• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Subnautica: Life (and terrifying death) Under The Sea

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Yeah you really need to know where you're going if you're bringing the Cyclops down the caves. To start off they can be very cramped and hard to maneuvre into

OTOH you can leave the cyclops near any place with the EMP jellyfish safey, as its only weapon against it is the EMP and so no permanent damage happens as long as you shoot the thing away when you board

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Similarly I never took my Cyclops into the River. It was for ferrying all my shit between my base (with mod stations and so on) and the decent mining down Below.

I guess I could have built a base Below. I never really felt comfortable to, with the threats and all. Didn't feel like there was anywhere that was both deep enough for geothermal power and safe enough that I was confident my base wasn't going to be eaten by leviathans. Perhaps I was just too afraid of the leviathans and I should have put a base in the Lost River to build the modules that want materials you only get from the depths.
I built a base in the cavern with the big tree, between the river and the lava area. There's a geothermal vent there and no hostile creatures. Building a scanner room there was the only way I finally managed to find crystalline sulfur.

Yeah, I feel like the big degree of chance/luck with unlocks is one of the game's biggest issues. One of my friends picked it up on my recommendation a few months ago, and... after spending two days hunting for the last piece of the mobile vehicle bay blueprint with no luck, got frustrated and dropped it. I couldn't even really give her any advice beyond "Have you gone to the Aurora? Yes? Oh, uh, well... I guess the rest is in wreckage somewhere."
Yeah. I spent a while wondering if the arm attachments for the Prawn suit were in the lava area, since I couldn't find them anywhere else for the longest time. Thankfully I asked a friend before taking a suit down to search for them, since that would have been incredibly painful (and I still wouldn't have found them). I eventually ended up looking up wreck locations on the wiki to find them.

Knaight

Validated User
I just built a base in the river itself. The ghost leviathan that I know full well is there has been leaving it alone, probably because it's still and quiet.

I still don't have the Prawn suit. I've found basically every arm piece, upgrade, etc. to it, but the suit itself? Nada. Hell, I just had "prawn suit drill arm" appear as scanner radar to the tune of seven of them popping up all at once.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
I just built a base in the river itself. The ghost leviathan that I know full well is there has been leaving it alone, probably because it's still and quiet.

I still don't have the Prawn suit. I've found basically every arm piece, upgrade, etc. to it, but the suit itself? Nada. Hell, I just had "prawn suit drill arm" appear as scanner radar to the tune of seven of them popping up all at once.
I'm pretty sure the Aurora has a full Prawn suit in the hangar bay, have you checked?

Base Delta Zero

Validated User
The game is freaking beautiful and the immersion in VR is amazing. However it made me so nauseous I couldn't play for more than 15 minutes at a time, the movement is just to fast compared to my frame of reference. I'll give it another shot later but man is it rough.
Yeah, the VR is awful. Prone to locking at odd angles, renders the PDA menu as if it was actually held an inch from your face, and the HUD is waaaaay off in the corner of your eye.

And then I start feeling like the guy from the trailer...
Spoiler: Show
Hey, that's a friendly sea monster!

Didn't feel like there was anywhere that was both deep enough for geothermal power and safe enough that I was confident my base wasn't going to be eaten by leviathans.
Creatures won't attack bases. They can still damage them if they incidentally hit them, though.

Top Bottom