• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Supernatural Law (Wicked Pacts)

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Octavia took a look at the money with her eyes wide, muttered an expletive and said: "If they gave you this bad odds, then either someone really dropped the ball or you deserve an academy award for playing the part of a clueless gringo out of his depth." Starting to put the money in her pockets, she continued. "Looks like this went about as well as it possibly could. I made a lot of money. You made Vargas sing like a pretty little songbird. And you don't even look like hammered shit after your fight. Speaking of which, let's do something about those bruises."

Octavia spoke the words of a Cure Wounds spell, placed her hand on Angelo's shoulder, and the minor aches from the fight went away. "There. As good as new. Now, about the information you squeezed out of Vargas." She frowned. "This does not sound good at all."

"El Espectro is a local bogeyman. What Vargas told you is accurate. That monster has been the bane of the region for a very long time. He was burned after the Spanish landed, but no one knows if he was alive or undead when it happened, and how long he had been around. What is certain is that burning wasn't enough to put him down for good, and he has continued to be a menace. He is responsible for the deaths of hundreds of innocents, maybe thousands. He feeds on their deaths. And he will have followers that he uses to bring him victims. A cult. Sick, murderous sadists who get a kick out of watching people suffer and die. He has a knack for finding them and in a city as huge as this there are always enough for his needs. Who knows how many he has gathered this time. A dozen, a couple of dozen... The cultists are people of little skill generally. No better than the thugs we faced earlier. But a Shadow Mage. That is bad news. This Quintana is likely to be as sick and depraved as the other cultists. Maybe more. And he is skilled in magic. Probably El Espectro's right hand man. A dangerous individual."

"And now El Espectro and his death cult have the information the painter saw." Octavia sighed. "I agree with Vargas. Some sort of demonic plan is underfoot. The artist saw something about it. Maybe it was a precognitive vision or a trip into demonic dreams. Whatever it was, the demons noticed the intrusion and tracked down and killed the artist. But didn't notice that he had made a painting of what he saw, because it was stored in the warded safe and invisible to their senses. Whatever this feast is, the demon who killed the artist seems to have an interest in it. So the painting may contain clues about where the demon can be found. But to get our hands on the painting we need to rip it from El Espectro's cold, dead hands." She grinned wickedly. "Which is all fine by me. the old ghost's soul is long overdue in Hell. But how do we find him."

Octavia pondered for a moment. "I don't think El Espectro would be foolish enough to fully trust someone like Vargas. That phone may be a burner phone, and already disposed of. But if Quintana was waiting for Vargas to call and tell that the painting is ready to be picked up, he must have kept the phone on." She smiled. "Quintana may be cunning enough to have a high position in the death cult, but no truly smart person gets involved with a being like El Espectro. And mages sometimes focus overmuch in their specialties. For example, they may take massive precautions to make sure they can't be tracked by magical means and forget to consider the mundane means that can accomplish the same thing. Want to make a bet on whether Quintana figured out that the location of his phone could be backtracked? Have you heard of a man called Malte Spitz?"

"Malte Spitz is a German Green Party politician who works on media and privacy issues," Octavia explained. "In 2012 he sued Deutche Telekom and obtained the data the cell phone provider had on his phone. To quote the man: 'This is six months of my life. You can see where I am, when I sleep at night, what I'm doing.' He then made his information publicly available in an interactive map which allows users to watch his entire movements during that time in fast-forward. It was almost frightening to see how your movements could be followed just because you had your cell phone on you. So even if Quintana has disposed of the phone, the cell phone provider's data will show where he was while waiting for Vargas to call. Of course, most people can't just walk in and ask for such data." She smiled even more widely. "But we are not like most people."

Octavia's smile vanished as she then said: "But even if we manage to track the cult down, there is the question of what we are going to do about El Espectro. Many times someone has taken down his cult or even him, and always he has returned. He needs to go down for good this time. But how are going to do that." She leaned back on her seat and let out a long sigh. "Got any ideas? Because the only one I can think of involves dealing with an evil even more powerful than the ghost is."

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
Healing energy coursed through Angelo. He rolled his shoulder and waggled his jaw. The pain in both seeped away in moments and his blinked rapidly as if waking from a restful slumber. The American laughed heartily at her jab saying, "Clueless lunkhead, that's me. No costume required."

He nodded along to her explanation, imparting the occasional Mmmhm and Ah, I see where appropriate. At her final question he soured. "I'm not keen on the idea of calling in a worse evil to deal with this. I may have already crossed that line with Alderamin," he said, eyebrows showing his concern. "What if I called in my friends at OCD? They need a report at any rate, and the scale of this is getting to be considerable... even though I think we've managed fine so far."

