[SWADE] IC - The Eye of Kilquato

Rowenn552

Validated User
~*~*~*~*~*~

ACT I
Race Through the City

~*~*~*~*~*~

We open on a darkened city filled with towering buildings and streets lit by promotional signs, lamps, and whatever light shines from within the many storefronts.

New York City
December 20th, 1939
plays across the screen.

We see a young boy in profile, his excited face reflected in the glass pane of the display window before him, thrilled by this year’s newest toys on the other side of that glass.

(( "WHAT WILL SANTA CLAUS SAY?" BY LOUIS PRIMA & HIS NEW ORLEANS GANG begins to play. ))

The boy turns and slips on some snow as he runs over to his dad, a tall man in a long grey coat and matching fedora.

The boy tugs on his father’s sleeve and says something before pulling the man to the store. The father is talking to someone else but laughs and lets himself be pulled along mouthing silently “Merry Christmas!” to the stranger. A woman wearing earmuffs laughs as well and catches up to the man and boy.

Snow falls gently all around. People crowd the sidewalks entering in and out of stores, arms full of gifts with happy smiles all around while vehicles carefully navigate the frost slicked roads. For now the problems facing europe and the world are distant as Christmas cheer swells at home.

The camera pans up and over giving a bird’s eye view of bustling New York City. The camera stops after a time to focus on the quiet Metropolitan Museum of Art... quiet maybe, but not empty.

The music slowly begins to fade to the back as we cut inside of the museum and move past countless, priceless works of art. We move through these dimly lit halls and eventually pass through a door with stairs leading down; here the music finally ceases. The silence though is quickly filled by muffled voices as we continue along down the corridor and pass through a door with a frosted pane that reads: “Archives”.

Inside the museum archives we meet the protagonists of this story, a disparate group of individuals searching for clues as to the whereabouts of their quarry. We see a well built man with a crew cut beside another man in a lab coat. Around them are splayed various maps and the two converse over the best route to take. There’s a tight shot of crew cut’s finger as it traces a course across a map of what appears to be an area in South America.

We also see an elderly gentleman in a top hat with a cane propped next to himself against the table as he flips through musty tomes talking quietly to himself in thought.

Meanwhile two kids busy themselves amidst the stacks and cabinets.

Nearby a well dressed man in his 60s splits his attention between watching the two kids anxiously as they kick around the place and taking interest in what the adults are doing. He raises a white gloved hand occasionally and offers assistance before his words catch and he goes back to watching the kids anxiously, his hands constantly fidgeting at the head of his cane. This man is Dr. Thomas Wetmore, curator of the Met and it is he who contacted each of you for aid in acquiring what he called, ‘The Eye of Kilquato’...

OOC: Dr. Wetmore has invited each of you, or in the case of Chaka and Joey, invited Alex and the two younger adventurers both tagged along. How did you each receive the invitation and what were you up to prior to this?
In the case of Chaka and Joey how did you react to Alex’s acceptance of the invitation?

Currently you’ve been in the archives for a few hours now and I’d like to some interaction and Research rolls from Alex, Doc, and Theo please.

I’d also like to get Notice rolls from Chaka and Joey and what the two of you have been up to in the museum to Dr. Wetmore’s exasperation.

For those unacquainted with SW you will roll your skill die and your wild die. The syntax for this in Orokos will be:
1dxox; 1d6o6
Where x = your skill die type.

Everyone has 3 bennies currently and they can be used for a number of different things (see pg. 89-90) and you’ll earn more through play. I try to be pretty generous handing bennies out so don’t be afraid to use them.

Once again, thanks for joining in and have at it!

Last edited:

JohnStargazer

Validated User
Joey Howe
Bennies:
W0/F0

"Sheesh, call this place a museum. Just a buncha borin' pictures and now a big room fulla borin' books an' stuff. I ain't seen a pickled pig, a set of thumbscrews, a wax figure'a some killer, nothing you get in a good museum. How 'bout you, Chaka?"

Joey pulls out another file of papers and documents, scans maybe a single sentence, and then drops it to the floor, apparently unconcerned with the mess he was making. He'd tagged along with Alex expecting something exciting to be in the offing, and an extended examination of maps and files was not exactly his cup of tea. Nor, ironically, was a cup of tea, but that's another matter. Instead, he's wandered off to search the archives for anything that actually catches his interest, as unlikely as it may be, and is basically just strewing additional papers around to no real purpose. Still, on the plus side, at least he's not making paper airplanes yet.

OOC: And Joey is not paying attention worth a darn. Notice Roll: 1d6o6 3 1d6o6 2 Taking your advice, I'll spend one of his Bennies to reroll the check. Notice Roll: 1d6o6 10 1d6o6 1 Much better!

storynow

Validated User
Doc Gold
Bennies: 3
W0 / F0

Research roll: 1d6o6 1

Research roll: 1d6o6 1

"Good Afternoon Doctor Wetmore, or is it evening. I have been in these blasted archives for so long. You know, your filing system is terribly inefficient. I have this great design for an electronic filing cabinet system. It use a computational engine to automatically catalog documents and mechanical relay system to store the items in the most space efficient manner. International Business Machines commissioned the design, although they said it would take up more space than it would reclaim, but my second design incorporates the latest in vacuum tube technology to reduce the size by 23.6 per cent, oh I am sorry where you about to say something Doctor. "

(BlackGoblin)

Validated User
Notice roll:1d6o6-2
Turning to Joey, Chaka turns his head sideways slightly in an animal like fashion when considering the question. "Chaka like it here."
Not understanding why Joey couldn't find the museum anything but amazing was simply beyond him. There was nothing this huge or magnificent in the Congo.
Earlier in the day after his English lesson, Chaka spied on Alex leaving in somewhat of a quiet manor. Thinking Alex was on his way to meet with the Dilettante without him, he quickly gathered his items and tagged along so as not to be outsmarted by this clearly inferior male.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Great Mancini

Theodore's apartment would be sad, if you saw it bare. But he's stuffed it full of the bright detritus of a lifetime of study, travel, and show business. You can't turn in any direction without a look full of lurid paintings and playbills, a trick sword, a bright silk kimono, a box of yellowed correspondence and a crystal ball. There's barely room to get the mail, which he examines every day. Usually hoping to find a check. The invitation, of course, he couldn't refuse. Paying work seemed to be drying up these days.

