• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Superhero/villain names

Ysidro

Validated User
Here's a group I came up with as an exercise a long time ago, but I haven't been able to come up with decent names. I'm going to give them the names I've been calling them in my head because I need some way to make a distinction. This is actually a hero group, only meant to exist if the PCs aren't being a JLA/Avengers group.

Justice - originally "Lady Justice" but, while that's OK for an early timeframe, is way too....ugh...for me now. Athletic, hand to hand combat, deduction. Is/was lawyer in civilian ID. Originally was blind and had some sort of empathy/psychometry power that let her "see" until I realized Daredevil already had the "justice is blind" thing going for him and decided to ditch it. May not have any powers, they're not as important as the semi-patriotic, team leader, athletic fighter archtype. Probably legacy hero (so I can have grandma be the original "Lady Justice".

Champion - Super strong sword and sorcery (without a sword or sorcery) type "barbarian" hero. Actually from another dimension where the "magic" that gave him super strength and enhanced language skills is actually advanced science. Won his enhanced abilities through a complex contest of might and mind. His world is more post apocalyptic sci fantasy than it first appears. Likes pop and "common" culture.

Professor Electron - Goofy name, but I might actually use it. Super scientist. Suit that lets him control electricity. Actually used him as one of my two Champions MMO characters.

Racer - super speed. Military background, secretly still working for military as a mole. Probably not actually a bad guy.

Shaper - telekinetic, but molds objects instead of moving them in whole. Can't transmute elements but can bend, shape, and otherwise manipulate whole molecules.

Probe - alien probe. Gravity powers. Crashed to Earth and was damaged. Given humanoid form by Shaper. Still doesn't know what it was looking for or who built it.

Andrew_A

Validated Invalid
Validated User
Here's a group I came up with as an exercise a long time ago, but I haven't been able to come up with decent names. I'm going to give them the names I've been calling them in my head because I need some way to make a distinction. This is actually a hero group, only meant to exist if the PCs aren't being a JLA/Avengers group.

Justice - originally "Lady Justice" but, while that's OK for an early timeframe, is way too....ugh...for me now. Athletic, hand to hand combat, deduction. Is/was lawyer in civilian ID. Originally was blind and had some sort of empathy/psychometry power that let her "see" until I realized Daredevil already had the "justice is blind" thing going for him and decided to ditch it. May not have any powers, they're not as important as the semi-patriotic, team leader, athletic fighter archtype. Probably legacy hero (so I can have grandma be the original "Lady Justice".

Champion - Super strong sword and sorcery (without a sword or sorcery) type "barbarian" hero. Actually from another dimension where the "magic" that gave him super strength and enhanced language skills is actually advanced science. Won his enhanced abilities through a complex contest of might and mind. His world is more post apocalyptic sci fantasy than it first appears. Likes pop and "common" culture.

Professor Electron - Goofy name, but I might actually use it. Super scientist. Suit that lets him control electricity. Actually used him as one of my two Champions MMO characters.

Racer - super speed. Military background, secretly still working for military as a mole. Probably not actually a bad guy.

Shaper - telekinetic, but molds objects instead of moving them in whole. Can't transmute elements but can bend, shape, and otherwise manipulate whole molecules.

Probe - alien probe. Gravity powers. Crashed to Earth and was damaged. Given humanoid form by Shaper. Still doesn't know what it was looking for or who built it.
Those names sound fine to me. Sometimes simple is good. Simple gets the job done. You’ll find that if you just accept what you’ve come up with, that can unblock your creativity.

Think of it this way, basically you have mild form of writer’s block. It isn’t a big deal and it can be dealt with. All you have to do is use the first things that come out of your head regardless of how “stupid” you think they are.This will free up some head space to come up with more stuff. Maybe even better stuff.

FTR, I don’t think those names are stupid. They’re memorable and unpretentious, they describe the characters perfectly, AND they work. Use them and other names will start to flow.

Andrew_A

Validated Invalid
Validated User
Another thing to remember is that you’re trying to do a Warren Ellis homage, yes? Well this is the same guy who created the Doctor, the Engineer, the Drummer, the High, and Mist(?*). These are short, simple, descriptive names. Ellis obviously didn’t worry too much about the names and focused on the cool concepts and interesting characters. Remember that the best villains he ever created (outside of the Smiler) were called the Four.

*I think that was the name of the Asian version of The Shadow.** The one from the “Change or Die” story arc.

**Ha! Another easy to remember name! :D

John

Validated User
The tone is probably pulpish adventure, but...modern "stereotypical" setting. Lots of influence from Warren Ellis...but brighter [snip] Basic themes of the past vs the future and the modern conspiracies that are trying to hide them [snip] with an action packed pulp tone to thing [snip] I generally don't like outright silliness
Got it. Nice supers backdrop. And "pulp" and "modern" naming conventions aren't so at odds.

Another thing to remember is that you’re trying to do a Warren Ellis homage, yes? Well this is the same guy who created the Doctor, the Engineer, the Drummer, the High, and Mist(?*). These are short, simple, descriptive names. Ellis obviously didn’t worry too much about the names and focused on the cool concepts and interesting characters.
So true.

Here's a group I came up with as an exercise a long time ago, but I haven't been able to come up with decent names.
Actually, I think the names sound fine, too. But I suspect you're looking for more distinctive monikers to fit the setting. So, here's a pass to help shake out the cobwebs:

Justice > Paragon
Champion > whatever his original barbarian bad ass name was in his awesome home dimension.
Professor Electron > Doc Electron (obvious pulp evocation)
Racer > Mustang (to go with the military background)
Shaper > Remix
Probe > Vanguard

Ysidro

Validated User
Another thing to remember is that you’re trying to do a Warren Ellis homage, yes? Well this is the same guy who created the Doctor, the Engineer, the Drummer, the High, and Mist(?*). These are short, simple, descriptive names. Ellis obviously didn’t worry too much about the names and focused on the cool concepts and interesting characters. Remember that the best villains he ever created (outside of the Smiler) were called the Four.

*I think that was the name of the Asian version of The Shadow.** The one from the “Change or Die” story arc.

**Ha! Another easy to remember name! :D
To be fair, I don't like those names either. :)

Ysidro

Validated User
Got it. Nice supers backdrop. And "pulp" and "modern" naming conventions aren't so at odds.

So true.

Actually, I think the names sound fine, too. But I suspect you're looking for more distinctive monikers to fit the setting. So, here's a pass to help shake out the cobwebs:

Justice > Paragon
Champion > whatever his original barbarian bad ass name was in his awesome home dimension.
Professor Electron > Doc Electron (obvious pulp evocation)
Racer > Mustang (to go with the military background)
Shaper > Remix
Probe > Vanguard
Oooh, I like Mustang. The others are good but maybe not what I"m looking for. But I'm willing to steal them for other characters.

Top Bottom