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Can your friends in your division dispose of an ancient ghost who made a pact with unspeakable evil?" Octavia asked. "If you think they can, then it is very much preferable to what I can think of, because that would take a deal with a Devil. A Major one. And that might alienate another potential ally." She rubbed her temples. "A notable percent of the shares of every cell phone provider in Mexico City is owned by Dragon Fund. And this is true not just in this city but in most other cities as well, probably including yours too. And guess what organization is behind the Dragon Fund? The Knights Templar. And there is a reason for that. The modern Templars are like ninjas. They know what technology can do. When the Templars smell evil, they can track it down using the Evil's cell phone. The Templars haven't truly trusted secular or religious organizations ever since the King of France came after their public branch with the blessing of the Pope, so this is not widely known. But the Templars can pinpoint down any cellphone in the world. And I know the right words to get us access to the local Templar chapterhouse. But they would never work with us if there is a Devil involved. And while I am certain that a Major Devil can drag El Espectro down to Hell, I am not sure that the Templars could get rid of him for good. So if you could provide another means to rid the world of El Espectro, it would get us the help of Templars and we wouldn't have to make a deal with the Devil."

Last edited:

Jive Professor

Trying to fly
Validated User
"Believe me, my team is capable. It's no exaggeration to say that I'm probably the weak link on the squad," he said. A swift nod forward with his head preempted his next statement. "Let's go somewhere to lie low for the night and I can reach out."

[A short time later...]

"...and that's the situation, Captain Graves," Angelo finished. "This investigation is turning out to be bigger than I anticipated. The support here is great," he smiled at Octavia without missing a beat, "but at this point we're running out of options."

Angelo reached out and jotted down on a pen while he listened to her response:

Need to take ring back to your mom it read, and he turned the paper to face Octavia while tapping the page twice.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Sounds like quite a situation you have there," Captain Graves commented to Angelo. "Sit tight for now. I can't get you backup until tomorrow. If I send our people there in force, I need to clear it with the Office of the Attorney General of Mexico City, which provides for our colleagues in the city. They might even have something prepared for that ghost, if it has been a problem for a long time."

"I have some reservations about bringing the local police in," Octavia commented, listening to the conversation. "There was a survey done, and 90% of the people in Mexico City have little or no trust in the police. Mainly because of reasons like corruption and severe inefficiency. I am part of that 90%." She sighed. "Still, your captain is right. They may have something planned for El Espectro. And there are trustworthy mages in there, even if they are badly paid and their department underfunded. I can give your captain a direct number to a person I know in the department. That can make things go smoother."

Once Angelo finished his phone call, Octavia said: "Maybe we should hold onto that ring until we have dealt with the cult. Who knows what we will run into there. And you can stay in my house while we wait for your backup. Since it is my base of operations, it has all the necessary facilities, including spare rooms. You and Alderamin can stay in the upstairs rooms. I will make sure to put Alderamin in the opposite end of the building. Downstairs has a gym, dojo, chapel, meditation chamber and alchemy lab. You are free to use any of those."

OOC: The meeting between Nikki and Duffy is still underway, but that can be continued even if I switch the scene to the next morning. Which is what I am going to do, to bring the other scenes to the same point in time. So the day changed and

Scene points refresh!

The next morning, red-eyed Captain Graves was in the office before anyone else. "Hell of a night," she commented. "For those who weren't here last night, we nearly had a teen slasher situation. The Grunwald kids and their dates snuck into an abandoned theatre to make out, and it turned out to be the lair of an undead killer. Good thing that werewolves are really difficult to kill, so the kids got away. But then Hayes and Falken ended up in a fight against an undead Necromancer who had a stockpile of corpses and a golem."

"Forensics is still combing through the place," the captain continued to explain. "I suspect that the building is going to need a thorough cleansing. In the basement level we found a furnace. The room next to it had shelves containing urns that were filled with ashes. I suspect that the ashes were from human remains. Some kind of burnt death offerings for the undead mage's ritual. I am not sure of the exact number of the urns in that room, but there were well over a hundred. Trying to identify the remains is going to take a long time, and the oldest ones will probably remain unknown, but I think that several missing person cases will be finally solved. Speaking of which, the mage had been preying all over Boston it seems. At least two of his latest victims had vanished in entirely different neighborhoods. The people stumbling into the theatre were just targets of opportunity, he had been picking off victims here and there. That is most likely how he managed to keep doing it for so long right under our noses. There are so many people in the Greater Boston area that a handful of disappearances with years of inactivity in between went unnoticed among similar cases. But to think that all this time he has been murdering people right under our noses... At least his killings are now over."

"But we already have new work waiting for us," Captain Graves said. "The department has been asked to look into the murder of Ronnie Dillon. Someone, possibly a mage, threw him from a roof. Jones has already looked into the case a bit. Also, Sanctis called for backup. His investigation in Mexico City has led to some kind of death cult led by an ancient ghost with a reputation of being really difficult to put down for good. So, who wants to volunteer to go to Mexico City, and does anyone have an idea how we might be able to apprehend a ghost? We may be able to get some help from the local police, but it is a bit uncertain at this point."

