• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Taking inspiration from FFG's Star Wars resolution for a different setting, but doing it with normal or Fate dice

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
Thanks for all the thoughts so far!

I was thinking of having a normal roll (a mixed size pool, count successes or oppose TN), then add red Fate dice for boosts and black ones for hindrances. A red + is an "and," giving you a side benefit. A black - is a "but," creating a side problem. Red -s and black +s get ignored, except when a special ability uses them.
My question is if you are going to ignore the opposing sign on the other die, why not just use a single fate die and interpret the + as "And" & - as "But?" It seems like that would be simpler and net the same results. Is there some facet of your approach that makes the die's color or inclusion requisite?

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My question is if you are going to ignore the opposing sign on the other die, why not just use a single fate die and interpret the + as "And" & - as "But?" It seems like that would be simpler and net the same results. Is there some facet of your approach that makes the die's color or inclusion requisite?
You'd be adding varying numbers of reds and blacks based on circumstances, as you do in FFG's system.

Fatespinner

Validated User
Don't Rest Your Head does something similar. The player and the GM roll a number of d6. 1-3 is a success. The side with the most successes wins the conflict, however you also look which dice color has the higher number (there are three colors for the player and one for the GM). Based on the dominating dice color different effects apply. This is really interessting. One thing that I don't like so much is that one color is always dominating, there is never the situation where no color is dominating.

BrianBloodaxe

Validated User
Remember that conventional dice can be read in multiple ways at the same time. For example you could have dice pools built from d6s for your stat and bonuses, d8s for your training, d4s for penalties. If your dice roll high enough to beat the target number you pass, but if you roll a pair of 1s or 2s you get a complication. Pairs of 4s, 5s or 6s get you an advantage. Tripples get you a critical or a fumble.

This would need some fiddling though. Currently more dice=more chance of a fumble, so you might need a rule where you can discard a high dice to also discard a low dice. Getting the balance right would be tricky but I'm sure that there will be a way to do it.

Daz Florp Lebam

Grand Poobah
Validated User
Subscribed! I find FFG's SW dice mechanics conceptual strong for SW, but overwrought, so I'm trying to figure out how to streamline it. I actually just finished a draft of a blog post on this very subject.

LuckyNumberFour

Validated User
The neat thing about using dicepool systems is you can create complication/bonus results without having to change anything but the colors. For example, you could do what folks have said with just d10s or d6es. Using a d6 dicepool for example: if you roll a 1 or a 2 on a color coded Fault Die, you get a complication. If you roll a 5 or 6 on a Boost Die, you get a boost. Now, depending on what you want the probability of complications or boosts to be, you can fiddle with the trigger number or the amount of funny dice you hand out.

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
My insane (largely because it would take too much work for me to implement) idea for an Exalted homebrew is to use d10s which are interpreted differently to represent various things which would be combined in differing ways to constitute one's dice pool for any given roll. Each type of die would allow for different results much like the various FFG systems use. Different dice (all d10s) would represent:

charms, weapons/equipment, followers, etc.

So craft charms could allow a crafter to add equipment dice to his pool, whereas bureaucracy charms could allow one to add follower dice to her pool as she better leverages the bureaucratic systems in play, etc.

Other charms could remove dice from opponents pools, or upgrade equipment dice to artifact dice, etc. Each die type would be a different color for ease of play, allowing someone to, at a glance, recognize where boons/complications are coming from, and whether one could manipulate the results on her or her opponent's dice using her charms, etc. A crafter would have a much easier time manipulating equipment dice for instance.

As with most (other than the very rules light examples) Exalted homebrews, however, the amount of work entailed in bringing it to fruition is quite prohibitive.

trechriron

RPG Enthusiast
Validated User
[posted on a similar thread on another site...]

Here's my entry into the possible standard dice replacement. Not fully thought out on odds, just a spitball/idea.

Need: 15d6; 3 dice of one color (the Chance Roll). 6 positive dice of a different color (preferably light). 6 negative dice of yet another color (preferably dark). (yes, 3 different colors of D6's)

Determine base difficulty. This sets the number of positive or negative dice initially added to the pool. (from adding 1 - 3 negative or positive dice)

• Add a positive die to the "pool" for any bonus.
  • Add a negative die to the "pool" for any penalties.

Roll all dice together in a pool.

Chance Roll:
Set aside chance roll and note result (add 3d6 together).

Attribute Bonus and Skill Ranks add/subtract from "chance" roll. These are the only numbers that impact the actual result of the chance roll.

First, cancel each positive die with a negative die. You will be left with either one or more of one die type. If one or more positive dice are left over, add the result to the chance roll. If one or more negative dice are left over, subtract the result from the chance roll.

TN is always 13 (at or above).

• The higher you roll over 13, the better the success.
  • The lower you roll below 13, the worse the failure.

Advantage or Threat:

• Rolling doubles on chance roll that matches a negative die = Threat for each negative die that matches.
  • Rolling doubles on chance roll that matches a positive die = Advantage for each positive die that matches.

Threat cancels out Advantage (or vice versa) so you end up with only Threat or Advantage. These impact the situation separately from the success/failure of the chance roll. Spend A/T on bonus/penalty dice going forward or buy "special effects".

Despair and/or Triumph:

• Rolling triples on chance roll that matches a negative die = Despair
  • Rolling triples on chance roll that matches a positive die = Triumph

These impact the situation separately from the success/failure of the chance roll. Despair and Triumph do not cancel each other out. The results should be determined by current circumstances or spent on "special events". You can have both Triumph and Despair in the same roll.

Top Bottom