• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Supernatural Law (Wicked Pacts)

Dudley Do-Right

Validated User
Nikki Orlov

Nikki swallowed the bite of chocolate donut she had taken.

"Well, that could be true. We know the Suttons were interested in an area that includes the Holy Land. A religious artifact would be of significant interest to them. Mary might have used that information to become friends with the Suttons. It is not uncommon for people to do or say things to get friends or become part of a group. Especially if she felt like an outsider or outcast. I did things in my youth that I'm not proud of because I wanted to be part of a gang and impress a boy. I felt different, an outcast if you will. If Mary felt the same way, there's no telling what she might have said or done. Imagine if the dive had been successful and Mary and Ethel had survived. If they recovered a valuable artifact, they would have received worldwide acclaim, interviews in magazines and on TV. It's possible that was not their motive. Mary may have thought if she found this ring, she might be able to get Raymond's father back."

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
Angelo perked a brow. "Alderamin? Really?" he asked Mrs. Mercado. He was genuinely perplexed. "Guess I need to go answer the call - have fun on the date you too," he joked to Ben and Jin before walking out the door.

Soon enough he was in the lobby, looking at a face he hadn't expected to see. "You'll pardon me if I'm surprised."

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Well, then I should explain my presence, shouldn't I," the cloud serpent said to Angelo. "You beat me in a duel. Few humans manage that, even mages. I was highly impressed. So I congratulated you on your victory. And while you did accept my congratulations and even commended it, remember what you said then? 'That commendation ends there.' I did not consider that very polite. Frankly, I felt that you snubbed me. That hurt my pride and called for retaliation." Alderamin smiled. "And I know from experience that the best way to retaliate against Angels is to do them an unasked for favor. Receiving charity tends to sting their pride, but they cannot retaliate in turn without feeling bad about it. I figured I would use the same trick on you. I have a substantial contact network and I did some digging, looking for something I could use. And came across this."

Alderamin took out a smartphone and brought a picture on the screen. It showed a wrecked apartment, walls scrawled with what looked like writing in blood. The most prominent part of the writing was 'Velderax el Hambre'."

"See anything you recognize?" Alderamin asked. "That picture was taken in Mexico City two weeks ago. That may not seem like much for Mexico City is a huge city even compared to Boston, and in another country. But I am a Cloud Serpent. As long as I am under the open sky, my magic could get us there." He snapped his fingers. "Like that. And while I am not terribly familiar with the city myself, I know a person there who is. A Diablera. Mage from your tradition. I do not think it would be difficult to convince her to help a fellow Diablero look into a demonic killing."

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
Cruel Reign Investigation (OCD Headquarters) · Jin-hee Hayes
HP: 24/24 · MP: 50/50 · Scene pts: 0/3
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Angelo perked a brow. "Alderamin? Really?" he asked Mrs. Mercado. He was genuinely perplexed. "Guess I need to go answer the call - have fun on the date you too," he joked to Ben and Jin before walking out the door.
The only answer to be had from Jin-hee was an indignant huff. Now he acknowledged the assignment? Foolish was he to provoke those who can command illusions. Among them, Jin-hee had an unique combination of abilities enabling her to craft the worst pranks, and although she wasn’t in habit of making use of them for mischief, the warlock wasn’t above causing a bit of harmless havoc. Just you wait...

She turned her attention back to Nikki, listening to the detective’s theory.

"I did things in my youth that I'm not proud of because I wanted to be part of a gang and impress a boy. I felt different, an outcast if you will."
Surprise briefly flashed in Jin’s eyes. Of all people, Nikki was the last person she envisioned joining a gang, and it was odd they also had being on the wrong side of law in common.

“Michael must have disappeared suddenly,” she said once Nikki wrapped up her thoughts. “He was being hunted and might have not been aware Mary was pregnant. I don’t blame her for clinging to the only thing left by him. Any ideas on how we can verify this theory? Everyone who might be able to confirm or deny it seems to be dead, save for Michael himself, and maybe Raymond. The guy Mary was going out, uh...” Jin checked her notes. “Adrian Duffy. He didn’t know much about why they decided to explore the shipwreck or what was that box, did he?”

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
Angelo - in true dumb jock fashion - was oblivious to Jin-hee's potent pranking powers. He would end up regretting that.

"You care an awful lot about pride for a being who tries to take children from their mothers," Angelo retorted. The emphasis he put on the final word dripped with acid. He looked at the image as he considered the snake's words. "What's in it for your Alderamin? You say it is only to assuage your pride, but I can't help but feel there is more at stake."

Dudley Do-Right

Validated User
Nikki Orlov

Nikki was slightly embarassed for revealing personal information. She had been underage during her criminal past so it was not in her official background record. It helped that it happened in Russia.

"Mr. Duffy indicated they told him what they were looking for but he was young and didn't pay much attention. He only went on the diving expedition because Mary was going. There is probably no way of getting him to remember short of using a spell. He did say that Professor Sutton took care of providing all the information for the accident report. I find it curious he left out Adrian's name. To me, it seems very odd."