"Well, you see Joey, they keep all the really good stuff in the basement." Theo is keeping up a line of half-conscious patter while cross-referencing different books with each other and some handwritten notes. "The displays you see in the public areas are what you call curated - that means they don't put the things that would frighten children or scandalize adults out there."

"Now, if you were going to go look for this Eye of Kilquato, what's the first question you'd ask?"

OOC:
http://orokos.com/roll/695541

5 on the die. Success with no raise.

RocknRollFTW

Validated User
Alex always tried to use his skills for good. There were many ways a thug could find work throughout the world, but stopping criminals or warlords? Finding lost repositories of knowledge buried behind dozens of traps and bringing them back to civilization? Exciting and beneficial to mankind, these were truly rewarding for a man like Alexander Dairton.

So when the Curator for the museum above which Alex, Joey, and Chaka lived approached him, asking for his aid in recovering a lost piece of human history, how could he refuse?
---
A few days after receiving the invitation and a few hours of researching later, Alex was in a much less excited mood, grimacing as he ran his finger along the map. He knew where his strengths, and they weren't in book smarts. Out in the world, crawling through ancient ruins and fighting evil, that was where he was at his best, where he enjoyed being. This part, the research and planning always managed to frustrate him, despite it's necessity. Fortunate then that he didn't have to do this alone.

Even if the braniacs he was working with occasionally needed someone to yank them down to earth. "Doc, focus." He then turned towards the stage magician who was apparently something more. In truth, while Alex was acquainted with the Magician, it was Chaka who knew the most about him.
"Now, if you were going to go look for this Eye of Kilquato, what's the first question you'd ask?"
"You ask yourself what you already know about it. So Mr. Mcnally, have you found anything in your notes?"

OOC: I screwed up the syntax on the first die roll, and that's why there are three rolls here.
Research Roll and Research Roll 2: 4+3=7-2=5
Research Roll (Wild Die): 6+3=9-2=7
Either way, Success with no Raises (Unless the unskilled modifier isn't added to the Wild Die, in which case Success with 1 Raise)

Rowenn552

Validated User
Theo does discover legends of The Eye. It is written as being a very large yellow gemstone - most likely a garnet.
The Eye is rumored to be found as the eye of a massive crocodile statue in primitive ruins somewhere in Brazil.

Alex, despite not being so good with the books, finds a passage written by Spanish missionaries that places the ruins somewhere along the Purus river.
With a location narrowed down the city of Belem is marked as the destination to launch the expedition from.

Meanwhile,
Chaka and Joey share a look as they both hear footsteps shuffling around outside of the archives.
Joey additionally makes out dark huddled shapes creeping around *within* the archives.
Finally, Joey also hears a faint voice hissing commands... a voice he recognizes all too well.
The voice of Zhang Wu Fang, commander of the Crimson Claws and immortal sorcerer of the teachings of Ten Li’an.

“You fools! Could you be any louder? Go and learn what that American buffoon Alexander Dairton is after now. I will have my revenge after he and that child sidekick of his humiliated me within the Jade Labyrinth.”

OOC:
Spoiler: Show
Stealth: 1d8o8 3 1d6o6 2

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Great Mancini

"Not bad options. I'd ask how reliable the narrator is - is this a big fish story?" He relates what he learned about its size and color. "Maybe it's true. Maybe it's really shiny quartz. Tough to say. May be worth finding out."

(BlackGoblin)

Validated User
Chaka
Bennie's:3
W0/F0

Having been in the archives for the last few hours without hearing a peep outside the door, the shuffling footprints catch the attention of Chaka. While looking Joey in the eye seeing that he can hear them too, with a shrug and a grunt mouths the word "Who?"

JohnStargazer

Validated User
Joey Howe
Bennies:
W0/F0

Meanwhile,
Chaka and Joey share a look as they both hear footsteps shuffling around outside of the archives.
Joey additionally makes out dark huddled shapes creeping around *within* the archives.
Finally, Joey also hears a faint voice hissing commands... a voice he recognizes all too well.
The voice of Zhang Wu Fang, commander of the Crimson Claws and immortal sorcerer of the teachings of Ten Li’an.

“You fools! Could you be any louder? Go and learn what that American buffoon Alexander Dairton is after now. I will have my revenge after he and that child sidekick of his humiliated me within the Jade Labyrinth.”
"SIDEKICK?! SIDEKICK!" Joey burst out angrily in response to the unseen Zhang Wu Fang's statement, probably surprising the rest of the team something fierce. "I'll show that overstuffed palooka a thing or two! Why, if anything, the big guy's my sidekick! Where does he get off..."

So saying, he draws out his trusty sling, and starts stomping towards the creepy shadows, shouting "I'll murderize that Shanghai Shyster, see if I don't!"

Top Bottom