• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Sunless Skies] Space Train to the Cosmos!

Melum

Blake-light tragedy
Validated User
See, I've never really had that experience because most things can be outrun. Picking up the mines for your rear weapon works well, too - the only time I fight is when I must for storylines, or a few of the weaker enemies that reliably drop useful goodies. But running away and dropping a stream of mines to discourage pursuit works nearly everywherr.
I tried using mines since I focused on mirrors. I’ve managed to murder myself 3 times with the tier 3 mines. The first time I didn’t even realize I was injuring myself.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I tried using mines since I focused on mirrors. I’ve managed to murder myself 3 times with the tier 3 mines. The first time I didn’t even realize I was injuring myself.
Well, they explode. That happens with pretty much all the explosive weapons if you fire them point-blank. :)

Eled the Worm Tamer

Spider Jeruselem's Warior
Validated User
The stats called by weapons are also a bit weird.
We have Irons which is the stat for violence and prevailing by breaking things so obviously this lovingly described badass bit of rapid firing murder will call... Veils?!

Gogmagog

Validated User
The stats called by weapons are also a bit weird.
We have Irons which is the stat for violence and prevailing by breaking things so obviously this lovingly described badass bit of rapid firing murder will call... Veils?!
Talking about mines? Well...Veils was always the kind to stab one in the back.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Fair enough. For me, the differences between engines and frantic side-step drifting is quite fun, but I respect that won't be everyone. I do have complaints - arbitrary stat gains are very slim so it is very easy ro screw yourself out of using gear - but learning enemy behavior, safe/unsafe areas, and balancing the many roles in the Blue Kingdom are all part of the fun for me, and I am sorry to hear it is otherwise.
The Blue Kingdom was what finally made me quit. I was on the far side of the map from the exit, and made a dialogue choice which didn't warn me that it would change my status to the one toward which all the logoi are hostile. That was the point where I said screw it, I'm out.

Loved the aesthetic. Loved the atmosphere. Loved many of the little text adventures at the ports, except when they pulled gotchas or tried to be overly cute. (One of my milder cricticisms of the game is that they could have stood to make another editing pass or two on the storylets. It's obvious the writers weren't working from a consistent stye guide, especially with regard to how player options are described).

Hated combat so fucking much. Never got the hang of dodging or aiming, even after 50+ hours played. And there is so much combat in this game.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
The Blue Kingdom was what finally made me quit. I was on the far side of the map from the exit, and made a dialogue choice which didn't warn me that it would change my status to the one toward which all the logoi are hostile. That was the point where I said screw it, I'm out.
The game does warn you. You will almost certainly go to Sky Barnet first since unlike most other central ports, it's right there. The litigators there will give you an overview of the various statuses as part of the free consultation storylet. The only one which makes all Logoi hostile to you is Invisible, which you are warned against there. (The other three each make one color hostile to you; each part of the map is predominated by one color, and so you can juggle statuses to make areas safer. If the Logoi is not hostile to you, they will actually be usefully protective in some cases.)

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
The game does warn you. You will almost certainly go to Sky Barnet first since unlike most other central ports, it's right there. The litigators there will give you an overview of the various statuses as part of the free consultation storylet. The only one which makes all Logoi hostile to you is Invisible, which you are warned against there. (The other three each make one color hostile to you; each part of the map is predominated by one color, and so you can juggle statuses to make areas safer. If the Logoi is not hostile to you, they will actually be usefully protective in some cases.)
Dude, the problem wasn't that I didn't read the status tutorial. It was that the choice I picked didn't indicate that it'd change my status from Ephemera to Invisible. It didn't indicate that it would change my status at all. It was just "are you really, absolutely sure you want to let this guy cut your face off."

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Dude, the problem wasn't that I didn't read the status tutorial. It was that the choice I picked didn't indicate that it'd change my status from Ephemera to Invisible. It didn't indicate that it would change my status at all. It was just "are you really, absolutely sure you want to let this guy cut your face off."
Huh. Hadn't encountered one that didn't say, but in general "are you really sure?" choices in failbetter games mean it. (See one of the choices in Seeking the Name in Fallen London that warns that it will no-shit kill you if you chose it... and FL has the sort of player base that when they didn't get killed they filed a bug report.)

I mean, cutting one's face off does sound like a serious thing. Sorry that I have been a source of aggravation, though.

Melum

Blake-light tragedy
Validated User
I mean, replacing all your organs with glass in Sunless Sea is reversible, so why would a little thing like your face be a problem?

Top Bottom