• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Sunless Skies] Space Train to the Cosmos!

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Hmm. I installed it recently, and the Dpad lets you activate the menu bar on the right and scroll through it (and I believe it's the left trigger that lets you switch to that panel when you're docked). So maybe that got added?

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
After chugging around for a while, dying randomly and restarting, I finally got a feel for how to play the game. I kept all the difficulty settings on medium, but did set the campaign type to "Merciful," because dying in combat (typically against endless swarms of bees) is kind of anticlimactic and not very fun. I've had a couple close scrapes, most notably when I ran out of fuel while heading back from Lustrum, burnt my remaining supplies, accumulated alarming levels of Terror, and barely reached Polmear & Plenty's before my crew resorted to cannibalism.

Currently, I have just entered Albion, and delivered the black coffin.

This is my map of the Reach. It took me a very long time to find Lustrum. Also note Hybras' extremely inconvenient location. (On my first play, it was one of the first ports I discovered after New Winchester.)
Spoiler: Show

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Hybras is pretty much always like that, though. I think my current game is the straightest shot I've had from New Winchester to Hybras and it still involves skirting that Guest-plagued horror spot if I don't want to go wildly out of the way.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Hybras is pretty much always like that, though. I think my current game is the straightest shot I've had from New Winchester to Hybras and it still involves skirting that Guest-plagued horror spot if I don't want to go wildly out of the way.
It's entirely possible I was even more lost than I thought at the time.

MistahJ

Validated User
I really like this game; I bought it during Early Access. They made so many changes during development. I like the new UI that is there upon final release, but oftentimes the UI is very laggy for me. Hopefully it will improve again soon!

(I really like the starting region; I normally never like the starting region in games, but after seeing how plain it was in Early Access and seeing how pretty it is now, I'm very impressed)

I like that this game feels...faster?...I guess, than Sunless Sea. Maybe that's just my own perception there, but I've felt like I get more done and grind quite a bit less in Sunless Skies. More time to get to delicious stories and delicious friends!

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah. I mean, the Reach is definitely the easiest region in some ways (the maze is a maze, but it also subtly helps push you towards ports whereas Albion, you have to hunt for isolated islands in the void) but there's sufficient danger that it never quite felt like tutorial mode. Even when I have a badass locomotive with top-rank guns, I felt like I had to take things seriously.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
I find I kind of prefer the Reach to Albion. In the Reach it felt like I was always heading somewhere and something was always happening, while Albion is like 90% wandering through empty void without anything close enough for your scout to point out. Maybe Eleutheria or the Blue Kingdom will go back to being more claustrophobic.

-Naxuul

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
I'll be interested to compare, but it's definitely a bit obnoxious to me how the Reach is so populated by huge landmasses that I often have to go wide around to get where I want. It makes my familiar tactic of "swoop by a bunch of islands for port reports" tactic from Sunless Sea a lot less doable. Especially freaking Hybras and that Horror guarding one of the entrances.

Top Bottom