• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Supers] 4C. Is it dead?

AslanC

BE HEROIC!
Validated User
So I went on a 4C resource hunt recently and found a couple of forums that are next to inactive, a handful of pdfs on Drive-Thru-RPG and that's about it.

Is this game dead? I constantly seem people gushing about how much they loved FASERIP (myself being one of them, having only recently movedon to BASH! and keeping an eye on ICONS), yet it seems a effort to revive it via retro-clone has done little to either rekindle that love or capture its attention.

Why is that? I am really curious on this topic and would love to get serious insight on it.

MadWritter

"Cartoon Action Hour" fan
Validated User
Two make a long story short, here's a path from 4Color to it's latest version

4Color > Cartoon Action Hour: Season 1 > Cartoon Action Hour: Season 2.

Get the picture?

AslanC

BE HEROIC!
Validated User
Nope I don't since 4Colour and 4C aren't the same game at all. 4C was Phil Reed's retro-clone of Marvel FASERIP that came out last year or the year before.

AslanC

BE HEROIC!
Validated User
People aren't as exceited about the retro-clone, because of things it handles oddly, or at best ham-handedly.
I am curious as to which things? I would like to know what it is that turns people off of it. For me it was how it felt very incomplete and that the Rank numbers didn't match up to the old FASERIP, requiring conversion instead of straight porting of old characters and adventures.

What other things are there?

EndymionMallorn

Retired User
Basically you have the problems right there. The system is in itself very rough - that's why they actually suggest in the book that you use it not as a game in itself, but to write your own game over it. The differences between Basic and Advanced are too vast, and not well-documented for my group. And, the difference between 00 being zero or one hundred goes a lot further than what it would seem.

The Master Table as a whole has far too many ranks, as well - I mean, SHIFT ranks in FASERIP can work well, and very often, high-powered heroes like the Hulk can scrape up against SHIFT-X with the number of CS going for them, but there seems, to me, to be an expectation that these things should be in common use. Where the original game had an inbuilt expectation of Monstrous or lower, this seems to be a game that attempts to "rebalance" the game by instead swapping that.

At least, that's the basics of it to me.

seneschal

Banned
I know Hazard Studios is busy working on a creature compendium for 4C and is talking about doing a non-supers iteration, possibly fantasy (knows about ZEFRS).

Silverlion

Banned
I'm working on a SMITE! Which is drawn from MSH/4C but it will be somewhat different. More my own take on retrocloning it adapted for highly skilled SWAT teamesque fantasy.

I'm just slow and SMITE is sadly back burner stuff.

BPIJonathan

I'll be superamalgamated!
Validated User
I know Hazard Studios is busy working on a creature compendium for 4C and is talking about doing a non-supers iteration, possibly fantasy (knows about ZEFRS).
Battlefield Press is doing something similar, so maybe I need to get together with the guys at Hazard to make sure Im not walking over them.

iNDiRPGJay

Icon by Jay
Validated User
I put time into 4C, but prior to it coming out I had already done a FASERIP/D20 Hybrid game and in the end went with my Guardian Universe II mechanic over the 4C mechanic. Heck, even my Guardian Universe CST uses a FASERIP/Fuzion mechanic. So for me it never died. 4c just confirmed that people still had interest.

My freebie for 4c is still up. Guardian OmegaVerse.

Top Bottom