• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Supers] Freeform games that emulate superheroes but not comics?

Tensen01

Go, Play; For Justice!
Validated User
Long title, but that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks to Endgame I'm in a Supers mood, but I'm hoping to find a Supers game that is a bit more freeform with what you can do. Like it's open either through it's rules or lack of rules, to interesting uses of powers and such. BUT, and this is a big but, I'm not looking for games that put any emphasis on emulating Comics Books. What i mean by that is games that structure the games like a Comic book, or that codify comic terms into rules (since as "panels" for turns or having special "internal monologue" stuff. With Great Power... I'm looking at you). I'm interested in the Heroes, not the format, if that makes sense.

White-Corax

Validated User
Aberrant from White Wolf ("soon" to get a 2nd Edition from Onyx Path Publishing) would be an obvious candidate I believe. At least the 1st Edition (for all its faults about rules breaking down in high power levels) did not specifically aim to emulate comics. In some books they went out of their way to distance themselves from comic books.

VictorVonDoom

Hikikomori
Validated User
The original Marvel Superheroes has this covered. Rules lite, emulates a world with superheroes but doesn't impose narrative genre tropes on gameplay, highly supported, and available free online

Andrew_A

Validated Invalid
Validated User
The original Marvel Superheroes has this covered. Rules lite, emulates a world with superheroes but doesn't impose narrative genre tropes on gameplay, highly supported, and available free online
MSH heavily enforced comic book narrative tropes with its karma rules. For example, you weren’t allowed to kill

Tensen01

Go, Play; For Justice!
Validated User
Aberrant from White Wolf ("soon" to get a 2nd Edition from Onyx Path Publishing) would be an obvious candidate I believe. At least the 1st Edition (for all its faults about rules breaking down in high power levels) did not specifically aim to emulate comics. In some books they went out of their way to distance themselves from comic books.
Sadly, I assume it's the WW system?

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
I mean, at the extreme, how would you feel about something like Fate Accelerated, or Freeform Universal? Like, either of those would certainly handle superpowered characters with proper running, and are very loose and light without any specific comic book things tied to them.

Tensen01

Go, Play; For Justice!
Validated User
I mean, at the extreme, how would you feel about something like Fate Accelerated, or Freeform Universal? Like, either of those would certainly handle superpowered characters with proper running, and are very loose and light without any specific comic book things tied to them.
completely unfamiliar with Freeform Universal, but from the name it's probably more freeform than I want. As for Fate... I dislike Fate a lot, BUT reading through FA a bit I liked it better than regular Fate.

I suppose I'm looking for maybe a Medium-Lite game in crunchiness.

Tensen01

Go, Play; For Justice!
Validated User
So just too a look at Freeform Universal... Actually I think I like it. Hafta dive a little deeper.

D13

Luckily Unlucky
Validated User
If we're allowed generic systems, then I'll throw in with Savage Worlds. All the genre without the comicbook structure. Even Savage World's main superhero setting Necessary Evil approaches the game from a serious world. Necessary Evil isn't about superheroes who live in a world that exists on the pages of a book. I think the art takes that direction a bit, but the game does not.

If we're allowed to break the crunchiness suggestion Mutants and Masterminds only has rough meta game approach to comicbook style supers. Characters in this game could be played in setting. Some of the GM advice is like, "these are superheroes, they don't die for real in the comics." But that's from a high up top down, there are no inherent structures within the system that forces anyone to play a 'comicbook' game.

Top Bottom