[SWADE] IC - The Eye of Kilquato

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
#51
Alex and Joey return to the docks as the last of the crates are hauled aboard Jose’s boat.

Alex brings with him information of Manny’s plans to attack Jose on the river and steal is boat and supplies.

Jose smacks the side of his boat, “I knew he was up to something. I have seen him and his friends lingering and making comments.”, he looks your group over, “I am one man against a bully of the area. This is my livelihood, would you help me? In return the trip is on me.”

Jose offers back the money you paid to him and meets each of your eyes with his own. He is brave but obviously terrified at the prospect of being attacked by Manny and his goons.
 

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
#52
Theo

"Jose, we can't destroy them. But we can probably disable their boat, and buy you at least one safe trip. Keep the money - we have a stake in staying away from river pirates the same way you do. Somebody go pour sugar in their gas tank or something. Joey, keep a lookout for them. The rest of us should get our stuff loaded up. A head start for us is as good as a hole in the hull for them.
 

(BlackGoblin)

Registered User
Validated User
#53
Listening to the report from Alex and then the reply from Jose, Chaka soon starts to realize what's going on. Setting his belongings in the boat and then hefting his spear, a protective instinct starts to settle in Chaka's heart. Walking over to Jose, Chaka looks him in the eye and says “I have fought lion, I have fought ape and I have fought man. My spear will protect us.” Chaka then sits in the boat waiting for the others.
 

JohnStargazer

Registered User
Validated User
#54
Joey Howe
Bennies:
6
W0/F0

Theo

"Jose, we can't destroy them. But we can probably disable their boat, and buy you at least one safe trip. Keep the money - we have a stake in staying away from river pirates the same way you do. Somebody go pour sugar in their gas tank or something. Joey, keep a lookout for them. The rest of us should get our stuff loaded up. A head start for us is as good as a hole in the hull for them.
"Keep a lookout? C'mon gramps, you should know better than that." Joey gives Theo a look while shaking his head.

"If we need people to sneak around, the best thing to do is to give them cover, to make sure people have something better to watch than some boring old boat."

So saying, Joey grabs a hat from the packed gear, marches over to a relatively open spot with lots of people around, and drops it to the ground with a dramatic flourish.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, my friends and I have an emergency, a desperate need for currency, with all known sense of urgency!"

And so with that, assuming the most adorable appearance his ten year old frame is capable of, he begins to sing the Good Ship Lollipop while doing a fairly well rehearsed dance routine.

OOC: Performance Roll: 1d6o6 5 1d6o6 5 Going to provide support to whatever stealth rolls are made, distracting any watchers with the performance.
 

RocknRollFTW

Registered User
Validated User
#55
Alex is on the same level as Chaka in this case. He wants some action and now that the group knows what's going to happen, he's confident that they can handle these two-bit thugs. Just as he's about to make his case to the group, however, Joey begins his distraction. Alex maybe a stubborn sort, but he's not so stubborn as to waste the boy's opportunity.

Soon enough he stands at the dock's edge, looking down at the water below, gauging the depths and what he might have to look out for. A large canister of water is strapped to his back. When Alex is confident that the guards on the boat are all distracted, he drops down into the water, which goes up to his waist at this point in the river, allowing him to wade through it to the boat fill of adversaries ahead.

Wading up to the starboard side of the boat, opposite of the docks, Alex looks up, inspecting the side he's on. Holes and slashes, whether from past battles or simple realities of boat maintenance out here, jut out from the metal boat's hull, providing hand holds for Alex to climb up the side of the ship. He does so, cautious that he does not cut himself on any sharp pieces, and soon enough reaches the top of the ship. When no guards are looking his way, he climbs quietly over the side of the railing, and his finally on the ship. "Now just need to find the engine..."

OOC: Stealth Roll: 1d6o6 2
Wild Die: 1d6o6 3
Ouch. Spending a Bennie to Reroll this.
Stealth Reroll: 1d6o6 1
Wild Die Reroll: 1d6o6 1
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
#56
Alex,
You’ve got this. Joey is over there making a real fool of himself but the kid means well and boy if he wasn’t good at what he was doing!

You slip into the water silently and make your way over to the pirates’ boat. The two guards lean back and laugh at each other while they watch Joey. They each have a rifle across their laps.

You got this.

That is until one of the big galoots smacks his buddy and suddenly stands up with an empty beer bottle in hand.

You gotta be kidding... up for a refill as you’re trying to give their fuel tank the same...

The sailor looks at you dumbfounded before he says in Spanish, “Get Manny!”

Joey,
You’re dancing and singing and people are clapping and laughing and then you’re on the ground with some dirt in your mouth.

Dazed you look around to see a big guy hoofing it towards the cantina... it’s one of the boat guards!

Looking back to the boat you see the other guard swinging a bottle wildly at Alex.

Theo, Chaka, and Doc Gold,
Your attention is split between Joey and Alex when there’s a shout from the boat and one of the guards stands and runs into the city bowling Joey over.
Some of the onlookers begin to run in the same direction while others just look confused.

One thing’s for sure, Alex is in a fight and if Manny comes back with his goons and local friends, you’ll all be in one too.

