Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Savage Worlds Adventure Edition)

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
One of the first games besides AD&D I played as a youngster was Palladium's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness which was a hoot. This game was initially released in 1985 before the turtles made their way to television and became the huge worldwide franchise we know and love today so it was a bit more gritty. I plan on setting the campaign in the future with an elderly Raphael as the PCs adoptive father and sensei. Raph rescued the PCs from and has trained them to go after Alchemex which has conducted cruel experiments on mutants.

I'm using the latest edition of Savage Worlds which was just Kickstarted recently, I plan on using the comics as my primary source material but after thirty years it'll be impossible to keep the cartoons from creeping in, and I'm also using Palladium's TMNT as an influence. (Say what you want about Palladium's rules I think they did a pretty good just with the creation of mutants in TMNT.)

Setting Rules
  • All PCs are Mutants
  • All PCs start with the Edge Martial Artists regardless of whether they qualify for it.
  • Wound Cap: Characters can never suffer more than 4 wounds in a single blow.
Mutant: They receive a -2 penalty to Persuasion rolls against all non-mutants, save for those who are not concerned about their mutant status, they have no rights and authorities will attempt to apprehend them whenever possible, and they cannot wear "off the rack" clothing or armor but it can be fitted to them at twice the cost.

The players will build their mutants using the Race Creation rules in SW. I'm not allowing any Arcane Backgrounds for them even though it exists in the setting. I'm also adding some unique mutant advantages/disadvantages.

2 Full Human Looks (1): The species appears to be fully human by all superficial examination. It would take a full medical exam to reveal that this species was not a human.

1 Partial Human Looks (1): While the character doesn't actually appear human, his or her bodily proportions enable them to purchase clothing and armor off the rack. They pay normal prices for such things.

-2 Quadruped Movement (1): If holding anything in their hands/arms, this species may only move at half pace and cannot run.

I'm not planning on coming up with an exhaustive list of ninja weapons. I'll just use the stats for a fail for nunchaku and for something like a sai I'll just use dagger damage and give an attacker a bonus to their damage when it comes to disarming attacks.

Any ideas for additional mutant advantages or disadvantages, fun ninja weapons, or adventure ideas?

FirstWave

Validated User
Good ideas!

I don't have the new Savage Worlds book. You definitely to removed the unarmed defender penalty. Also, they are supposed to be coming out with a martial arts book. They should make an official TMNT SW.

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
Mutant: They receive a -2 penalty to Persuasion rolls against all non-mutants, save for those who are not concerned about their mutant status, they have no rights and authorities will attempt to apprehend them whenever possible, and they cannot wear "off the rack" clothing or armor but it can be fitted to them at twice the cost.

2 Full Human Looks (1): The species appears to be fully human by all superficial examination. It would take a full medical exam to reveal that this species was not a human.

1 Partial Human Looks (1): While the character doesn't actually appear human, his or her bodily proportions enable them to purchase clothing and armor off the rack. They pay normal prices for such things.
How do the Full Looks interact with the Mutant disadvantage? Seems like looking fully human would negate the mutant penalty unless the Persuasion subject knew.

You should definitely do turtles as an example species for reference. A question there is "What does the shell do?" Hardy? Some sort of natural Armor?

Adventure-wise, are mutants known to the public, or still an underground (ho ho) thing? There could be a mutant rights movement that Alchemax would go after, perhaps they're running an underground railroad to get mutants out of their reach. That'd be an idea way to introduce an April-like human friend who can feed them information. And where do the mutants go? Is there a mysterious place called Sanctuary where mutants can live in peace? Or does a west coast city have a welcoming policy for mutants unlike New York (as Alchemax probably owns the mayor)?

For a cyberpunk theme, consider this. They're researching mutants in the hopes of weaponizing or monetizing them. But Alchemax is a huge company and some other division, like, say, robotics, won't do so well if the mutant project works out, so an executive from that rival division might leak information about shipments and facilities important to the mutant division so they can wreck them. Said exec might meet "in person" with them via a telepresence-operated robot as a cut-out.

