• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[SWADE] IC - The Eye of Kilquato

JohnStargazer

Registered User
Validated User
Joey Howe
Bennies:
6
W0/F0

"Sure, Gramps, I can follow 'em, no problem! Quiet as a mouse, silent as the wind, you know me, ya never know when I'm around!"

Joey continues to ramble to himself about how good at going unnoticed he is as he wanders off in the direction the men went, completely oblivious to how this is a problem.

Luckily, while he's a loud-mouth and a bit obnoxious, Joey is smarter than he looks, and knows that the best way for a young boy to surreptitiously trail after a group of dangerous men in a bustling marketplace situation is to blend in with the inevitable crowd of unsupervised children that plagues any large gathering space throughout the world. One improvised game of tag later, and Joey's got himself a decent smokescreen.

Of course, if Joey were really smart, or at least less overconfident in his own abilities, he'd have grabbed his spear-wielding wild child teammate as back-up, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

OOC: Sneak Roll: 1d6o6 3 1d6o6 8 Success no raise, unless I get an equipment bonus for "Large crowd of children".
 

RocknRollFTW

Registered User
Validated User
Alex silently watches Theodore and Joey's talk, then watches Joey run off, all with a conflicted look on the Explorer's face. Then finally, before Joey leaves his sight, Alex makes a decision.

"I'm gonna follow him. In case he gets into trouble." Alex starts slowly walks after Joey, careful to keep a good distance between himself and the young boy. He's also following the same men Joey is, but he frequently loses sight of them as the pursuit continues, as Alex does his best to avoid being spotted by the suspicious men. As long as Joey is following them, all Alex has to do is follow the boy in question and he'll lead the pair of explorers right back to their targets.

OOC: Stealth Roll: 1d6o6 4
Holy Shit Wild Die: 1d6o6 27
 
Last edited:

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
Theo and Doc Gold,
You watch Joey leave first to follow the boating goons. In moments he’s blended in with the local kids kicking a ball as if he belonged.
His eyes however never leave sight of the men as he masterfully works his way towards them.

Alex isn’t far behind. If the kid made it look easy, Alex was a real pro and it showed.

That left the two of you listening to Chaka and Jose, Paulo’s father and boat owner, try to communicate back and forth.

******

Chaka,
Your most recent comment obviously has Jose flummoxed because he wipes his hand across his sweaty brow and squints at you.

“Of course boat goes on water, but where are you going? Brazil is a big place.”, Jose laughs as he extends his arms out to his sides.

******

Joey and Alex,
Joey, you track the group of men through town and not too surprisingly watch them head into a dilapidated wooden building. The whole time you followed them you could pick up snippets of them talking about girls and booze and relaxing.
A few dirty men sit outside the building on barrels smoking and chatting in spanish. Nothing of importance just local gossip and the weather.
Inside it sounds much more raucous. Lots of voices talking over one another and somewhere a guitar plays.

You nearly jump out of your shoes when Alex taps you on the shoulder.

Alex, unbeknownst to even Joey you too have been hot on the heels of these men and you also recognize the building. It’s the very same cantina that the pilot took to after landing in Belem.

OOC: Ok so you’re sort of split a bit. We have Theo, Doc, and Chaka looking into acquiring the boatman’s service while Alex and Joey tail the suspicious men that recently docked.

What do you do?
 

(BlackGoblin)

Registered User
Validated User
Realization and understanding soon creep into the edges of Chaka's mind and he too begins to laugh. "Sorry" Chaka lowers his head blushing "English not my first language" he finishes with a grin. "South, we go south to Pinobe on water."
There are so many languages and so many people in this new world. It never ceases to amaze Chaka just how complex life in a modern world can be, even in a world mixed on the outskirts of a jungle like this village seems to be. It has less than New York, but more than he had growing up.
Chaka reaches into his satchel and pulls out a handful of grubs, popping a couple into his mouth. Everyone likes food, whenever he and his ape brethren had a misunderstanding or miscommunication, they shared grubs together or fruit. Not wanting to seem rude he holds out his hand with the grubs and offers them to Jose first then those around him and smiles chomping heartily.
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
Chaka, Theo, and Doc Gold,
Jose frowns and shakes a hand at you Chaka, “Ah, no thank you.”

He looks past Chaka and says to Theo and Doc, “The boy. He is with you yeah? He says you seek transport to Pinobe Village? I can take you there. I was just now loading my boat with supplies brought in earlier today. I travel south and deliver goods and medical help to the villages along the river.”

Looking around you can see that Jose has nearly completed the task of loading his boat already. There remains a few crates that he was working on when Chaka approached him, next to those rests his rifle.

Alex and Joey,
The two of you stand outside the cantina and when the leader of the gang of boatmen you’ve been following enter the place you hear a number of voices call out, “Manny!”

There’s a lot of spanish and what you recognize as Portuguese being spoken from within.

******

OOC: What is everyone doing?

We know that together you’ve made the Wealth test and will be able to secure the boat with Jose driving and taking you to pinobe. He’s just about ready to go, maybe another 15 to 20 minutes.
Do Doc Gold orTheo want to interact here with Jose or would you all want to gather up at the cantina?
Or, if Joey and Alex choose not to do anything further with the gruff and surly looking guys that they were following we can cut straight away to the next scene.

Fee free to discuss that in OOC.
 

(BlackGoblin)

Registered User
Validated User
Shrugging and putting the rest of the grubs back into his satchel, Chaka helps Jose finish loading the rest of the crates and medical supplies into his boat.
 

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Theo

Theo points at the rifle. "Do you have trouble on the river often?"
 

RocknRollFTW

Registered User
Validated User
"Wait back here, Joey. I'm gonna find out what those men want." After quietly speaking to the boy, Alex stands upright and quietly slips through the door. Spotting the men before they can see him, Alex tips his hat low to shadow his face, then quickly finds himself a table where he can listen in on what the men are doing.
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
Theo, Chaka, and Doc Gold,
Jose smiles a toothy smile at your question Theo.
“Sim, Yah, haha. Some of the indigenous peoples are none to friendly. But only some, a shot into the jungle to scare them off. Other times it is the wildlife.
But other times still, it is the river pirates....”

Jose says this with that same big smile as if it is what it is, just another hazard of the job.

******

Alex,
These men don’t notice you as you take up a seat nearby. No one does really, they’re all far to interested to talk with this Manny fellow. He might not be the biggest of his crew of toughs but he definitely looks to be the meanest.

He and three others sit down together while two more of the crew gather a round of drinks. They look comfortable and at home in this rowdy place. You can see they’re armed, pistols and knives.

It doesn’t take long to get the info you were looking for and they are none too quiet about either.
They plan to surprise and overtake Jose on the river. They’ve been planning this for some time but today is the day they’ll be acting on it. They laugh and jeer and cheer and clink their bottles and glasses as they kick back their drinks and talk about the money they’ll make from selling his boat and cargo.

You reckon they’ll be having a markedly more difficult time of it than they expected.

OOC: RocknRoll I rolled your Notice awhile. It was a success so you pick up on the above and you aren’t noticed.
http://orokos.com/roll/708998: 2#1d6o6 3 5

Alex, What do you do? Do you do something here and now or gather up Joey and return to the docks with this info?
 
Last edited:

(BlackGoblin)

Registered User
Validated User
Looking around the edge of the River, Chaka picks up several good throwing stones and puts them in his satchel(about a dozen). He also looks for a good walking stick to take on the boat. These are essential items to have on a river. In Chaka's mind.
 
Top Bottom