• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Subnautica: Life (and terrifying death) Under The Sea

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Here is the last third or so of the game for me:

Lost my Seamoth trying to find the island a second time; after wandering for about an hour without managing it, I crossed into the dead zone while distracted and it got smashed by Ghost Leviathans.
Wandered around in abysses trying to find the Lost River for an hour. (This is the point where I gave up and got the map mod.)
Lost Seamoth #2 due to having it mysteriously disappear near the island while I was exploring.
Spent an hour running back and forth shuttling key items to the final story area.
Lost Seamoth #3 when it suddenly clipped down two meters into solid ground after I beached it.
Spent about half an hour wandering around in confusion because the very last leg of the plot stuff has some ambiguities that I misinterpreted.
Couldn't get the Neptune platform to build, due to an apparently-known issue where some vehicle bays just... won't do anything when you click the button to build it.
At this point I kinda threw my hands in the air and used cheatcodes to give myself a new non-bugged Seamoth and vehicle bay.
... Seamoth #4 was eaten pretty much in one gulp when a Reaper Leviathan apparently chased me down without ever crossing into my field of vision or making a noise.
...... on my next trip past the area, on my Seaglide, the leviathan did the same thing, this time swallowing me.

Like, dang, overall a very good game, but I'm not even ashamed to admit that I cheated all the materials for the last bit because I just wanted it to be over at that point. I'm definitely gonna recommend anybody I know who picks it up to play with the map mod and not hesitate to go to the wiki if they get stuck for too long.

Last edited:

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Having now jumped a Prawn into a deep hole and clawed back out, I have to say that the jump-grapple-rest cycle seems rather silly. Effective, but silly.

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Having now jumped a Prawn into a deep hole and clawed back out, I have to say that the jump-grapple-rest cycle seems rather silly. Effective, but silly.
I'm afraid that I already found the silliest use of it by Prawn-surfing atop a reefback.

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That just seems correct. Probably tricky to get the thing up there though?
Not actually that difficult, since they're fairly slow and the Prawn can jump really high with the jump jet upgrade.

Although I did find out that the game just kinda assumes the Prawn's always gonna be on solid, unmoving ground. If you hold still atop something that moves, the Prawn will just stay in place until it's hovering in the air.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not actually that difficult, since they're fairly slow and the Prawn can jump really high with the jump jet upgrade.

Although I did find out that the game just kinda assumes the Prawn's always gonna be on solid, unmoving ground. If you hold still atop something that moves, the Prawn will just stay in place until it's hovering in the air.
You could grapple and hold on maybe? I've heard of people lassoing reapers that way (and going for a pretty wild ride...) :)

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
You could grapple and hold on maybe? I've heard of people lassoing reapers that way (and going for a pretty wild ride...) :)
As long as you move, I think it's fine. It just doesn't update things like 'is there still ground under me?' when it's standing still.

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've continued exploring and made a lot of progress. Just discovered my first advanced resource, aerogel, and if I can find a ton more titanium I'll be able to build a cyclops. Right now I've got a seamoth and a handful of upgrades to that and my dive suit. The extra storage in the seamoth is really nice. (I've also finally gotten missiles for it, but haven't figured out yet how to actually shoot them.)

I'm getting farther in what I think is the plot, too.
Spoiler: Show
I've discovered two alien structures so far, a gate and a vent. I've also made it to dry land, which is disturbing. I'm getting very confused about the timeline. If the people who were living on dry land were from the same ship as me, they were there for months at least, and longer if the rusted structures are any indication. Was I unconscious for a lot longer than I thought? Or is something else going on?

It's also disturbing how they talked about becoming part of the ecosystem. I'm starting to worry more about that bacterial infection I've picked up. Especially since, if I remember correctly, all the empty lifepods I'm finding were destroyed from the *inside*.

I've also found two time capsules, which were much appreciated. One was mostly duplicates, basic tools like scanners and repair tools. But the other was full of awesome stuff like a stasis rifle, an ion battery, and an ion power cell.

I'm not sure if the game is trying to get me to kill things to gather resources. I did end up killing a stalker with a stasis rifle and a knife, but they don't drop teeth. As far as I can tell they just occasionally randomly drop teeth.

I've also started putting together a nice base, with a coffee machine and everything. The floating island gave me the blueprint for a multipurpose room, so I've set up a farm in there. I've got a moonpool too, but as far as I can tell I can't connect it to my base.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Spoiler: Show
I've discovered two alien structures so far, a gate and a vent. I've also made it to dry land, which is disturbing. I'm getting very confused about the timeline. If the people who were living on dry land were from the same ship as me, they were there for months at least, and longer if the rusted structures are any indication. Was I unconscious for a lot longer than I thought? Or is something else going on?

It's also disturbing how they talked about becoming part of the ecosystem. I'm starting to worry more about that bacterial infection I've picked up. Especially since, if I remember correctly, all the empty lifepods I'm finding were destroyed from the *inside*.
Uh, pay attention to the name of their ship, and remember the name of yours...
I'm not sure if the game is trying to get me to kill things to gather resources. I did end up killing a stalker with a stasis rifle and a knife, but they don't drop teeth. As far as I can tell they just occasionally randomly drop teeth.
It's really not. I'm not aware of anywhere in the game where you get resources by violence. If you want to you can knife small herbivores and collect their corpses rather than just grabbing them alive, but that's only useful if you have the modded knife that instantly cooks them.

Stalkers lose teeth (occasionally) when they play with metal bits.
I've got a moonpool too, but as far as I can tell I can't connect it to my base.
You can, trivially. Try attaching a corridor to your multipurpose room...

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Moonpool connectivity can actually be pretty finicky. I had a lot of trouble getting mine into a position where it would hook up, but I eventually managed it. You also can't rotate it, which can cause problems -- it's automatically aligned with the first foundation you built in the current base. Advice I've heard is that, if you're making a second or later base, probably one in the deeper areas you explore in the late game, place the moonpool first, and build everything else around it.

If you're having trouble finding titanium, the best advice I have is to build a scanner room once you have the blueprints. You can set it to scan for metal salvage, and it'll make a map with all the ones in range highlighted. The real improvement comes when you can build the HUD chip, though -- when you do that, it'll essentially place a temporary beacon on every piece of salvage in range, so you can just swim straight for them. When I need to build an upgrade and don't have the materials, if they're something that can be found within range of my main base, I just turn on the scanner and go out collecting.

Top Bottom