• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Superhero RPG Recommendations

mehrkat

Validated User
HERO 5th ed makes a good supers system. The powers are flexible but relatively straightforward and creating powers is relatively easy to understand.

Its default is firmly 4 color supers.

BASH also has potential. I haven't had a chance to play yet but itsa pretty light system that defaults to the effect it has being key.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
It's probably helpful if you say a little bit about your general RPG preferences, plus the sort of supers setting you were thinking of using this for. After all, if you're looking for something that works like D&D to use for a grim cosmic powered kitchen sink setting, and someone suggests a low powered, ultra-lite game based on TOON, it's not going to be terribly helpful.

simonpaulburley

Validated User
It's probably helpful if you say a little bit about your general RPG preferences, plus the sort of supers setting you were thinking of using this for. After all, if you're looking for something that works like D&D to use for a grim cosmic powered kitchen sink setting, and someone suggests a low powered, ultra-lite game based on TOON, it's not going to be terribly helpful.
Agreed.

I’m pretty small potatoes here but even I’ve written four completely different ones. Horses for courses.

So which Superheroes float your boat? Comics? Movies? Tv? Animated? And which brand/type of heroes?

And then - what sort of TTRPG do you usually play?

There are literally thousands of TTRPGs out there. Tell us what you want.

(Oh, some people WILL recommend Hero/champions as the ultimate panacea, others M&M, so don’t automatically take their advice. Good games but not for every requirement.)

John Desmarais

Validated User
TSR's Marvel Superheroes is still not a bad choice - if you liked it then. Simple, reasonably robust, although I found the point-buy rules for character creation to be a bit flaky.

Champions is my personal favorite, but some people find character creation a bit daunting to learn on their own (it's a highly front-loaded system, with very detailed character creation rules. Once your character is built, actual game play is pretty easy though).

Mutants and Masterminds is probably the current popular choice. I'm not a huge fan, but many people are its a solid, well supported game.

ICONS, created by the same developer as Mutants and Masterminds, is a modern love letter to the old TSR Marvel game. Simple (random) character creation, easy rules, and there is a point-buy creation system (but I don't like it, so I tend to stick with random creation).

There's tons of other ones, but these are the ones that first came to mind.

Vargold

AKA MalteseChangeling
Validated User
Yes, specificity of needs and desires and preferences is important here. Superhero RPGs have a very deep bench, covering all sorts of tastes in gaming. I'm inclined toward lighter fare like Supers! Revised Edition, but that's me. None of the games suggested above would be bad choices either (albeit heavier ones, with the exceptions of BASH and Icons).

Nessalantha

Validated User
I'm inclined toward lighter fare like Supers! Revised Edition, but that's me.
And also me, though I'm partial to BASH, as well. I also like Daring Comics, but I feel like someone who isn't a diehard Fate fan is less likely to enjoy that as much as I did.

The Discerning Gentleman

Has Transcended
Validated User
I'm looking for something comic based - Marvel, DC, hell even Dark Horse. I'm not afraid of details or crunchy mechanics, just nothing overboard where it takes a lifetime to resolve a battle. 😉

Nessalantha

Validated User
I'm looking for something comic based - Marvel, DC, hell even Dark Horse. I'm not afraid of details or crunchy mechanics, just nothing overboard where it takes a lifetime to resolve a battle. 😉
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the most current on the Marvel side was the now-defunct Cortex version, which was a fun game. I'm not sure if there are ways to get copies of that anymore. On the DC side, Green Ronin has a game based on Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition (which is itself a highly modified 3e D&D).

Also, the entire FASERIP catalog is online and free, I believe. I think legally so, too... If I'm wrong about that, hopefully someone else can inform us all, but I'm not gonna post the link unless I'm sure.

Vincent Takeda

Chilllin in Rifts Denmark
Validated User
And of course the list wouldnt be complete without mentioning Palladium's heroes unlimited, with heroes broken up into common comic book hero archetypes.

Top Bottom