• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Subnautica: Life (and terrifying death) Under The Sea

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
I've been really, really enjoying the Neebs Gaming Let's Play. Since they do games as a group, and this is single player, what they instead do is have a single one of their team playing the game, and the others are all playing as members of the Company that had sent the ship you were on, and are acting as sort of an OnStar style tech support from back on Earth.

And they're hilarious. Some of the funniest stuff I've watched. The game itself looks neat, but I think it'd get kinda boring watching it as a single player for any length of time. But this adds this wierd semi-scripted comedy/drama aspect to the whole thing. I'm especially fond of the pizza dude. :)

Anyway, this game does look like a lot of fun. But I think I'd get kinda bored with it after a bit playing single player. I've been loving playing Ark: Survival Evolved with friends, and I think this would be really neat if there was a multiplayer/coop aspect to it.

That said... I have this slight fear of open and deep water. Even in games like Warcraft I get a little twitchy diving underwater. So I also kinda fear this game as well, since there's some big and really creepy shit in that water.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I started playing yesterday, and so far I'm very bad at not dying. Half the time because I see something I wanna check out in the deep, deep water, and don't surface quickly enough to, y'know, keep breathing. Not that it matters that much right at the moment, since I've established a base of operations and I'm just kinda wandering around until I find the supplies I need to make a repair tool or a laser cutter.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You'll probably get the repair tool first -- one of the materials for the laser cutter requires you to go further afield, but everything you need for the repair tool is pretty close to the lifepod. If you're interested in specifics, I'll spoil them for you.

Spoiler: Show
The titanium should be pretty easy to find -- you can either break open limestone nodules, or salvage the miscellaneous debris from the ship scattered around.

Salt is rarer, but not too uncommon. Just watch the sea floor for clumps of squarish crystals. They're scattered around pretty much anywhere.

The sulphur/crashfish powder is the trickiest. Search caves, tunnels, or canyons near the lifepod. Eventually, you'll suddenly have a plant pop open and a red fish swim out of it, charge at you and explode. Once that's done, check the plant -- there's a chance you'll find the sulphur in it. If not, hunt down another plant, or come back to the same one another day. You'll find some eventually.

It's easy to get so caught up in things that you drown, I've found, especially early in the game. There are tools that can help, though, from better oxygen tanks to an inflatable bladder that'll rocket you back to the surface.

I played a bit recently, after leaving it on a break for a while -- it's still good, but I'm kind of waiting for a few more releases, just because I don't want to get all caught up in building something and then want to start all over again because they've added something major.

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, I've got the oxygen tank and the air bladder. I've just had to really teach myself that when I'm 160m underwater, the thirty second warning doesn't mean I can poke around for another twenty seconds, it means get out now.

And I finally managed to craft the repair tool after realizing those little exploding jerks in caves are Crashfish.
The Aurora is no longer going to kill everything with radiation in about eleven hours, so y'know, that's cool. I now also have the full schematic for something called a Seamoth... but not the base attachment I presumably need to build it. Guess I need to poke around some more wreckage.

Last edited:

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think I get now why the PRAWN warns you against feeling omnipotent the first time you board it, because I immediately took it and jumped into the deepest trench I knew of, and I have a few regrets.

Also, the Sunbeam is headed toward the planet. This, um, this isn't gonna end well, is it.

Rabbit Éclair

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh yeah, having now seen the full thing and read the previous spoilers on the topic...

I'd actually found the weapon platform island hours before I got the call from the Sunbeam... which sorta made it worse, because by time they were inbound, I knew what was gonna happen and that I was powerless to stop it.

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I got it, but my computer crashes whenever I look at water. Turns out there's a lot of water in this game. :(

This is apparently a known bug with no fix last time I checked. Certain graphics cards just can't play the game.

flashedarling

Validated User
It just came out and since it is VR compatible I decided to break the Oculus Rift out of storage and try it out.

The game is freaking beautiful and the immersion in VR is amazing. However it made me so nauseous I couldn't play for more than 15 minutes at a time, the movement is just to fast compared to my frame of reference. I'll give it another shot later but man is it rough.

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I just picked this up yesterday. I've had my eye on it for a long time now, and it came close to making me break my "no early access games" rule. But it was worth the wait.

This has just enough survival requirements to keep it interesting, but not so much that it becomes tedious. The environments, visual and audio are amazing, and more than a little frightening on occasions. The storyline is coming at a good pace...just enough to feed me the next breadcrumb so I always have something to aim for. All in all, really enjoying it (now if only I could find more silver...).

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It just came out and since it is VR compatible I decided to break the Oculus Rift out of storage and try it out.

The game is freaking beautiful and the immersion in VR is amazing. However it made me so nauseous I couldn't play for more than 15 minutes at a time, the movement is just to fast compared to my frame of reference. I'll give it another shot later but man is it rough.
Take some dramamine about half an hour before you play it.

Do that a few times and that should train your body to the point where you won't need the dramamine anymore.

Top Bottom