Supers rpgs: Embarrassment of Riches

Futurella

slowpoke
Validated User
So the stars are aligning and it looks like we'll get to do some supers gaming later this summer. We've agreed on a light hearted gonzo super-apocalypse type of setting, and i said I'd knock some stuff together.

Well, I was thinking, I love to do supers with my hack of the FU or Free Universal system. I pretty much just added some stunts to FU and it makes a really nice game that gets out of the way and is easy for new players to grok instantly. But, you know, I really do love Fate Accelerated for Supers, and I haven't done as much of that as I would like. Hm. Ok, FAE it is. Well, of course, I just got through reading the new Supers! game recently and it does look good. It has such a nice texture of old and new school feels, I know it would really appeal to one of my players who finds Fate a little wonky. It does have a lot of good stuff in it. Hm. Maybe Supers! is a good choice. But then my beloved said something about all those Fate dice I bought recently, and heck, I do love FAE. So what the heck, FAE.
And then this morning there's another preview from the upcoming ICONS Assembled. Say, isnt ICONS my favorite system when FAE isn't my favorite system? And the new ICONS Assembled might be just perfect. And I swear i was the first person to call for a new edition of ICONS way back, which gives me a grave and serious responsibility.

Huh. I mean, there's been a bit of a new wave of good supers games recently, but it is only now that I realize that I am practically drowning - these just aren't supers games, they aren't just good supers games, they are actually a glut of my favorite supers games. How is that even possible? How can I have so many favorites? And come to think of it, I haven't even mentioned them all here.

Anyway, i have no idea what I am gonna do for my game, tentatively titled Suddenly: Supers! (An Apocalypse in 4 Colours) but i do know that there is something awesome about having so many very good supers games at my fingertips.

Kudos to a lot of very generous and clever people for putting me in this impossible position!

Last edited:

Futurella

slowpoke
Validated User
Well, the real problem is - what are we going to do about it? Even when I was young and gaming constantly I didn't have the time to give all these systems their due!

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Are we not talkin abiout Cortex + Heroic Roleplaying, because it OOP at the moment (until we get a non-Marvel one) or some other reason?

Spikey

Mean Mm-Mm Servant of God
Validated User
One approach would be to run the same characters through a couple, a handful or even a dozen or so different systems and explore the differences: you could handle narrative continuity by making each system an alternative earth, if that wouldn't mess up your superpocalypse premise. Also, you didn't mention Capes but it's one of the best supers games I've ever played.

Futurella

slowpoke
Validated User
Are we not talkin abiout Cortex + Heroic Roleplaying, because it OOP at the moment (until we get a non-Marvel one) or some other reason?
We totally should be mentioning it. I just can't hold so many good titles in my mind all at one time. Cortex heroic is an amazingly fun game.

Top Bottom