• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Sunless Skies] Space Train to the Cosmos!

Gogmagog

Validated User
I am suddenly remembering the anime 'Night on the Galactic Railroad' and wonder if it could be seen as a Sunless Skies style show.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
For folks unaware, the Wayfarer update has just come out. Among other things, it revamps the Albion region to be a bit more industrial and less desolate, although still more open than the Reach.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
I am really failing to comprehend why anyone thought Albion needed to be "fixed."

Then again, I haven't played much since visiting the Blue Kingdom, which made me realize that I don't actually like the "game" parts of this game very much.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I am really failing to comprehend why anyone thought Albion needed to be "fixed."

Then again, I haven't played much since visiting the Blue Kingdom, which made me realize that I don't actually like the "game" parts of this game very much.
To be quite fair, Albion was both a bit of a flavor fail (London didn't resemble any sort of city) and huge and empty to no effect. But it feels like they really cranked up spawn rates or left the old ones in place.

totenblume

Validated User
I didn't have a problem with Albion but I could see why someone would-BUT DID THEY REALLY FIX ALBION, AND NOT ELEUTHERIA? Mr. Barleycorn and the Achlys quests are still seriously broken! Why doesn't the Rubbery immigration have any effects?!

Ikselam

Validated User
I think I managed to figure out why I ended up not liking the game. It's because the easiest way to die is combat, and dying in combat isn't fun. The other ways to die pretty much all unfold gradually, punctuated by multiple decision points where you can make increasingly desperate attempts to escape (or, if you're deep enough in, simply delay) your doom.

When you lose a combat encounter, none of that happens. The pirates don't try to board your engine. The patrols never leave you for dead. The monster never swallows you whole. It's literally just a pop-up that says you die. (I guess the recent update added a system where losing hull points has consequences beyond "you can take fewer hits before you die" which is a step in the right direction.)

It doesn't help that combat itself isn't very fun. I don't find it fun because I'm bad at it, but from the sound of things being good at it isn't very fun, either. And since you're fighting things all the damn time, you're more likely to get blown up by some random space monster than you are to ever reach the grisly end of the more narrative death spirals. It's like the game is actively trying to cheat you out of a memorable demise.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
See, I've never really had that experience because most things can be outrun. Picking up the mines for your rear weapon works well, too - the only time I fight is when I must for storylines, or a few of the weaker enemies that reliably drop useful goodies. But running away and dropping a stream of mines to discourage pursuit works nearly everywherr.

Ikselam

Validated User
See, I've never really had that experience because most things can be outrun.
I've found it difficult to outrun pretty much anything dangerous enough that I'd want to run from it. Either because it moves slightly faster than me, its attacks track too aggressively for me to dodge, or because we're in an area that's not wide-open enough for me to move directly away from it at top speed for long enough to not get overtaken and pinned.

And even if I weren't just as bad at escaping enemies as I am at fighting them, it'd still be the same problem - field combat just doesn't unfold in an entertaining way. It never feels significant. It's just annoying. You're either constantly dying to monsters, constantly running from them, or constantly grinding them for xp and loot, none of which are terrifically in keeping with what I see as the game's biggest strength, its mood of pervasive unease. Fighting enemies all the time just doesn't give me that "crushed by the slowly-turning but inexorable gears of a decaying universe" feeling.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Fair enough. For me, the differences between engines and frantic side-step drifting is quite fun, but I respect that won't be everyone. I do have complaints - arbitrary stat gains are very slim so it is very easy ro screw yourself out of using gear - but learning enemy behavior, safe/unsafe areas, and balancing the many roles in the Blue Kingdom are all part of the fun for me, and I am sorry to hear it is otherwise.

Top Bottom