• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[SWADE] IC - The Eye of Kilquato

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Great Mancini

"Samuel Johnson said that he who makes a beast of himself loses the pain of being a man. I think that you have simply reversed the operation. On balance this will prove to have been the right decision, or even the only decision you could ultimately have made. But it is natural, too, to regret." Mancini stares out of the window of the plane. "Regret is one of the great currencies of humanity, and as you give things away you will pile up a store of it. But there are compensations, always compensations. Let's keep looking, and we'll find you a few of them, yes?"

Rowenn552

Validated User
As Chaka drifts off to Theo’s words the others each think of home as well with the thrum of engine a constant background noise.

[Cut to a tan overland map. An airplane takes off with a *Vrrrmmm* sound from New York City. It flies first to Houston, Texas leaving a red dashed arc behind it. Without pause it leaps from Houston flying further south for a stop in Mexico City before continuing towards the jungles of Brazil leaving the red dashes behind itself again. Here the plane comes to a stop at a small dot on the map marked Belem...
As the plane moves towards the mark of Belem we too zoom forward until we’re in the cockpit looking out the window. The jungle canopy is spread before us but breaks suddenly into a wide open swathe of civilization. Belem is a mishmash of cobbled together homes and huts made of tin and tarps and whatever else could be used to build shelter. To the north the Amazon River runs northwest into the rainforest to the south is the Purus River.]

“HOLD ONTO YOUR PANTS I’M BRINGING ‘ER DOWN!”, yells the pilot.

The plane swoops around and overhead of the village while villagers look up in wonder. Children point and jump and the pilot just grits his teeth...
He brings the plane down on what must constitute a runway here but what isn’t much more than a couple of rutted tracks in a field. Nearby cattle scare and a young boy chases after them with long switch doing what he can to calm the beasts.

It is a bumpy landing to be sure but you all make out no worse for wear.

“WHOO BOY!”, The pilot hollers, “This has been a helluva ride folks but here’s your stop. Doc Wetmore said to hang tight for a coupla’ days until you get back with whatever you’re here to get. If you need me I’ll be at the cantina getting a drink and a bite to eat.”
And that quick the man is off speaking to some local and being pointed in a direction.

Meanwhile children begin to gather nearby, smile, and point at the newcomers.

OOC: Ok so you are in Belem and your previous research discovered a route and some rumors.
You’ll be heading south along the Purus River towards the village of Pinobe.

You’ll need to acquire a boat, potentially a driver for the boat, and ideally some provisions. There is a dock along the river and this is a little sort of trading city before you get deep into jungle territory. A decent sized pocket of civilization so to speak.
How you go about these tasks will be totally up to you.

The Wyzard

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Great Mancini

"This is a good sign. Most of my best expeditions started with rather dubious landings."

He digs out his wallet. "Okay, we left before we could get local currency. We need to figure out how much money we have, or what we have that we can trade, and whether they'll even take American dollars."

(BlackGoblin)

Validated User
Excitement and a feeling of belonging rush in and grab a hold of Chaka's senses! The freshness and organic smell of life, the dirt and the forest threaten to take away everything he's learned in these past six months!
Looking into the faces of the children he drops down on all fours and starts mimicking a monkey with the sounds and movements of chimpanzees. The chortles of the children's laughter and seeing them imitate monkeys in return warms Chaka's heart. He does it so well you can see just how far he's come in such a short amount of time. Truly one would believe that he was a monkey! When three of the children tackle him, he falls with his back to the ground laughing. The children laugh as they play and everyone can see that this is just what Chaka needs.
After some time and saying his goodbyes to the children Chaka walks up to the rest of the group looking kindly and lighter of heart. "We can rent boat at village. One of the children tell me their Papa has boat."

Rowenn552

Validated User
"We can rent boat at village. One of the children tell me their Papa has boat."
It is through this little boy, Paulo Ortéz, that Chaka learns of Jose Ortéz the boy’s father and owner of a larger boat called the Amazonia.
Jose can be found at the docks currently.

(BlackGoblin)

Validated User
Chaka
Bennie's:4
W0/F0

As the group walks up to the docks and meet with Jose Ortéz, Chaka introduces himself as a friend of Paulo. "Paulo say you give discount to friends." He says with the most charming smile he can muster extending his hand out for a hearty handshake.

OOC: Persuasion: 1d4o4 1 1d6o6 4

The Wyzard

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Theo sees that Chaka seems to have it handled, and that he doesn't need to step in. Instead, he helps the rest of the party gather their funds together, and tries to generate some informed speculation about what amount of supplies they will need, and whether it would be advisable to try and retain some porters.

Rowenn552

Validated User
Chaka,
A tall, ropy, brown skinned man looks up from his ropework at you Chaka. He has a mustache, well worn clothes, and sandals. He stands up from his hunched over posture and crosses his arms while looking at Paulo playing with a ball with some friends nearby.

He responds in accented English loud enough for the boy to hear, “Paulo say that did he?”

Paulo looks over and cringes before he and the other kids kick the ball away between some buildings and go chasing after it.

The man clears his throat, “Yeah I suppose if Paulo say this then it’s true, for now at least.”, he looks you over Chaka and then the others of the group a short distance from yourself.
“You are un poco niño yourself, what do you need boat for?”, he raises an eyebrow at you, appraising you, as he asks this.

Alex, Doc Gold, Joey, and Theo,
The rest of you nearby can hear what’s going on in the conversation nearby but you are also able to see the rest of the docks. There are a few smaller boats there when a louder one pulls into dock. It’s a pretty big number with a nasty looking heavy machine gun on the rear of it.
A number of burly and rough looking men tie it up and then head into town.

Theo,
While a few of these men are tying their boat up you take notice to one of them nodding in the direction of Jose’s boat. He whispers something a few of the others. They laugh together and then that’s when they head off.

What do each of you do?

OOC: Theo you have an opportunity, a briefest of moments to react before they’re out of sight if you wanted to perform one of your tricks.
Just remember that you chose Magic as your Arcane Background. You’ve gotta make a show of it to use that; loud intonations and obvious gesticulations are the name of that game.
It’s might not be obvious you’re doing magic but it will draw attention to you. I will say for a Benny you can perform it more low-key.

(BlackGoblin)

Validated User
Chaka grins slightly and tilts his head unsure if he understood exactly what Mr. Ortéz is saying. Some words he clearly understood, others not so much. As for what they needed the boat for was simple. “We need boat to go on water.” Chaka replied with a confused look on his face. He couldn't understand how Paulo's father Jose, clearly a smart and industrious man couldn't understand they needed a boat to go on the water. Shrugging his shoulders Chaka offers Mr. Ortéz another smile and nods encouragingly.

The Wyzard

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Theo motions to Joey, and leans down to whisper in his ear. "Look at those men over there. I think they're up to no good. Can you follow them, without being noticed?"

OOC:
This is tremendously irresponsible behavior from an adult to a child, but "boy adventurer" is basically "child endangerment victim" in pulp-ese, so I guess I'm doing it anyway. :D

Top Bottom