Last edited:

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
Ben Falken

Ben raises a hand. "My Spanish is adequate, Captain, and I might be useful for a bit of sneaking about."

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
OCD Headquarters (Next Morning) · Jin-hee Hayes
HP: 21/24 · MP: 50/50 · Scene pts: 3/3 · Max potions/day: 2/4
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾

Jin-hee wasn’t having a great morning. Having being sent home after their misadventures in the old theatre, she managed to catch more sleep than Captain Graves, looking in better state than her, but the dull headache that hounded Jin since she woke up worsened once she started to work on her report about last night—not because it took some effort to keep her eyes from glazing over the text, but because she consulted a Russian dictionary to accurately describe what she learned from the Necromancer’s tome.

It turns out her last night’s conclusions were utterly wrong. Worse still, she told them to Ben, who had diligently relayed the information to the captain.

The warlock raised her head, unburying it from her hands, cheeks still red from shame. She had just realized her mistake when Graves walked in. She drank off a generous sallow from her coffee. “I don’t speak Spanish, only Latin. I don’t know how to apprehend ancient ghosts. But I might be useful... for something. Sanctis needs help, right?”

OOC: Good thing scene points refreshed, because Jin still needs 24h to fully recover her HP. And possibly max potions per day too, depending on your definition of “day”.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Captain Graves raised an eyebrow. "Needs help? Well, let's see. According to his verbal report, so far Sanctis has investigated a murder scene left by a demon with a reputation of going after people who try to track it down. Then he and some local Devil Hunter got into a lethal fight with a dozen members of a Mexican drug gang. Then he ended up in a barfight with a Grunt Mage even bigger than he is. And then he dragged some sleazy Warlock into the bar's restroom to wring information about the death cult out of the guy. Apparently the cult is in possession of some information regarding a demonic plot. And then he decided to call for backup. So I think it is safe to say that he does need help."

The captain frowned. "Especially since I am pretty sure he left something out of his report. I have received enough reports that I can tell when I am not being told everything. When I tried to prod him about it he made some vague remarks about having had to work with some locals to advance the investigation. I am not sure what that was about, but I could have sworn he sounded intimidated. And anything that can make Sanctis feel intimidated must be something really bad. I am not sure what he has got himself mixed in with, but forget volunteers. I am sending the lot of you, except for Jones. Since he has already looked into the case of the murdered kid, he can continue with that while you head for Mexico to help Sanctis."

POP

The acorn on Mort's in tray that Ratatoskr had adopted as his sleeping basket vanished and released its occupant. "Tsk? Tsk!" Ratatoskr said, pounced from desk to desk and jumped on Jin's head where he balanced on his hind legs, struck an aggressive posture and bared his teeth. "Rrt!"

"Aww, how cute!" Ms. Mercado commented, walking in. "I think he wants to come and help Angelo too."

"How wonderful," Captain Graves said dryly.

"It is a six hour flight from Boston to Mexico City," Ms. Mercado said. "If you make it to the morning flight, you can be there by early afternoon."

"We may have an option," Captain Graves said. "Sanctis has a contact in the city and she gave me a number of one of the local detectives. Detective Danel Machado. A Scribe. When I mentioned that I'd be sending people over, he asked if we have a Shadow Mage. Apparently our friends over there operate in a rather tight budget and they have had to make all kinds of arrangements to cut costs, such as travel expenses. So the departments in major cities have these." The captain went to fetch her tablet and brought up an image. It showed an empty room. In one wall there were a pair of black pillars, and the wall between them had been painted black as well. It was like a doorway. And drawn in white on the black wall was a mandala-like pattern. "This is a Shadow Door. Basically, it is an arcane pattern designed to act as a focus for the Create Door spell. The pattern on the Shadow Door is unique, no two doors have the same pattern. There is apparently some kind of formula derived from the coordinates of the location where the door is. By focusing on the pattern while casting the spell, it is possible to open a doorway there even if you have never been at the location before. So it is up to you. You can take a plane or travel by magic. In the latter case, we just need to send them a message and let them know we are coming, because for safety reasons Shadow Doors are in sealed rooms that need to be opened from the outside."

OOC: Ben knows that attempting to open a door to a location that far away would be costly in magic power. 15 points per attempt.

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
Ben Falken

Ben, to Captain Graves: "Maybe the department could spring for a couple of power elixirs, Captain?"
He steps in to take a close look at the image on the Captain's Tablet.

Potted Plant

Power Flower
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Our budget is not unlimited either," Captain Graves said. "I need to justify alchemical expenses, and those elixirs are two hundred per bottle."

"The cheapest flight to Mexico City would be $285 per person," Ms. Mercado pointed out. "And budget flights like that usually take several stops and a lot longer than the six hours for a non stop flight. Those can end up costing more than $500."

"Two power elixirs sounds good," the Captain stated.

Top Bottom