• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Sword & Planet rpgs?

legopaidi

Validated User
Are there any games or even homebrews / system conversions for this particular genre?

jachilli

Gladius Dei
Are there any games or even homebrews / system conversions for this particular genre?
It might not be the answer you're after, but D&D 4e handles this genre with practically nil in the way of changes. Just say a blaster or a blunderbuss equals a crossbow, change a bit of set dressing, and you're good to go.

Regards,
Justin

samwise7

Tim Harper - RPG Junkie
Validated User
I think BRP could handle Sword & Planet well, especially if you pick up some of the extra PDFs for the system.

I've often thought about making a fantasy setting, where mystical gates connect nearby planets, and moons. I think it would be cool to play in a solar system where each planet was unique, and still fantasy in genre.

Thalaba

Validated User
I think BRP could handle Sword & Planet well
Yes, in fact one is in the works for BPR right now by Jason Durall. The project is currently known as 'Interplanetary'.

Also: Dictionary of Mu - an evocative setting for Sorcerer.

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
What about original games?
I need setting inspiration crunch!
There aren't many, but cool choices include Sky Realms of Jorune, GURPS: Planet of Adventure, Adamant Entertainment's Mars RPG, & (to a degree) Space: 1889. It just occurred to me that you could use Star Wars to run a really nifty S&P campaign, just restrict everyone to a single planet that's been cut off due to isolation & loss of star travel. Add in aging droids, relic tech of various sorts, various aliens, and the Force, and you've got a very cool S&P setting.

Top Bottom