• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Subnautica: Life (and terrifying death) Under The Sea

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What is the basic gameplay loop?
It's still, at its heart, a crafting survival game, so you basically explore, find materials, and use them to craft gear that will help you explore farther/deeper/faster/safer. There's an actual defined goal and plot, though, which avoids the trap that a lot of the genre falls into of just 'build and kill progressively bigger things until you get bored.' It's very good at feeding you a series of smaller goals that give some structure to the whole thing, while still giving you freedom to do everything at your own pace and in your own way.

Last edited:

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What is the basic gameplay loop?
Explore, find recipes, gather materials, make things. Interspersed with story stuff, as you get messages from escape pods and spoiler-y plot stuff. The plot gives direction to the exploration, and encourages you to travel to new places. As you find recipes, that leads you to want to find new materials to carry on the cycle.

coelocanth

Hapless Henchman
Validated User
There's a game mode with no food/water requirements if the exploration is more interesting than the survival.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Spoiler: Show
All the boomerang fish have glowing green scrofula. Poor little fishies.

Solarn

Validated User
I hope there will eventually be an expansion or DLC with new environments, I absolutely love the world of Subnautica and want to see more of it. Also, new leviathans please.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I hope there will eventually be an expansion or DLC with new environments, I absolutely love the world of Subnautica and want to see more of it. Also, new leviathans please.
Supposedly they're planning an arctic DLC.

Afterburner

Remarkably expressive bandages
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do resources respawn? Or will dwindling local resources eventually force you to move?

I feel like fishing has become more difficult near Lifepod 5. Seems like I have to swim further and further out to catch food now because there aren't any fish aside from rays within 50m of the lifepod. Can't tell if I'm just imagining it or what.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do resources respawn? Or will dwindling local resources eventually force you to move?

I feel like fishing has become more difficult near Lifepod 5. Seems like I have to swim further and further out to catch food now because there aren't any fish aside from rays within 50m of the lifepod. Can't tell if I'm just imagining it or what.
I can't find anything confirming this, but every resource I can think of slowly respawns over time... at least, as far as the small deposits go. Not quite as sure as the larger ones.

Top Bottom