Nikki paused, bit her lower lip, and continued.

"Unless he just wanted to protect a young man from having to answer a lot of questions. Questions Professor Sutton didn't want answered about the deaths. By controlling the information in the accident report, there was no investigation into their deaths. If they were diving upon a protected wreck or in a forbidden area, then by answering all the questions himself, he could lie to the police and not worry about anyone providing contrary answers. That would have lead to an in depth investigation, possibly leading to jail time for Professor Sutton, and the loss of whatever had been recovered." Nikki hypothesized.

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
Cruel Reign Investigation (OCD Headquarters) · Jin-hee Hayes
HP: 24/24 · MP: 50/50 · Scene pts: 0/3
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

“And the information died with him,” mumbled Jin in resignation. She took another bite from the donut, chewing thoughtfully until a sudden idea seized her, lighting her expression and nearly making her choke on the pastry. “You know, until today I wasn’t aware Detective Jones can talk to the dead. Isn’t that a fortunate coincidence we learn this when we need it most?” She grinned.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"The child is hers and mine," Alderamin said calmly. "And I wasn't trying to take her. I pressed my claim according to the rules. And lost. I put that behind me after the duel and moved on. Maybe you should do the same. But I did not come here to argue."

"You are correct that this is not just about me not liking your attitude towards me, and trying to change it. So you want to know what else is in it for me? I am not sure you would understand. As a spirit, my actions are not always guided by human motivations. But I will try to explain. As a Cloud Serpent, I am subordinate to greater spirit Mixcoatl, who is a spirit of stars, war, and the hunt." Alderamin leaned closer. "The hunt, champion. The being who left that message on the wall, you hunt him, yes? And it is a mighty hunt indeed. Mixcoatl would be pleased. In assisting you, I regain some of my pride and act according to my purpose. Double win." Alderamin shrugged. "If you wish to try and put that in human concept, imagine that I am trying to curry favor with my boss. It is close enough."

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
The child is hers and mine.

Angelo had not forgotten. Nor did he amend his statement.

He let out a sigh of exasperation. Alderamin rubbed him the wrong way but this had the ring of truth to it. He tsked. "Look, you're not the only one who labors beneath a higher power. Let's go meet the one that I serve," he said.

Moments later he was back in the office, Alderamin waiting outside. "Captain, you're not going to believe this," he began, then proceeded to tell Graves what had transpired.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Oh, for- Ms. Mercado!" Captain Graves called out, and as the receptionist arrived, asked: "Is there any truth to what the spirit said? What kind of being is that boss of his? Mix- What was it?"

"Mixcoatl," Ms. Mercado said. "There is a legend about him and the Cloud Serpents. The Serpents used to be independent, but hundreds of powerful, belligerent spirits tend to be a cause of trouble, and Mixcoatl demanded that they submit to his authority. Cloud Serpents refused and gathered to do battle with the great spirit. But Mixcoatl is a spirit of war. He used tactics, and fought beside his sibling spirits. Basically, five Aztec gods ambushed the Cloud Serpents from multiple directions and killed every single one of them. But with spirits, getting killed is not the same thing as it is to humans. They came back, just changed. Since then they have submitted to Mixcoatl."

"In other words, Alderamin's explanation sounds plausible," Ms. Mercado commented. "Mixcoatl is his superior. But the same is true of every Cloud Serpent, and there are hundreds of them. Prideful beings all. Alderamin sees an opportunity to stand out. I think he is genuinely planning to be helpful."

"Well, that is a relief," the captain said. "So we do not have to worry about Alderamin stabbing us in the back. But Mexico City? We have no authority there, and we do not know the place. Instead of relying on Alderamin, maybe we should just contact our counterparts there and ask for assistance. I am sure they have already looked into this."

"I am not," Ms. Mercado said. "Greater Boston area has about 5 million people living in it. Greater Mexico City has more than 20 million. They have four times more people to worry about than us, And the City is a supernatural hotbed thanks to the history of the region. Mexico City has one of the world's highest police officer-to-resident ratios, but that is the regular police. The mages are horribly overworked, and that is even when they face a problem in that may crimes are not even reported to the police, especially those of supernatural kind. Assuming that they know of this incident, it is unlikely to be the only ritual murder they are looking into. They would probably assist us if we asked, but how great a priority they would assign to our investigation is another matter."

"Great." Captain Graves frowned. "Come to think of it, we do not know where Alderamin got his information. If he pulled that picture from the Policía Judicial files, that may cause some questions. But what are our alternatives for local help - Alderamin and this unknown local Devil Hunter."

With a sigh, Captain Graves looked at Angelo. "Up to you. I am not telling you to ignore this, so if you want to investigate Alderamin's tip, you have my permission to do so. If you do, You decide yourself how to go about the investigation. Just remember that Mexico City is way outside our jurisdiction, so try not to leave a mess for the local police. And if Alderamin needs to be under the open sky for his powers to work, the rooftop of this building might be a good choice. No eyes, just a couple of security cameras, but it is easy to find a blind spot. Just make sure he brings you back as well."

Top Bottom