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm not planning on coming up with an exhaustive list of ninja weapons. I'll just use the stats for a fail for nunchaku and for something like a sai I'll just use dagger damage and give an attacker a bonus to their damage when it comes to disarming attacks.
Depends if you want an actual sai or Elektar's sai (which most probably were the inspiration fro Ralph's sai).
Actual sai were blunt, not pointed.
Kusari-gama are simply chain+sickle. I think I had one a SW L5R game i played in.
Remember that shurikens are means of distraction and/or delivering poison (they're not killing weapons).
Shuo can be replicated by simple claws rules.

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
How do the Full Looks interact with the Mutant disadvantage? Seems like looking fully human would negate the mutant penalty unless the Persuasion subject knew.
Full Human Looks isn't a regular Hindrance it's part of the advantages/disadvantages you can use to build races with in Savage Worlds. In this case FHL pretty much negates the disadvantages of being a mutant because you look like a human to the outside world but it still allows you to create your own mutant race. I should probably add a few more restrictions such as not having a tail, extra limbs, armor plating, or anything else that quite clearly marks you as not human.

You should definitely do turtles as an example species for reference. A question there is "What does the shell do?" Hardy? Some sort of natural Armor?
Just playing around making Raphael I gave his turtle species the following:
  • Armor +2 (His shell)
  • Parry +1
  • Agility +1 step
You'll note that we don't normally think of turtles having fast reflexes and the ability to parry attacks but I figure this is a mutant and who knows what the mutagen might do to a creature? If I wanted to make a mutant mole I could give him bad eyesight to make him mole like if I wanted.

Adventure-wise, are mutants known to the public, or still an underground (ho ho) thing? There could be a mutant rights movement that Alchemax would go after, perhaps they're running an underground railroad to get mutants out of their reach.
Mutants are known to exist and intelligent ones are a source of controversy. There are enough humans who are sympathetic and unwilling to turn them in to the authorities to give the PCs a reason not to hate all humans. I'm thinking along the lines you're thinking in regards to an underground railroad of sorts but I'm not sure about the scope at this point or even how many intelligent mutants there are.

For a cyberpunk theme, consider this. They're researching mutants in the hopes of weaponizing or monetizing them. But Alchemax is a huge company and some other division, like, say, robotics, won't do so well if the mutant project works out, so an executive from that rival division might leak information about shipments and facilities important to the mutant division so they can wreck them. Said exec might meet "in person" with them via a telepresence-operated robot as a cut-out.
I hadn't considered that. An "ally" within Alchemex who is helping them because he wants to show those assholes in the biodivision that robotics are the future.

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
I also need something to use for bennies. I have six players so I'll need roughly thirty tokens. I found some erasers shaped like pizza slices that I could get for about $15 and that's currently my first choice. Does anyone have an other suggestions for bennies?

Coyote's Own said:
Depends if you want an actual sai or Elektar's sai (which most probably were the inspiration fro Ralph's sai). Actual sai were blunt, not pointed.
I'm assuming the PC would sharpen theirs like Raphael did. But if they want them blunt then I'd still have them do the same damage it's just blunt. Savage Worlds isn't an overly complicated game.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
TMNT is one of my favorite franchises, and it's something I keep coming back to again and again. The Palladium TMNT RPG was one of the first games I was ever exposed to, and it's the reason that I got as interested in gaming as I did back then. The only solid commentary I have here is that you're keeping it simple, and I appreciate that in design work.

Lemme try my hand at this mutant type creating...

Octopus
* Additional Action (3): tentacles
* Aquatic (2): can survive in water or out of it
* Infravision (1): octopus eyes!
* Mutant (-3): obvs.
* Reduced Pace (-1): a little slow on land

Bat
* Attribute Bonus (2): Agility +1
* Bite (1): Str+d4
* Flight (4): Flying Pace 12"
* Low Light Vision (1)
* Mutant (-3)
* Environmental Weakness (-1): bright light
* Hindrance (-2): Delusional (Major: completely batty)

These are both balanced as "normal" PC races. I put Mutant as a -3 trait because it combines a Major Hindrance (Outsider) with half of the Big racial drawback (the part that makes clothing and armor more expensive). What do you think?

Toothsome

Banned
Validated User
Nice. I think you’re right about Mutant being worth more on account of clothing and armor not fitting.

Top Bottom