IC Supernatural Law (Wicked Pacts)

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
“Another matter is that I spoke to my contact in DHS about the security footage from the port. She agreed to arrange it.” The captain looked at Nikki. “You should have an email containing a link and password allowing you to access the footage.” Turning to address the other detectives and focusing on Mort, she continued. “But she wanted a return favor. She has a dead body in the morgue that she would like to answer a few questions off the record.”
"Feds, huh?"

Mort slurps his coffee and nods.

"I can do that."

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
“Feds, yes,” Captain Graves said with a slight frown. “Suzanne Chaplin, from the DHS Office of Intelligence and Analysis. One of their duties is sharing threat information and assessments. That is how I initially met her. But she wasn’t very sharing about this situation. Wouldn’t give details about who is the dead person she wants to question. And normally DHS goes to Arclight when they need magic. So I suspect that she is digging on her own initiative and may not be cleared to question this person. Could be something politically sensitive. I am not sure what she is looking for, but one of the other duties of her office is tracking terrorist networks. So use your judgement on how much information is safe and sensible to pull for her.”

"I will tell her to meet you at the morgue."

Last edited:

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
Mort swallows the dregs of his coffee and nods.

"If I had a nickel for every time a fed needed a 'favor' to keep Arclight in dark, I would've retired already."

He goes to his desk, rummages until he finds a few important odds and ends, and shrugs on his jacket as he heads for the door.

"Nobody let the squirrel near my components drawer!" he calls on his way out.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The morgue

As Mort arrives, Chaplin is already present. She is not difficult to identify. Brunette in her thirties wearing a suit, with a bulge of a sidearm under the suit, and shoes designed for long walks rather than boardroom.

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
Mort arrives at the morgue and pushes his jacket aside to reveal the badge on his belt. Once he and Chaplin are clear to talk, he hands her a manila folder.

"Form DIA-7b: deceased interrogation authorization. This is off the record, so you're welcome to shred it afterwards, presuming everything goes off without a hitch. Presuming. There's always the chance that things go pear-shaped, and if that happens I'll need the paperwork."

He nods once, looks around the morgue.

"So what've we got?"

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
"I have to be honest with you captain, I really don't want to investigate this tip," he replied. Crossing his arms and letting out a sight he continued, "But for some reason I am curious as to what's going on. I don't know why Alderamin would seek me out openly if he truly wanted revenge. Even if it's a setup, I think the Department could learn valuable intel from sniffing it out. I think I'm going." Angelo sighed again. Hearing it out loud made it sound even less reasonable...

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OCD Headquarters

"I do not think this is revenge either," Captain Graves said. "We'd know it was him. Very well, go. But try to send us updates in case something happens."

The morgue

”Let me show you,” Chaplin says and leads the way to one of the rooms where bodies are taken for identification. A morgue attendant stands waiting outside the door, and as Mort and Chaplin arrive he looks at her and says: “I can guarantee you thirty minutes,”

“That should be sufficient, thanks,” Chaplin says and the attendant nods and departs.

“I pulled a few favors, so officially we are not here,” Chaplin says as they enter a room where a body covered with white sheet rests on a table. “But the reason is not that this is highly secret.” She pulls the sheet back. On the table is a young man, late teens or early twenties. Plenty of blunt trauma. “It is because this is personal. I know his parents. And I might have been able to prevent this if-” She sighs, pauses for a moment and then continues.

“One of the things we do is monitor and counter radicalization. He had gotten involved with a radical group. A quiet kid, not many friends, used to get bullied at school. Prime recruiting material. It went in a typical fashion. A bunch of kids asked him to hang out with them. A cute girl was friendly with him. He started feeling welcome. Then they start giving him material, and talking to him about politics. He didn’t want to lose his new friends so he listened, and agreed. Then his parents saw some of the material he had been given. They are not the most liberal people, but that stuff was far out of their comfort stone. It was ‘seize federal installations and Make America White Again’ level shit. So they asked me to have a chat with him. It took a bit of an effort to get through to him, but he was not a stupid kid, and eventually I convinced him that what had happened was straight out of a recruiting manual and his new friends weren’t really his friends and not being honest with him. That they were indoctrinating him. So he agreed to cut them off. Those people do not necessarily take rejection well, so I warned him that if they contacted him he should not agree to see them anywhere that wasn’t public.”

