[Sunless Skies] Space Train to the Cosmos!

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
While we had a thread here for the Kickstarter, it's actually out now, and so I'm making a thread to talk about it.

For the folks who don't know, Sunless Skies is a sequel to Failbetter Games' Sunless Sea, the alt-Victorian-era narrative game that involved being the captain of a steamship traversing an underground ocean from the port of Fallen London. Skies takes place ten years after Sea... technically, it gets complicated... where Queen Victoria has managed to unlock the gate to the High Wilderness - outer space - that is located in the Zee and transported the entirety of London and most of the British Empire there, after slaying a sun with an Unclear Bomb.

This was necessary because in this universe, the suns are gods - Judgements, whose light enforces Law. Physical law. By ganking a sun and establishing her own, artificial one (the Clockwork Sun is a bit like the Dawn Machine 2.0, if you've played Sea) she has established herself as an effective god-queen over her domain from her Throne of Hours; by mining literal crystallized time one's personal clock can run fast or slow which is why the ten years thing is technical. For some people, it's been centuries since London was on Earth.

You play the captain of a spacefaring locomotive in this scenario. The game can be harsh and demands careful attention to supplies and fuel, not to mention your state of mind, but Skies is significantly friendlier to new star-captains.

I'm enjoying it immensely, and if it weren't such a story-focused game I'd consider doing a Let's Play thread here. I still might! But I figure anyone else who is interested can ask questions, or if you're playing, ask advice. I played off and on during the early access period but the full game is considerably larger and more interesting.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm planning to jump in on this in the near future - is it any faster than Seas was? One of the things that I had mixed feelings about was how long the space between areas was in that game.

Eled the Worm Tamer

Spider Jeruselem's Warior
Validated User
does it have Seas "We'll give you the option to trade, but make it deliberately suck and ensure that the only way to make headway at first is to guess a direction and hope because even if you find something interesting, you probably won't have the ability to resupply or actually make a profit" issues?

Aspeon

Validated User
I'm enjoying it! One death so far, when I decided to visit one more port before returning home to repair and forgot that the path to that one port went through a bunch of monsters.

does it have Seas "We'll give you the option to trade, but make it deliberately suck and ensure that the only way to make headway at first is to guess a direction and hope because even if you find something interesting, you probably won't have the ability to resupply or actually make a profit" issues?
They revamped trade in this game. Buying stuff for its standard buy price and selling for its standard sell price still isn't profitable enough to pay for the fuel/supplies to travel around. However, there are now Bargains, where a port will temporarily sell a particular good for less than normal, and Prospects, quests you can pick up to deliver a particular good to a particular port. Using either or both of those does make trade a good source of money even in the early game, but since there's a limited supply of them that refresh slowly it's not the only thing you can do.

(You can also throw a hold size upgrade on the starting ship, and most ports sell fuel and supplies, so inventory limit isn't as bad as early game Seas.)

Last edited:

Rikimaru

Ninja Comedian
Validated User
I’ve only had a brief chance to play with this despite having early access to it, and I had another brief go at launch day. So far, I’m really liking what I saw though. Manoeuvring a space locomotive around is just more *fun* somehow than the ships in Sunless Sea, though I did enjoy that game too.

I’ll have to scour the High Wilderness though to find the location named after me. Unfortunately it’s probably going to be much harder to find than the location named for me in Sunless Sea - that one ended up being a fixed point on the map near the Dawn Machine so its easy to find.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, making money is - I won't say trivial, but much easier. And sometimes you get things like a prospect to deliver honey to Carillon. Which sells honey as a normal export. (I try to think of this as my captain playing the market, especially if a bargain and a prospect happen to line up in the same port. It's not that the devils are unaware that they export honey, it's that they need a rush order that the exporters can't meet!)

I wouldn't exclusively chase them, but when you first get to a region they're a nice way to give your explorations direction since prospects also give a rough guide as to where the port is located. And since you can access your bank from any central port, I have a habit of stashing any goods I acquire (via salvage or stories) in the bank so when I get a random prospect for crockery in Elutheria or whatever, I can load up on fuel and supplies to make the journey, withdraw my goods at the central port there, and go seal the deal.

As a note, you get a nice bonus of experience and money for completing prospects, so they're all like mini questlines. There's also a few other regular moneymakers. Port reports remain a thing, although in the Reach you can choose to assist the London-based Windward Company, or the independence-seeking colonists by delivering them. Another early one in Port Prosper is delivering new settlers to various destinations in the Reach.

prototype00

Validated User
Just stoking the engines (with sinners! What, that isn’t the case anymore?) myself. Am considering whether I should try to shore up my stat weaknesses or just go for two super stats...

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Honestly, I'd say (due to the stat minimums on equipment) you actually do want to push your primary stats high, and use officers to supplement. Don't ignore your other stats but if you go totally balanced you'll forever be hitting space monsters with BB rifles.

Top Bottom