• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
I wonder if there will be any balance patches coming with 3.0?

Joker looks fantastic. Even as a casual Persona fan who has only played Persona 5 I was really enjoying how many on point references were packed in, and I'm sure for fans of the whole series its even better.

Stage creator is also huge.

MadCow

Master of all evil bovine
Validated User
On one hand, new content looks fantastic. A bit let down we won't get to see any P4 or P4G characters... but the P4 music and stage color is welcome. Joker has a great moveset but quite possibly gonna be a "not my style" character despite how cool it all looks, due to the charging/limit mechanic (Cloud, Rob and Robin are not my style too). But I do like the tether... kinda like the fishing rod, but looks faster and longer range. Might need some skill/practice/timing to properly recover with it though.

On the other hand, just like the time during the Piranha Plant update... get ready to meet plenty of Jokers online! :ROFLMAO:

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
On one hand, new content looks fantastic. A bit let down we won't get to see any P4 or P4G characters... but the P4 music and stage color is welcome. Joker has a great moveset but quite possibly gonna be a "not my style" character despite how cool it all looks, due to the charging/limit mechanic (Cloud, Rob and Robin are not my style too). But I do like the tether... kinda like the fishing rod, but looks faster and longer range. Might need some skill/practice/timing to properly recover with it though.

On the other hand, just like the time during the Piranha Plant update... get ready to meet plenty of Jokers online! :ROFLMAO:
At least you'll quickly learn what NOT to do as Joker this way

MadCow

Validated User
Actually I just realized one thing... Joker has a pretty fancy-looking neutral B gun-fu setup... which very possibly means GRAMMATON KIRBY !!! :love:

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Its hard to judge characters from trailers, but between the tether recovery/long range command grab and the multiple projectiles, it kinda feels like someone gave the Belmonts a limit break?

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Its hard to judge characters from trailers, but between the tether recovery/long range command grab and the multiple projectiles, it kinda feels like someone gave the Belmonts a limit break?
Joker's gun seems more like Fox's Blaster, personally, and it has way more mobility than either Fox or the Belmonts.

MadCow

Validated User
I think the servers are getting hammered right now, I keep getting server communication error trying to download the update, lol. Guess I'll just go watch the few Joker first impressions out on YouTube for now...

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
Ok, I've gotten to play a few hours of Joker. He's an interesting character, and I think potentially a pretty high tier one, although probably too complex for me to truly master him any time soon. When Arsene isn't active, the character he most reminds me of is Sheik (with whom he shares a nearly identical up air), in that he's fast, light, agile and has a strong combo game--his throws all set up into all sorts of different options, and his up b can extend those combos and sometimes even reset them outright against certain opponents and some percentages--but it seems tricky to kill with him unless you're good at edgeguarding, and although his tether's crazy vertical range makes it pretty easy to safely get aggressive offstage if you have the advantage, he doesn't actually have a spike in his normal mode so characters with good recoveries can often still get back to stage even if Joker scores a hit. Despite having two ranged attacks, his projectile game has almost no stopping power, so he's not really campy at all--its more like Fox where its just a tool to get some free damage before engaging and getting combos, rather than a way to wall of the opponent and prevent their approach. He does have some interesting movement options involving using his gun to quasi-wavedash, which lets him slide off platforms with zero endlag and other cool exploits, so I'm sure the top players will have fun with that.

When Arsene is active, his neutral game gets scarier, all of his smash attacks get some real killing power, his side b basically becomes a beefier PK fire, he gets a solid counter/reflect, and his down air goes from pretty crap to an amazing spike. He also looks cool as fuck. OTOH, while his Arsene recovery covers insane distance, its very linear and somewhat punishable despite having a decent period of invincibility, and it offers none of the combo-extension possibilities of his tether. Arsene is still a net upgrade, particularly because he often comes out at percents where his killing power is important, but he is not a strict upgrade in all ways in the way that something like Limit Break is, which I personally like.

All in all, it feels kinda like if someone took Sheik and gave her a Limit Break or Incineroar's Revenge or some other way to shift to kill mode after spending the first half of the match racking up tons of combo hits. I'm not sure if "Sheik who can actually kill" is top tier, but it might be, and at the very least I suspect Joker is mid-tier at the very least once people start to get good with him.

MadCow

Validated User
He's also got some kind of fancy mid-air gun-fu going on which I haven't figured out yet (something in the line of hit B and spin the direction around was all I got, lol). But I don't think it's a great move, just flashy bonus damage while you're already up in the air, but anyways as predicted he's not really my kind of character so I was just fooling around to see what I need to be careful with, if I face him online. Up throw leads to a bunch of easy combos is definitely one thing to watch out for.

Speaking of online, was surprised I didn't meet that many Jokers yet. Well, my very first opponent after logging in was Joker, but I think that player was still messing around and figuring things out so I also messed around trying to copy his ability with Kirby. Didn't really seem that useful. But anyways after a couple of fights the guy left and after that I never met another Joker for the night.

Stormfalcon

Just slumming
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A lot of people have been having issues downloading the 3.0 update due to server issues. Took me several tries over a few hours last night before I finally downloaded the update.

Top Bottom