• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Survival RPG like the Long Dark, Stranded Deep, etc

Riggswolfe

Validated User
Like the title says. I had a similar topic to this but it was focused mostly on the crafting side of things. Now I wonder if there is a tabletop RPG that mimics these types of games where the primary game element is simply trying to survive day-to-day. I think it might be a nice change of pace if I can talk my players into it. Similar to the crafting topic I made the closest I can think of is Mutant Year Zero.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
If you don't mind D&D 5e, Hellscapes has rules for crafting and day to day survival.

Riggswolfe

Validated User
I've done a bit of searching around the web and keep hearing about Twilight 2000. The consensus seems to be that the 2013 version isn't very good. Those other two are fantasy and I was leaning more towards "real world" or maybe sci-fi for this type of RPG.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Hellscapes isn't fantasy. It may use a fantasy rpg engine, but it is at most science fantasy (you know, zombies or aliens). The replacements for spells and magic items are cinematic rather than fantastic. And there is no setting, it is a toolbox meant to allow for many types of post-apocalyptic gaming.

Riggswolfe

Validated User
Hellscapes isn't fantasy. It may use a fantasy rpg engine, but it is at most science fantasy (you know, zombies or aliens). The replacements for spells and magic items are cinematic rather than fantastic. And there is no setting, it is a toolbox meant to allow for many types of post-apocalyptic gaming.
Interesting....

I don't have D&D 5e but have heard good things about it. I dropped out of the D&D scene during 4th Edition. By and large, my gaming group likes less restrictive games with skills and such opposed to the D&D class system but I may check it out. Is this some kind of Modern d20 style thing? *goes to Google it*

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
I've done a bit of searching around the web and keep hearing about Twilight 2000. The consensus seems to be that the 2013 version isn't very good. Those other two are fantasy and I was leaning more towards "real world" or maybe sci-fi for this type of RPG.
You could wait for the new version.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
I used GURPS 4th edition to run a "Shipwrecked"/Survival scenario. Mechanically it worked fairly well, GURPS has a lot of dials you can twirl to get the level of grit you desire.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I don't have D&D 5e but have heard good things about it. I dropped out of the D&D scene during 4th Edition. By and large, my gaming group likes less restrictive games with skills and such opposed to the D&D class system but I may check it out. Is this some kind of Modern d20 style thing? *goes to Google it*
5e has skills but isn't skill centric. Hellscapes isn't a stand alone product but all you really need to use it is a copy of the PH. The DMG has many nifty options, as does Xanathar, but those are just options.

Top Bottom