Task Resolution mechanic musing

Second Variety

Validated User
Not a fan of adding so many dice. As mentioned, the more die you roll and add the lower the odds from the mean, not a good or bad thing just something to keep in mind.

I’d suggest working out the odds and seeing if the chance of success on your target numbers are what you want.

I do like different die types in these kinds of approaches. Adds some flavor for me especially around gear.

Malidar

Validated User
I've played a lot of Earthdawn, adding up dice totals hasn't been an issue for me.

Plus is a roll over better than a roll under system?

The different die type(d4,d6,d8,d10,d12) idea is to show character growth(gear quality).
We still got a ways to go.

Kneller

Validated User
I loved Earthdawn when I found it. I was getting bored with fantasy at the time, but Earthdawn was refreshing. Fixed HP, non-Vancian magic, incredible lore. And the tie in with Shadowrun was just gravy. Didn't like the dice though. The skips from d12 to d20 were especially awkward. I think it would be hard to do something serviceable with step dice that hasn't been done by Cortex or SW.

There's really not much difference between roll over and roll under. They both work out pretty much the same mathematically. Roll over is a little more open ended, especially if you use exploding dice (ala SW).

Malidar

Validated User
Wow dude, your words of encouragement have been overwhelming.

Since you have such a strong stats brain;
What can a system do that is Roll Over with a single die mechanic versus a multiple die mechanic and how does that compare to a Roll Under?

What can a system do that is Roll Under with a single die mechanic versus a multiple die mechanic and how does that compare to a Roll Over?

Kneller

Validated User
Mathematically, they work exactly the same. My favorite of the lot has always been a blackjack roll under. It's basically the same as a regular roll under, but you get the "crit" (if you have that mechanic) if you roll the target number exactly.

Single versus multiple dice, on the other hand, have a world of differences. If you're talking a roll an add, the more dice you roll, the stronger your central tendency. That means that while you might have a larger range of results with which to work, the actual results you get in practice are going to cluster more around the average and so you can utilize that range as easily as you can with a linear mechanic. It also causes a +1 to have a strongly variable effect. For example, let's say we're looking at a 3d6 roll under (ala GURPS). Player A needs a 4 or under to success, Player B needs a 10 or under. With a +1 bonus to the target number, Player A's chances only increase by less than 2%, while Player B gets a 12.5% increase. I mean, if that's what you are going for, that's what you are going for.

I would recommend 1940 - England Invaded for a read. No, I'm not Simon Washbourne, but I think it's probably the best roll under system I've ever seen.

I'd also strongly suggest getting acquainted with Any Dice. It was pretty helpful to me when I started out. It gives you a good visual of how dice behave.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do a step die system, but I would recommend studying Earthdawn, Cortex, and SW and then figuring out what you can do better. The most important thing about dice systems is to understand if you're doing what you're doing. A lot of people seem to get really hung up on specific systems or gimmicks that don't really do what they want the game to do (or assert the game can do), but they also don't see the math of why it doesn't work.

Malidar

Validated User
You do remember this thread wasn't about the maths, but about preferences?

A game system based around experience and/or raw ability. i.e. the savvy veteran vs the punk talented kid.

Kneller

Validated User
But my preferences are based entirely on the maths. And you did ask me about the maths as the conversation progressed. At the end of the day, the maths define the physics of the in-game universe. Your resolution mechanic is your gravity, your thermodynamics, your string theory. As much as I think Fudge dice are cool, I would never play with a 4dF game because even though the Ladder has a range of 11, My result will be +/-1 of my skill level almost 65% of the time, and +/-2 about 90% of the time. One either has to pretty much put all difficulties within a very limited range of the character skill level or the roll is a rather uninteresting (IMO) long shot. If I'm rolling the dice, I want it to matter, every time, or it's not worth the bother.

A game system based around experience and/or raw ability. i.e. the savvy veteran vs the punk talented kid.
I'm not sure what this means and it doesn't really communicate anything.

Malidar

Validated User
But my preferences are based entirely on the maths. And you did ask me about the maths as the conversation progressed. At the end of the day, the maths define the physics of the in-game universe. Your resolution mechanic is your gravity, your thermodynamics, your string theory. As much as I think Fudge dice are cool, I would never play with a 4dF game because even though the Ladder has a range of 11, My result will be +/-1 of my skill level almost 65% of the time, and +/-2 about 90% of the time. One either has to pretty much put all difficulties within a very limited range of the character skill level or the roll is a rather uninteresting (IMO) long shot. If I'm rolling the dice, I want it to matter, every time, or it's not worth the bother.
I guess you failed to see the sarcasm?
I'm not sure what this means and it doesn't really communicate anything.
Think about it. How does that play out in say, Shadowrun.
Veteran: 9 skill + 3 stat + 2 gear
Talented kid: 3 skill + 7 stat + 4 gear
Both equal 14 dice.
Shadowrun has unfortunately(IMO) never been about the Grizzled Vet. They were supposedly going to be doing that in 5e, but flinched and well..
Then we waffled on if we roll than add all up to equal the 'skill roll' or to have target number based upon ranks in XYZ.
The underlined part of the first post.

Malidar

Validated User
It sounds like you're looking for validation and not input. Good luck with your game.
Care to show me where this the OP
Tossing around some ideas over coffee the other day.

Which would you prefer a single die type system or multiple die type?
Adding up all the numbers or looking for a specific number?

What we have come up with is
Skill die + Skill die + Career die + Gear die + Talent die = Pool

Then we waffled on if we roll than add all up to equal the 'skill roll' or to have target number based upon ranks in XYZ.
is somehow is looking for validation?

Top Bottom