Jose calls, “There is no time, we need to hurry while we can!”
He waves you to get on his boat and then he rushes into the driver’s cabin.

******

Meanwhile,
Alex,
The big goon smiles before lunging forward swing that glass bottle a number of times in crossing downward strokes at you and landing a hard blow across your head shattering the bottle into a cloud of glittery glass dust!

OOC: River Pirate 1 - Wild Attack vs Alex: http://orokos.com/roll/712207: 1d8o8 4 1d6o6 8 1d8o8+1d4o4 14
It’s a hit, no raise.
Damage = Shaken and a Wound!

If you choose to soak and succeed you will also clear Shaken. Otherwise you’ll need to succeed on a Spirit at -1.

Everyone is up!

There is one pirate on the boat with Alex (you’d need a 3 on the running Die to get there this round) and one pirate running into town to alert Manny while Jose, your boat driver, is urging you to leave quickly.

What do you all do?

Current Bennies and Wounds
Spoiler: Show

Alex 2 bennies, 1 Wound
Chaka 4 bennies, 0 Wounds
Doc Gold 3 bennies, 0 Wound
Joey 6 bennies, 0 Wounds
Theo 4 bennies, 0 Wounds, 15 pp
 

JohnStargazer

Registered User
Validated User
#57
Joey Howe
Bennies:
6
W0/F0

Scrambling back to his feet, Joey slips his sling out of his pocket as the man, or Manny as the case may be, runs towards the cantina, and hurls a single stone with remarkable accuracy at him. "Take that, ya big galoot!"

Then, heedless of the effect of his attack on the man, Joey hurries over to the boat, ready to clamber aboard.

OOC: Let's see if I'm doing this right...
Athletics Roll: 1d6o6 2 1d6o6 10
Sling Damage: 1d6o6+1d4o4 5 Sling Damage: 1d6o6 3 (Forgot to add the bonus d6 from the raise) Total is 8.
 

(BlackGoblin)

Registered User
Validated User
#58
Seeing Alex take the blow from the pirate was all it took before Chaka was on his feet. Exploding off the boat with red in his eyes, Chaka runs swift as the wind to protect his friend, attacking with with a frenzied speed!


OOC: run roll Running: 1d6 6

Frenzy 1st attack: 1st attack: 1d8o8 5 1d6o6 3

1st attack DMG: Damage: 1d8o8 7 1d6o6 5

2nd attack: 2nd attack: 1d8o8 6 1d6o6 5

2nd attack DMG: 2nd attack damage: 1d8o8 5 1d6o6 5
 

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
#59
Theo

Theo realizes he has effectively nothing to contribute to a situation at this range, and jumps in the boat. He proceeds to heckle the pirate running for Manny. "Oh, big man, knocking over a child! Are you in a hurry to go rob your grandmother? Maybe you have some puppies you need to go kick? Oh, hey, I'm an old man, maybe you'd be brave enough to try that on me!"

OOC:
I'm trying to distract this guy and keep him from going to get Manny. Would the penalty from Distract subtract from a Running roll? If not, maybe it'd be better to make him Vulnerable and Joey might be able to trip him or something.


1d8o8: 6 [1d8o8=6]
1d6o6: 1 [1d6o6=1]
 
Last edited:

Rowenn552

Registered User
Validated User
#60
Black Goblin - Let’s break down the mechanics: you’re taking a -2 from the Multi action penalty of Running then Attacking.
The pirate is Vulnerable though from Wild Attacking giving you a +2 to hit him so those two modifiers cancel each other out.
You also are getting a +1 to Fighting from a gang-up bonus from Alex.

Both of your attacks hit but the first one is enough to drop this goon.

Two questions: Is that with the pointy end of the spear or the blunt end? What does it look like when you take this guy out?
(( I’m not going to say that you can’t kill your enemies but keep in mind the tone is pulpy so no gratuitous violence. Not that that bothers me but I don’t think it would make the editor’s cut in the magazine if you catch my drift :p ))

Theo - These guys are none too smart and your words cause the running man to turn for a moment and snarl at you.
http://orokos.com/roll/712853: 1d4o4 3
You almost got a Raise but it is enough to cause him to become Vulnerable and just in time to be...
(( Answering your Mechanics related question Wiz. Yeah if Theo would’ve needed to take the Run action to get closer then any other action he’d have taken would’ve suffered a -2 from the multi-action penalty.
Sometimes the MAP can feel weird because you need to determine all of the actions for the round before actually making any rolls. That way you know what penalty to apply when it’s time to toss the dice. I think in this case your words carry to the man and no additionally running to catch up is required. ))

Joey - ... hit by a stone in the face! Your shot is true as the stone rebounds off of the river pirate’s nose with a loud *crack!*. He looks shaken by the hit but you don’t hang around long enough to see if he goes down from it.

Alex - The pirate that just smashed you with a bottle gets a dazed look on his face. As he slumps to the ground Chaka is revealed holding his spear like a bat.

Too far to reach (in melee combat) this round is the other pirate. He’s down the street and holding his face; he looks a little dazed. All around people watch the action while others gather their children and still others move quickly away.

Down the dock Jose calls for you guys to board his boat and get out of there. If you make for the engine you can’t be sure how much time you have before Manny will return and your head really smarts.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom