Task Resolution mechanic musing

Malidar

Validated User
Tossing around some ideas over coffee the other day.

Which would you prefer a single die type system or multiple die type?
Adding up all the numbers or looking for a specific number?

What we have come up with is
Skill die + Skill die + Career die + Gear die + Talent die = Pool

Then we waffled on if we roll than add all up to equal the 'skill roll' or to have target number based upon ranks in XYZ.

Knaight

Validated User
I definitely don't want to add five dice together for every roll. I can't say I'm particularly fond of selecting five different dice for every roll either, though if some of them don't vary much it's fine.

CWalck93

Doom Priest of Peace and Happiness
Validated User
I have noticed that adding up a lot of dice is not something gamers are usually keen to. At least as far as I have experienced.

Good option is two to three dice if you're adding things up, more dice if you're doing a success count system. But in my experience really big pools in any format is just not great ideas. But others will think differently and love rolling lots of dice.

Malidar

Validated User
True.

In the current musings, we were going with the idea of X number being the starting point then we subtract the two skills ranks to get the number to equal or beat for successes.

However if we go with a single die type system we are mulling over having it be half skill rank or similar suchness

Kneller

Validated User
I usually try to keep it as simple and fast as possible. I have a strong stats brain (i.e. I picked up the step die probability quirk in SW within about an hour of play), but in terms of actual play, probability division any more specific than definitely, most likely, better than average, 50/50, less than average, most likely not, and definitely not is superfluous in my book. Generally speaking, I try to only use enough randomness to keep things interesting. Based on what you proposed, every thing (gear, skill, etc.) having a die is going to to make these assorted elements variable and play pretty swingy. It also makes it harder for a GM to develop adventures when players' rolls could be all over the place.

Malidar

Validated User
It's not always going to be Career related.
Your not always going to have Gear helpful.
Your not always going to have a Talent helpful.

Those were thought of as ways to make some tasks easier.
think of it like Driving.
Most people can drive a car. However, some do it as a career with specific gear and are naturally talented to do it better.

Kneller

Validated User
So what's the different between this and just having skill/career/etc. modifiers as constants (+1, +2, etc.)?

Kneller

Validated User
Fair enough. While it seems like all these dice (especially if you go step die) may provide more variety, it's a little misleading. Basically, the more dice you roll (if you're thinking roll and add), the higher your range, but the stronger your central tendency. In short, if you add up the number of faces on the dice being rolled, once a roller is ahead by around 2-4 faces, that roller has an extremely strong advantage. Pool systems have the same problem. Take Shadowrun. You might be rolling between 10-20 dice, but for any roll, you're 90% likely to roll X successes, give or take about 2. Rolling a bucket of dice seems pretty pointless in the face of these odds.

But, people are going to do what people are going to do. I've played with players/GM that just get locked into certain mechanics, and some who refuse certain mechanics. In regards to your original question, I generally can do anything I want to do (and I play some crunchy games) with one or two d6s. But that's just my preference.

kenco

Validated User
I definitely don't want to add five dice together for every roll. I can't say I'm particularly fond of selecting five different dice for every roll either, though if some of them don't vary much it's fine.
Agreed. I generally prefer systems with a small, fixed pool.

However, looking for numbers is easier than adding, especially for larger dice pools and especially if you use d6s marked with pips rather than arabic numerals. I find arabic numerals hard to identify on dice and strongly prefer pips. Coloured faces are also very easy to read, if you're willing to go to custom dice (which I don't like doing, for accessibility reasons). So my personal preference is for single die type systems using d6s with pips; having said that, I appreciate that using different die sizes does offer advantages you can't easily get using d6s only.

Top Bottom