• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Subnautica: Life (and terrifying death) Under The Sea

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
:O

There are ghost leviathans down there! I'd be terrified to take the Cyclops down there, especially since unlike the Seamoth, it's not fast enough to just run away if it gets into trouble.

Most hostile enemies in the game are pretty easy to deal with if you just avoid them, but ghost leviathans, warpers, and crabsquids... those guys are jerks. I haven't yet died to any of them, but I did have a very terrifying ten minutes or so trying to explore a seabase while a crabsquid growled at me through the window, EMP'd me every ten seconds, and occasionally started attacking the Seamoth on general principle, forcing me to rush out to repair it.
Get a stasis rifle, and/or Seamoth zapper module. Neither helps defend the cyclops directly but they sure do help you re-educate would-be threats. (Repulsion rifle might work too, but I haven't bothered with that.)

In particular I've got a policy of knifing the heck out of any Warper that looks at me crosswise after tagging it with a stasis shot. And I scared one crabsquid so badly with my Seamoth that it fled into a wall and seems to have been unable to find its way back out. I haven't picked a serious fight with a ghost leviathan yet...but I'm pretty sure that's something you can reasonably aim to win if you have to.

Also note the cyclops is tough and fast. Aggressive things generally have pretty limited ranges, and if you just punch the flank speed and run through you can clear them before getting in much trouble. That's how I used to deal with boneshark swarms, back when they would attack a Cyclops. Also how I got out of my terrifying and unplanned Reaper encounter last night. Obviously you need to know where to run to, though, which can be a problem in cave systems.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Also, leviathans seem only bothered by noise. Silent running can keep you safe, and if it doesn't, you can power down the engine and shut the lights off and they lose interest.

Those crab squids are the reason I bothered with the Prawn in the first place. I tried taking a seamoth to that base first, and also got ripped apart. The next time, I parked my cyclops 10m directly above it and dropped my Prawn right on top of it. The crab squid still tried to attack me, but he got a drill to the face, got caught on the base while trying to get away and died.

Warpers are the worst problem being in a Prawn. Trying to get up from the deep great reef, I'd make it halfway up and get warped out. Very frustrating watching your unpiloted Prawn drop back down where you started...

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've gotta say, the last leg of the game has soured me on it a bit.

Spoiler: Show
The lava zones are kinda BS in general. That's a long, long slog in the Prawn, for one. I never would've found the thermal plant without the wiki assuring me it's there. The deeper lava zone is relatively short and easy to navigate, but makes up for it by having warpers snipe-teleport you out of the Prawn mid-jump, leaving it to fall into lava while you scramble around frantically trying to find it. (Seriously, if I lost a fully-upgraded Prawn at that point, I'm not sure I could find the willpower to gear back up and finish the game.) Aaaaand then I got to the containment facility, at the end of the whole thing, and... found out I needed a blue tablet. Which is in a locked room that... I need a purple tablet to unlock. So now I'm trudging all the way back out and back in just to fob off some macguffins at doors.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've gotta say, the last leg of the game has soured me on it a bit.

The lava zones are kinda BS in general. That's a long, long slog in the Prawn, for one. I never would've found the thermal plant without the wiki assuring me it's there. The deeper lava zone is relatively short and easy to navigate, but makes up for it by having warpers snipe-teleport you out of the Prawn mid-jump, leaving it to fall into lava while you scramble around frantically trying to find it. (Seriously, if I lost a fully-upgraded Prawn at that point, I'm not sure I could find the willpower to gear back up and finish the game.) Aaaaand then I got to the containment facility, at the end of the whole thing, and... found out I needed a blue tablet. Which is in a locked room that... I need a purple tablet to unlock. So now I'm trudging all the way back out and back in just to fob off some macguffins at doors.
I felt the exact same way! Although I did bring most of what I needed (or could fabricate it on my cyclops). I was all set to rant about the whole thing. Seemed way out of line difficulty-wise to the rest of the game. However, after going through it once, the second time was a breeze (I had missed a set of blueprints I needed). Make sure you turn on all the warp gates you find, in case you need to go back in.

I'm really interested to see how it goes this game for me.

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I backtracked, fabricated a new purple tablet, opened the door, got the blue tablet, and opened the door to the containment facility!

WHICH NEEDS ANOTHER BLUE TABLET TO PROGRESS ARE YOU KIDDING ME

sigh At least there're plenty of warp gates from the facility to pretty tame biomes near the center of the map.

On a much lighter note: I found out you can ramp the Seamoth out of the water. I, uh, have yet to figure out how to get it back in to the water.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I backtracked, fabricated a new purple tablet, opened the door, got the blue tablet, and opened the door to the containment facility!

WHICH NEEDS ANOTHER BLUE TABLET TO PROGRESS ARE YOU KIDDING ME

sigh At least there're plenty of warp gates from the facility to pretty tame biomes near the center of the map.

On a much lighter note: I found out you can ramp the Seamoth out of the water. I, uh, have yet to figure out how to get it back in to the water.

Can you lift it with the repulsor ray gun?

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Can you lift it with the repulsor ray gun?
Somebody told me the repulsion cannon can knock it around on land, yeah. I haven't carried it since I got the stasis rifle, though. ... as far as I am in the game, I'm considering just leaving the poor Seamoth there.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Somebody told me the repulsion cannon can knock it around on land, yeah. I haven't carried it since I got the stasis rifle, though. ... as far as I am in the game, I'm considering just leaving the poor Seamoth there.
Yeah, that's probably doable.

I always carry all my tools...a bit of a pack rat. I usually just used the repulsor for moving crates and boxes though. Now that I think about it, I guess I didn't need to do that after the Aurora.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Yeah, that's probably doable.

I always carry all my tools...a bit of a pack rat. I usually just used the repulsor for moving crates and boxes though. Now that I think about it, I guess I didn't need to do that after the Aurora.
There's at least one wreck with a door that has to be cleared that way. Of course, you could get it before the Aurora or probably do fine missing it entirely.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just finished the game, and without giving away any spoilers, that was awesome :) Definitely worth pushing through a few awkward spots near the end (*cough* lava zones *cough*). I can't recommend the map mod enough, especially for the late game.

Top Bottom