Chaplin frowns. “He did see them in public. That did not go as I thought. His parents told that when he came home that day he seemed happy and said that it went really well. That was a bit over two weeks ago and he had seemed to be in unusually high spirits since. But now…” She shakes her head. “Apparently he jumped from the roof. People did not see him jump, but they saw him fall. He wasn’t screaming. No one was seen leaving the building, no one was found inside. And there was a note, of sorts. A text message. ‘I am sorry. I cannot live without her.’ Now his parents are blaming themselves for not seeing though what they think was fake cheer. They assume that the girl he met with that bunch wouldn’t see him again after he rejected their agenda and it broke his heart.”

“Something nags me about this,” Chaplin says. “I am not certain that he really jumped, but I cannot see those kids doing it. I was worried that they might rough him up, but throwing him from the roof? And making it look like suicide? Those kids weren’t crazy militia types, they were ultra-conservative private school kids. The kind that harass minorities in a group, rage on social media and vandalize property. Not the type who drive cars into crowds. Does not fit their profile. There are likely to be adults behind them, but the last thing people like them want is draw police attention with something like this. And framing suicides is generally way outside the smarts those people possess. And then his strange behavior after he broke with those kids. Something is off here.”

Chaplin looks at Mort. “I do not have permission from his parents to do this. They have no idea what I am about to do, and would be absolutely horrified. And I do not want to – disturb him any more than necessary. But I have to know if he really jumped or if someone made him do it. If someone is responsible for this, his parents need to know. And I need to nail that person for it. If you need his name, it is Ronnie. Ronnie Dillon.”

OOC: Speak to the Dead can call up a spiritual echo of a dead person’s final minutes. It can be questioned but is not a real person and can only answer simple questions. Anything more complex requires summoning the dead young man. Since the death is recent, he is in all likelihood still around and able to be summoned.

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
Chaplin looks at Mort. “I do not have permission from his parents to do this. They have no idea what I am about to do, and would be absolutely horrified. And I do not want to – disturb him any more than necessary. But I have to know if he really jumped or if someone made him do it. If someone is responsible for this, his parents need to know. And I need to nail that person for it. If you need his name, it is Ronnie. Ronnie Dillon.”
Mort gives Chaplin a flat look, then rubs the bridge of his nose.

"Agent, if all you want to know is whether he was pushed, you don't need necromancy - just a competent CSI mage. I could do it with a visit to the scene, or with something he was wearing when he jumped. His cell phone would be even better; I could see the state he was in when he sent that last text. We can ask him a few questions without disturbing his spirit, but I doubt we'll get much more than I'd get from reading the phone. Or I can try to call him here directly. That falls pretty squarely under things that would horrify his parents. It's your call, but I haven't had enough cups of coffee* to run through each of those options in half an hour.

"For the record, pulling his phone from evidence and having me read it would be well within reasonable courses of action for investigating an apparent suicide. If you care about that kind of thing."

*This is a lie, of course. Mort has had plenty of coffee.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Morgue

"Oh," Chaplin says, taken aback. "Sorry, I do not really know much about this kind of thing.” She puts on gloves, goes to a container on another table and takes out a cracked smartphone. “But I did arrange for his personal effects just in case. By the way, I have handled the phone. I checked if it had prints other than his. It didn’t. I have also asked for details of his cell phone usage. I am currently waiting for them.”

She hands the phone to Mort. “If you can confirm the matter with just the phone, all the better. Then I don’t have to lie to his parents. Too much.”

OOC: It has been more than a day, so Recall Past Event is 6 points and TN 12.

Last edited:

Cale Knight

Eight Bits
Validated User
Mort pulls on gloves of his own, looks the phone over, and then sets it down. He produces a piece of paper and a stub of charcoal, sets the paper on the phone, and begins what looks like the process of making a rubbing. But instead of the phone itself, each swipe of the charcoal produces a new image, like a black-and-white movie clip of the phone's past.

OOC: Recall Past Event: 2d10k1+5 13 - nailed it.

Top Bottom