up. Of course, I got lost a lot, and used sonar and silent running heavily. But it's why I'm thinking of doing a Prawn only dive once past the river. The worms don't bother it quite so much it seems. Or maybe I just knew where to go when I had to go back, and didn't stand around attracting the little creeps. Once again, I have to give credit to the debs for the handily placed warp gates down there though. Makes going back there a breeze, as long as you turned them all on the first time.

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
IMHO, the Cyclops basically exist to cart the Prawn around. It's mobile base function does come in handy once you need to explore past the lost river. I set up a power cell charging base at the main junction of the river, and then used my Cyclops as a base as I went deeper.
:O

There are ghost leviathans down there! I'd be terrified to take the Cyclops down there, especially since unlike the Seamoth, it's not fast enough to just run away if it gets into trouble.

Most hostile enemies in the game are pretty easy to deal with if you just avoid them, but ghost leviathans, warpers, and crabsquids... those guys are jerks. I haven't yet died to any of them, but I did have a very terrifying ten minutes or so trying to explore a seabase while a crabsquid growled at me through the window, EMP'd me every ten seconds, and occasionally started attacking the Seamoth on general principle, forcing me to rush out to repair it.

Top Bottom