• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Supers] Seeking Superman-esque character name

Makrakken

Validated User
Yeah, some of those "ruling" names are starting to sound a bit threatening... "Imperator", "Overlord"... they're good villain names, not hero names.
It depends entirely on what type of world you're building/playing.

If the world has a four-colour, two-fisted justice vibe, then yep - definitely villainous villains.

If your world is more like The Authority or The (original) Watchmen or anything by Garth Ennis, then they are right in the sweet spot.

The personality & beliefs of the hero in question should also influence the name. Yes, a warm, caring, older brother-type is definitely going to be more Paragon than Imperator. But for a distant, greater-good, father-figure type, Imperator is right on the money.

And of course personal opinion also has relevance here.

Last edited:

AbjectQuestioner

Low SAN Score
Validated User
Aegis - If they deem themselves the ultimate defender.
Gladius - If they are more aggressive and strike first against baddies.
Corona - If their powers are particularly solar, like DC's Apollo.
Incredilass - Girl wonder from a Four Color Comic world, or maybe the Incredibles 'verse.
Subject: Alpha - In a different take, where Superman is a created being, an infant mind in an incredibly powerful body.
The Evolved - An enigmatic figure claiming to be the next step in human evolution.

Hmm ... sorry I might be getting a little off the mark.
No, those are cool descriptions. Better still, they inspire thought.

If the world has a four-colour, two-fisted justice vibe, then yep - definitely villainous villains.

If your world is more like The Authority or The (original) Watchmen or anything by Garth Ennis, then they are right in the sweet spot.

The personality & beliefs of the hero in question should also influence the name. Yes, a warm, caring, older brother type is definitely going to be more Paragon than Imperator. But for a distant, greater good father figure type, Imperator is right on the money.

Ad of course personal opinion also has relevance here.
Yes . . . there's something inherently scary about a superman, a feeling probably best explored in Irredeemable. Kal-El is a benevolent figure, but what was that line from the Suicide Squad movie, one of the best things init? "We got lucky with Superman. He shared our values." It's easy to conceive of one that's not.

Which isn't to say dark descriptions are all that should be offered, because by their very nature comics are a hopeful genre, the most popular ones showing that, indeed, good will triumph over evil. So, I like me some good Supermen . . . but the bad ones have their uses, too.

Makrakken

Validated User
Yes . . . there's something inherently scary about a superman, a feeling probably best explored in Irredeemable. Kal-El is a benevolent figure, but what was that line from the Suicide Squad movie, one of the best things init? "We got lucky with Superman. He shared our values." It's easy to conceive of one that's not.

Which isn't to say dark descriptions are all that should be offered, because by their very nature comics are a hopeful genre, the most popular ones showing that, indeed, good will triumph over evil. So, I like me some good Supermen . . . but the bad ones have their uses, too.
I LOVED that line in what was a hot mess of a film. There was so much unspoken menace implied in the 'what ifs' it generated.

Irredeemable was a great take on the dark Superman trope. As is Homelander from The Boys & several analogues in the old Marshall Law comics IIRC. And even Superman himself if you take a look at some of the alternative takes on him such as in Injustice, Overman (from Earth-10 I think) & the Tangent comics version - all great evil Superman variants.

I suppose you could say that the Superman from The Dark Knight could also possibly seen as a dark Supes variant given his allegiance to the corrupt US government.

But Superman is probably my favourite superhero, so I'm 100% with you on the good Superman. I adore the take on him in Kingdom Come by Mark Waid & Alex Ross. The paragon who retired, jaded & disillusioned, to come back with a "I've-had-it-with-you-kids" angry Grandpa vibe. The Grant Morrision & Frank Quitely 'All-Star Superman' is a wonderful take on Silver Age Supes. Alan Moore's 'Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?' is a great closer to Silver Age Superman.

If you haven't read it, Alan Moore's run on Supreme is a lovely tribute to Superman. And finally, check out Mr Majestic's end of the universe story - I unfortunately cannot recall the name of it off the top of my head, but it recalls some of the weird 60s & 70s Superman stories I remember reading as a kid.

Delgarde

Validated User

It _does_ depend, but I think a name like "Overlord" is going to be at least vaguely threatening in any setting. It might indeed be the name of a hero in some settings — but it's still going to have an ominous tone... it's a name for a "benevolent" dictator who crushes crime with brutal efficacy, not a beloved hero of the people.

Makrakken

Validated User
... but I think ...
Indeed. As I said:
And of course personal opinion also has relevance here.
... it's a name for a "benevolent" dictator who crushes crime with brutal efficacy, not a beloved hero of the people.
You're bang on with that description. Overlord certainly does have a sinister undertone, no matter the setting. Imperator would be similar I think, perhaps not 'brutal' but more calculating, a cold, distant, arrogant figure.

The OP asked for names for a Superman-esque character, which was refined to mean 'Atlas' level heroes with super strength, speed, flight, limited or total invulnerability, etc. There were a lot of great 'paragon', 'big blue boyscout' & neutral name examples given prior to my post, none for less, shall we say altruistic versions of Superman.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
Hmm ... sorry I might be getting a little off the mark.
No, those are cool. I especially like Corona (not least because it sounds like a superwoman as much as a superman).
Yeah, some of those "ruling" names are starting to sound a bit threatening... "Imperator", "Overlord"... they're good villain names, not hero names.
That's why I split my opinions between names the character chooses and those bestowed on them by other people. Even some of the unthreatenings ones, like Zenith - the sound of them is good for the atmosphere of a Superman-like hero, but the image of said hero picking them is not (I'd even say that goes for Superman itself - I like that these days it tends to be other people who coin it).

Top Bottom