Subnautica: Life (and terrifying death) Under The Sea

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Another way to find titanium is to go the green kelp zones, and steal the ship parts that the predatory fish stack up. If you've got a seaglide, you can easily outmaneuver the fishies and steal their precious loot.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Another way to find titanium is to go the green kelp zones, and steal the ship parts that the predatory fish stack up. If you've got a seaglide, you can easily outmaneuver the fishies and steal their precious loot.
Yeah, that's what I usually did. I rarely bothered to keep more than a few titanium on hand, since a quick lap of the kelp zones can usually easily get you 3-4 pieces of wreckage. If your main base is somewhere deeper, it's probably more useful to stock up on, though.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, it looks like there's another map mod out for those looking for an alternative. This one integrates the map to your beacon tab. It has fog of war, which you clear either by direct exploration or by using scanner rooms. It marks wrecks and beacons, and shows topography, but doesn't show biomes. I'm trying it out, and so far am enjoying the fog of war aspect. It is also making me want to actually build more than one scanner room. I usually just use one in the shallows to make low end material finding easier (stalker teeth!), but now I'm considering installing one in each major biome section. You can directly alter the colour of the wrecks/beacons right on the map, so it gives you a way of makrking each wreck 'cleared' if you so desire. Also, the fact that it's integrated, means you have to stop to reference it...no 'eyes on the map' as you drive, like with the other version. Helps keep me honest :).

I've only tried it out for about fifteen minutes, but seems to do what is advertised. Link is here: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12?tab=description&BH=0 for the curious(includes screenshots).

Edit: the only downside over the other mod is that it isn't levelled. By what I mean, if you go down in the Jellyshroom caves, it doesn't flip to a map of the caves...still shows surface map. So navigating the lost river or lava zones will still be tricky. Which is sad, as those are the areas a map comes in most handy.

Last edited:

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
After having used the new map mod last night, I really think it's a good compromise between giving you the information you need, without excessive hand holding. The fact that you can't have it open while driving makes beacons still useful, as you'll need them to navigate (unless you want to stop every minute or so to check your map).

Also, although the scanner rooms reveal terrain in their radius, they don't automatically populate wreck marks. Those only show up if you actually physically find the location yourself. Granted, you can use the scanner room to scan for wrecks, thereby showing where you go looking, but that works for me.

Just the ability to be able to see where you haven't been, and mark off wrecks as you clear them, is a godsend. This is the level of map I think should have been included. Oh, and one nice feature is you can remotely change the scanning target of the scanner room, as long as you are within the scanning radius. Very nice.

It actually makes me want to use the cyclops more as a mobile base earlier in the game. Last night, I'd drive out to the center of a new area, build a mini scanner base and then explore the area around with my Seamoth. My cyclops has food/water/bedding, so I could retreat there to unload and rest. Once I had that area cleared, I could dismantle the base, load it in the cyclops and move to a new area. If there was a better way to keep the Cyclops charged, I'd rarely end up going back home.

Anyway, liking it so far. Haven't tried it down deep, and I think it may be less useful down there. But I'm on my third game right now, and am pretty familiar with the Lost River and such already. I was about 60-70% through this game when I installed the mod...it will be interesting to try it from a fresh start (although with the new Stellaris expansion dropping in less than an hour, that may have to wait...heh).

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a really interesting talk on youtube from the devs behind Subnautica about how they developed the game. It's fairly long, but well delivered and engaging.

Knaight

Validated User
I tried this a while back, bounced off it, and left it abandoned for a good year. Then I came back, and that second time it stuck its hooks into me a bit - I'd left just before the base building started, which really changes the game up dramatically. I've generally liked it, though the search based tech tree has led me to having some weird blueprint availability patterns. Getting the battery recharger long after the power cell recharger, having had the Cyclops for a while now but still no prawn suit, having some uranium ore but still no magnetite, there's some jank in there.

There are ghost leviathans down there! I'd be terrified to take the Cyclops down there, especially since unlike the Seamoth, it's not fast enough to just run away if it gets into trouble.
I found this one out the hard way. RIP first Cyclops, and the first Seamoth that was docked on it.

Requiem_17_23

Mrglglglgl
Validated User
Similarly I never took my Cyclops into the River. It was for ferrying all my shit between my base (with mod stations and so on) and the decent mining down Below.

I guess I could have built a base Below. I never really felt comfortable to, with the threats and all. Didn't feel like there was anywhere that was both deep enough for geothermal power and safe enough that I was confident my base wasn't going to be eaten by leviathans. Perhaps I was just too afraid of the leviathans and I should have put a base in the Lost River to build the modules that want materials you only get from the depths.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I tried this a while back, bounced off it, and left it abandoned for a good year. Then I came back, and that second time it stuck its hooks into me a bit - I'd left just before the base building started, which really changes the game up dramatically. I've generally liked it, though the search based tech tree has led me to having some weird blueprint availability patterns. Getting the battery recharger long after the power cell recharger, having had the Cyclops for a while now but still no prawn suit, having some uranium ore but still no magnetite, there's some jank in there.
Yeah, I feel like the big degree of chance/luck with unlocks is one of the game's biggest issues. One of my friends picked it up on my recommendation a few months ago, and... after spending two days hunting for the last piece of the mobile vehicle bay blueprint with no luck, got frustrated and dropped it. I couldn't even really give her any advice beyond "Have you gone to the Aurora? Yes? Oh, uh, well... I guess the rest is in wreckage somewhere."

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Similarly I never took my Cyclops into the River. It was for ferrying all my shit between my base (with mod stations and so on) and the decent mining down Below.

I guess I could have built a base Below. I never really felt comfortable to, with the threats and all. Didn't feel like there was anywhere that was both deep enough for geothermal power and safe enough that I was confident my base wasn't going to be eaten by leviathans. Perhaps I was just too afraid of the leviathans and I should have put a base in the Lost River to build the modules that want materials you only get from the depths.
I found a cozy spot or two just past the big cliff drop-off where I always find much of my ruby and uranium ore. I think it's pretty near the entry to certain critical caverns as well.

I also managed to slap one down inside the cavern before the River, but it made me super duper twitchy with some of the critters swimming around that vicinity.

IIRC there's also a geothermal vent around the edge of the starter zone, probably near the kelp forest, that you can tap if you want to, but there's not really much reason to since you can just build solar.

Knaight

Validated User
One of these days I'm going to learn to scout the depths before bringing the Cyclops there. It is not this day. Ghost leviathans and I are not getting along, and while they've only killed the ship once I've had three ugly run ins. Decoys are a wonderful thing though.

Top Bottom