• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Superhero System Recommendation - For Tired Players + Streamlined Character Sheets + Great Encounters + Interesting Advancement/Development

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I think Cypher System is the only system that can hit all your boxes. It even has a supers setting that is pretty cool.
I like Numenera, and know they tweak between games/settings. What tactical options do they add to their hero game? Because while I like Numenera, I don't see it as tactical per se. Beautiful theater of the mind, but I don't see it forcing decisions and cost analysis.

Von Ether

Validated User
I like Numenera, and know they tweak between games/settings. What tactical options do they add to their hero game? Because while I like Numenera, I don't see it as tactical per se. Beautiful theater of the mind, but I don't see it forcing decisions and cost analysis.

If you mean "bonuses on rolls for optimal placement of playing pieces on a board/map," neither Numenera or Cypher do that. My jam for that is Savage Worlds, which does that with a lot more figures (40 total at most) and about a1/3rd of the page count.

I run Cypher, so it might be different but it offers quite a bit of clever thinking and decisions in combat.

Effort for extra damage and effects make you consider alpha strikes. And how do you use your cyphers on hand to lay traps? Capitalize on your attacks or use as a defense. Even if the application isn't obvious.

And best example of a GM Intrusion is the battlefield is now drenched in rain to the detriment of both parties. The worst example is your standard crit fail.

It's why Cypher's adventure advice leans on old school "plan accordingly to environment" as compared to balanced encounters.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Its a different style then?

I guess for me when I think tactical I'm thinking more... objective? in some ways. I can see your point, but at the same time its like I'm not face with "if I do X, I'll get a bonus to Y but be more vulnerable" or something. Admittedly, I'm a softie as a GM, so maybe I simply didn't force people into stuff like that when I was running Numenera. Admittedly, I tried to make it about puzzles and mysteries and that's why I burned out... I couldn't keep up with what I wanted to do :/

I'll keep that in mind the next time I run! I do like the system quite a bit :)

Von Ether

Validated User
Its a different style then?

I guess for me when I think tactical I'm thinking more... objective? in some ways. I can see your point, but at the same time its like I'm not face with "if I do X, I'll get a bonus to Y but be more vulnerable" or something. Admittedly, I'm a softie as a GM, so maybe I simply didn't force people into stuff like that when I was running Numenera. Admittedly, I tried to make it about puzzles and mysteries and that's why I burned out... I couldn't keep up with what I wanted to do :/

I'll keep that in mind the next time I run! I do like the system quite a bit :)
It might be that your group didn't do 3rd Tier? That's where having 3 Edge opens things up.

Do you apply all of your Effort to make hitting easier? Or split the Effort between hitting and damage?

If I do my really expensive attack AND use all my Effort then my Edge can't cover all of it so if I don't kill the critter then my hit points are down and now the creature can return fire. Or am I going to bank rolling a 20 and get a full refund and even more damage?

Also remember it goes like this:
Physical combat - Speed Defense/Might damage
Mental combat - Intellect Defense/damage
Poison, Disease and other environmental attacks - Might Defense/Speed damage.

Now, I do think that more Cypher encounters need to engage PCs on the Speed Def/Might damage vector.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Didn't hit 3rd. That said, I'm used to playing games like HERO and IKRPG with map and minis. Tactics are an obvious thing from the first game whether you like it or not.

Von Ether

Validated User
Not always. If a GM runs SW as Theater of the Mind, you be surprised to find how minis friendly it can be. Or where it's not obvious that each *player* not PC can run a Wild Card and four NPCs.

Cypher's focus at lower levels is getting new players up to speed and the minis rules are optional. So the game builds up the choices over time.

Also Cypher's meta isn't about system mastery. It's more a mix of old school meets narrative.

Shattercrack

Great Sage Equal of Heaven
Validated User
We tried Cypher earlier (played through the Devil's Spine) but the simulationists in the group felt the rules and powers were too fuzzy and inconsistent (e.g. some tier powers and classes, like Glaives vs Nanos) felt unbalanced to them. I also brought up M&M again, but one guy hates the damage save system. I'm still poking through these options presented and will let you know what I settle on.

Malidar

Validated User
AMP: Year One (Year Two, Year Three, Year Four)
It's worked for us. It is however a lower powered type of system(no Superman, think Marvel on Netflix stuff i.e. Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones) Fun times but a gun is going to kill everyone, just takes more rounds against the "indestructible types"

Von Ether

Validated User
We tried Cypher earlier (played through the Devil's Spine) but the simulationists in the group felt the rules and powers were too fuzzy and inconsistent (e.g. some tier powers and classes, like Glaives vs Nanos) felt unbalanced to them. I also brought up M&M again, but one guy hates the damage save system. I'm still poking through these options presented and will let you know what I settle on.
Sounds like some of your players have ideas on what a "proper" game system should be. I hazard a guess that Savage Worlds wouldn't be their favorite either.

If you are looking for a street-level supers game, you could check out Modern AGE. It's straight forward, has hit points and is classless, though it does have levels. The game dials are for Gritty, Pulpy and Cinematic, depending on how much simulation you want in your game.

Last edited:

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Sounds like some of your players have ideas on what a "proper" game system should be. I hazard a guess that Savage Worlds wouldn't be their favorite either.
Savage Worlds can feel fairly solid and simulationist with the right setting toggles.

Which doesn't mean I'd recommend it for supers.

Top Bottom