[SW Saga] AoO answer

Dr. Halflight

Awaiting June 6th
Over on the WotC boards, one of the designers had this to say about AoO:

So...yeah. This is another example of people jumping to conclusions without having all the info (not your fault--the info's not available). The Mobility feat only mentions moving into a threatened square for the rare occurrence where that provokes an AoO: moving into a square occupied by the enemy.

Also, to quote the Saga Edition core rulebook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter 9: Combat
If an enemy moves out of a square adjacent to you or performs an action that forces him to let down his guard, you can make a single, immediate attack against that enemy (even if you’ve already acted during the round). This is called an attack of opportunity.

You can only make attacks of opportunity with melee weapons, natural weapons, pistols, carbines, and any weapon with a folded stock. You may also make attacks of opportunity while unarmed if you have the Martial Arts I feat.

I'm in the "like this more & more" camp still.

C.W.Richeson

RPG Reviewer
RPGnet Member
People moving near you lets you shoot them more often?

Interesting, but odd. I would have been fine with just throwing AoOs out all together.

Wizdoc

Right Trigger of Justice
People moving near you lets you shoot them more often?
Only if they move away. You can move in and dance around for your heart's content and not provoke an AoO.

If this is the extent of the Attack of Opportunity rules, then I'm okay with it. All the various exceptions and additional rules in the Revised Core book made me dump it altogether. This, of course made some of the Feats useless, but it was a minor problem.

I think things are going to be much more straightforward in Saga. I certainly hope so.

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
Only if they move away. You can move in and dance around for your heart's content and not provoke an AoO.
Really? I always figured AOOs worked like the old Blood Bowl tackle zone rules, and that moving from a threatened square to another threatened square still counted as 'moving out of a threatened square'.

Mr. Golden Deal

needs something new here
How hard would it be to completely rip out all mentions to 'squares' and other miniatures based terminology, do you think? I'm not a fan of this migration to mini-based gaming at all, and if Saga will be minis based I'm more or less completely turned off.

Wizdoc

Right Trigger of Justice
How hard would it be to completely rip out all mentions to 'squares' and other miniatures based terminology, do you think? I'm not a fan of this migration to mini-based gaming at all, and if Saga will be minis based I'm more or less completely turned off.
Not hard at all:

1 square = 1.5 meters = 5 feet

Multiply everything involving squares by either 1.5 or 5 and you're good to go.

C.W.Richeson

RPG Reviewer
RPGnet Member
My experiences with Revised and D&D suggest that the game will work in substantially different ways without a grid and minis, but it's perfectly playable. You're just not going to get the same benefit out of mechanics like AoOs and it's probably best to discourage players from relying on those mechanics.

loconius

Validated User
squares is vital in all roleplaying games that involve combatants of different scales. starship combat's units are different from character which is different from vehicle. by doing squares you can easily coordinate speeds of adversaries without bringing out the calculator [insanely high speeds of space combat]

Top Bottom