• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[SWADE] IC - The Eye of Kilquato

Rowenn552

Validated User
Doc Gold begrudgingly takes the feather back, “Well I suppose my smarts did the trick here.”
He stuffs it back into his pocket with the bright blue plume sticking up and out.

Three days later José stops over in a small village called Manaus where he trades goods before continuing downriver.

Another two days and you arrive at Pinobe, your destination. Just like in Manaus the villagers greet him happily and great interest in yourselves.
José opens crates displaying many clothes and garments which the women begin to sort through. Meanwhile the men gather to point and paw at any of the guns you carry.

You are all surrounded by the villagers who, while aren’t threatening in any way, are just all over you and speaking quickly in a language you don’t understand (however some do seem to know broken Spanish).

From Pinobe the old diary you found in New York said that the track to the Crocodile ruins would run. Somewhere in the jungle nearby here is the way to the Eye of Kilquato...

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Theo

Theo immediately starts looking for anyone in the village who is sophisticated enough to speak English well, and specifically a jungle guide.

(BlackGoblin)

Validated User
Back deep in the jungle, Chaka feels right at home. A silly grin covers his face at all times. Even though he doesn't understand everyone around him, strangely they feel like his kin.
He didn't understand the connection at first or why he felt so strongly about them but then came to the conclusion 'If I could be raised by apes and come to know them as family, surely these people who walk on two legs the way I do are my family as well.'
Playing with his brothers and sisters, Chaka is living in the moment, making prescious memories to take with him wherever he goes.

Rowenn552

Validated User
The children happily chase Chaka around the village while the sounds of trade and barter fill the air.
José seems to speak some of this language but he’s quite busy at the moment.

Theo meanwhile wades easily through the throng and past those onlookers and village gossips seeking some sort of translator or guide. The old magician’s eyes eventually find a soft faced man with cold eyes and crossed arms that appears to be overseeing the delivery from afar.

While Doc Gold and Alec keep politely smacking probing fingers and hands from their guns Theo approaches the man who he can only suspect is in charge.

Theo,
As you approach the man he turns his head to you briefly and nods before turning back to the boat.
When greeting the man you are surprised that he immediately responds in English, albeit broken.
“Aman, head man. Seek guide? Where you go?”, Aman pats his chest when he introduces himself. He gesticulates and smiles often while speaking to get his meaning across. He seems amiable enough but his eyes are quite steely and continue to flash back to the boat often. You suspect to make sure his people aren’t too pushy.

The Wyzard

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC:
Did the old book give us any indication of how long the journey was? I actually don't want to say too much in front of a lot of people. I still expect pursuit.

Rowenn552

Validated User
OOC:
OOC:
Did the old book give us any indication of how long the journey was? I actually don't want to say too much in front of a lot of people. I still expect pursuit.
The journal entries mentioned in the book made it out to be only a day or two journey from Pinobe. Not far honestly and definitely close enough that these locals, at least some, would be aware of the location. Fishermen and hunters more than likely or elderly otherwise.

You can be sure that some of these people know of the ruins, whether by legend or the actual whereabouts. They’re just too close not to.

The Wyzard

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Theo

"Journey of maybe a week. There are ruins nearby, yes? We need to get there and back, and have a couple days to look around. We want to leave soon, and keep it quiet. Is this something you can do?"

Rowenn552

Validated User
Aman purses his lips and his eyes drift away from the trading and back to you Theo.

“Jungle not good place for pale folk. Dangerous, not safe like your cities.”

As the men paw at the machetes and guns and other weird accoutrements on Doc Brown one of them jostles the blue feather from a pocket.

It gently twirls to the ground and the group of people gathered around Alec and Doc Brown briefly pause in their groping and gawking.

One of them picks the feather up and runs away with it further into the village.

Doc Gold yells, “Hey, you there! That belongs to me!”, he doesn’t give chase but rubs his chin and says to you Alec, “Well that is quite interesting.”

Alec, you can just barely see that the man is running toward... Theo? No, of course not, there is another man there obscured by and speaking with the old magician. That appears to be the true target.

Chaka and Joey you both see a man yelling something in his language and running full tilt towards the man that Theo is speaking to. The running man stumbles and falls face first in the dirt but just rolls with it and keeps on running.

He’s holding the feather in the air above his head as he goes and drawing quite a bit of interest and attention to himself.

The headman gently puts a hand to your chest Theo and pushes you to the side saying something to this frantic man running towards the two of you.

In his hand is the feather that was gifted to Doc Gold from the healer of the tribe afflicted by cholera you helped days ago.

The two men exchange words and the headman looks at you appraisingly. He flits glances at your comrades as well and nods while taking the feather from the man and handing it over to you.

“Gaul will guide you.”, the headman says something to the man that just delivered the feather and then that man takes on a terrified look and begins to plead with Aman.

The headman returns to overseeing the now resumed trading but offers advice while keeping his focus on the boat, “Crocodile temple. Old tribe, strange ways... we keep away. You should too. Gaul know your language small, enough.”

His gentle face hardens and his jaw sets firmly. He speaks no more on the matter besides a sharp word to silence Gaul and then instructions to the frightened man.

Gaul nods and turns to you Theo, head down, and joins your side.

OOC: You have your guide! A bit reluctant for the job but the feather came in handy.

(BlackGoblin)

Validated User
Chaka looks at Joey then back at the man unsure why he was running. Saying "Come Joey!" Chaka falls in line following the man running with the blue feather held out in his hand. After deciding the man means no harm, he comes to rest beside Theo causally awaiting the news.
Once seeing they have acquired a guide Chaka grins and nods to Joey. "They will take us friend! Let's hunt before we leave, I am hungry."
With little time to waste Chaka hefts his spear and heads into the jungle looking for some type of food. After only a few moments he speared a grouse hiding in some underbrush and took it back into the village to clean and cook it.

OOC: Survival: 1d8o8 7 1d6o6 4

Rowenn552

Validated User
José comes trotting over to your group. Back at the boat you can see a couple of the villagers of Pinobe have taken his place in controlling the trading.

“Well this is it folks. I will be heading further downriver after speaking with Aman. I will be back in a week and wait for your return. Good luck my friends. If there are any supplies you need, feel free to check my boat.”

Chaka emerges from the jungle, game in hand, to some of the village children’s delight. He had been gone mere moments it had seemed.

José adds while laughing, “It would seem that food might not be a problem on your journey!”

Top Bottom