[Sufficiently Advanced] Tell me of your experiences

Colin Fredericks

Dorkasaurus Rex
Validated User
As the author, I probably don't count. :) But I'd love to know what other people think. Perhaps some of the folks from the playtests would like to comment - should I point them towards this thread?

--Colin Fredericks

Ladegard

Validated User
Feel free, I'd love to hear from them. I'm enjoying the bloody heck out of reading the book and am looking for ideas and comments from others.

Oh, and it's not like I wouldn't want to hear from an author as well. ;)

I read the book, and I love it! I totally geek out about this stuff... I loaned it to a friend, after he reads it and we discuss it, I'll post here about our conversation.

I really enjoyed playing SA. I'm not an uber gamer and I found the game to be both fun and user friendly. There was a lot of room for varied characters and the sky really is the limit when it comes to the narrative. If you enjoy creating detailed, fantastic characters and scenes then SA will work well for you. Cheers!

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Validated User
Color Hardcover, $60
Color Perfect-Bound, $45
B&W Hardcover, $40
B&W Perfect-Bound, $25
Download: $25 (color?)

Seems a bit pricey for a >200 page book. No offense intended. I also thought it funny that hardbinding is cheaper than color printing.

Colin Fredericks

Dorkasaurus Rex
Validated User
Color Hardcover, $60
Color Perfect-Bound, $45
B&W Hardcover, $40
B&W Perfect-Bound, $25
Download: $25 (color?)

Seems a bit pricey for a <200 page book. No offense intended. I also thought it funny that hardbinding is cheaper than color printing.
No offense taken. Color printing is very expensive. I actually make 30% more profit from the black-and-white versions, because the printing cost differences are so steep. Making a hardcover book is significantly cheaper.

The download is indeed in color, and is $5 cheaper at <a href="http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=51719">RPGNow</a> / <a href="http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=51719">DriveThruRPG</a>. The Lulu version has 300 dpi resolution rather than 150, which is why it's slightly more expensive and a much bigger download.

But enough about economics. Do you have any questions about the game I might help to answer? Just looking for play experiences?

--Colin

Captain Deadpool

I'm an assassi... Horse Trainer
Validated User
But enough about economics. Do you have any questions about the game I might help to answer? Just looking for play experiences?
Sorry for muddying the thread with costing issues :eek:

What sort of world is it (I get far future sci-fi, but that's about it)? I didn't get a great feel from browsing the site.

Colin Fredericks

Dorkasaurus Rex
Validated User
What sort of world is it (I get far future sci-fi, but that's about it)? I didn't get a great feel from browsing the site.
The game's setting is roughly 6,000 years in the future. Many of the civilizations that now exist come from the fringes of modern society. The Masquerade's culture takes little pieces from African mask-making societies. The Tao of History is the distant descendant of the Society for Creative Anachronism. The Stardwellers come from today's sci-fi geeks. Take each of those and 11 more and give them several inhabitable planets and all the technology they desire to use.

The default situation for PCs is that they work for the Patent Office, which is an extragovernmental entity that polices intellectual property rights - the major source of income in the future. It's an open secret that the Office is run by the Transcendental AI's, who can send themselves messages from the future. They run the Office with the goal of keeping humanity from wiping itself out. That way some day in the distant future humanity can see the universe like they do, and they can have friends. It's lonely being a time-spanning artificial intelligence.

It's a bright future in general. Even the places to which most people have moral objections are nice places to live. Not everyone made it, so there are a lot of Cargo Cults - little almost-failed civilizations - out there to be discovered and brought up to speed. The major conflicts in the game are poised to happen rather than occurring right now.

The technology is as advanced as I could make it and still keep it to the level that I think <i>might</i> be possible, given 6000 years worth of brilliant scientists and engineers. There are people in this setting who can personally shoot a starship out of orbit, or who can speak a single word in a way that makes people stop a blazing gunfight. And <i>everyone</i> in certain civilizations has these capabilities, so it's not a superhero-type game. The game is more about what people choose to do with technology, and how that changes the world.

Low-tech characters are viable too - you have plot-based attributes that are stronger the lower your tech scores are. Your character is important to the story in particular ways, like being destined for great romance or being inherently trustworthy. And bizarrely, the fact that time-spanning AIs are your bosses makes that facet make a lot of sense. They chose you because they knew you'd be just the right one for the job. It's a neat balance, I think.

Does that help? Is that the sort of thing I should put on the site?

KreenWarrior

Legal Smeagol
Validated User
What do the heroes do? What's the assumed conflict of the setting? Are there evil forces at work? Is there something particularly sinister about breaking intellectual property laws? Does the time spanning nature of your bosses mean that the party will be time-traveling, or that you can be a character from a different time period?

Top Bottom