• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Tell me about] Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
Because energy bolt one, two, and two; and protection one, two, and one make no sense? :p To me those names are so boring and mechanical/sci fi.
To me they're easier to understand. Why do I have to remember what all those different spell names do when I want to pick out mine?
However the reason they didn't do that is most spells can be cast in higher level slots, so you don't need number versions. In 5E you have magic missile 1, 2, 3, etc. Different spells are different, just not upscaled of previous spells levels
Maybe then the problem is there's no summary of what each does on the list.

Also I think I don't like separate spell lists. That's just me, it's not a criticism of 5e.

Nelzie

Validated User
To me they're easier to understand. Why do I have to remember what all those different spell names do when I want to pick out mine?
Most of that is setting flavor. It would be a bit... setting breaking if, in a Middle Ages like world, everyone started using a far out of setting labels to describe everything. In a Modern setting? Sure, go right ahead, rename the spells and have a fun go at it!

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
In a Modern setting? Sure, go right ahead, rename the spells and have a fun go at it!
But I don't want to have to rename the spells, I want them to be easy to understand at a glance out of the book.

Or for there to be fewer of them.

Or something.

It's mostly just a big turn-off to me bothering with half the classes.

EDIT: I'm probably just trying too hard to try and find a reason to like this game when I don't.

Last edited:

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
But I don't want to have to rename the spells, I want them to be easy to understand at a glance out of the book.

Or for there to be fewer of them.

Or something.

It's mostly just a big turn-off to me bothering with half the classes.

EDIT: I'm probably just trying too hard to try and find a reason to like this game when I don't.
Try making a character and reading only the spells you can pick? Jumping at the entire list sounds daunting.

I personally think the spell names give a decent idea of what they do, most of the time, though there are a few bad ones.

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
But what if I want to decide which class to pick based on the spell list? I have to read them all to find out.
The most productive approach might be to tell someone familiar with the system what kind of effects, themes or visuals you enjoy, and have them recommend something to focus on.

Alternatively you could restrict yourself to first level stuff and make a decision based on that.

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
But what if I want to decide which class to pick based on the spell list? I have to read them all to find out.
I think you could get a pretty good sense of a what a class' spellcasting is all about just by reading through their spell list summary. You might have to go read a few of them, like what does "Dissonant Whispers" do, or "Crown of Madness", but overall the spell names are pretty descriptive.

kvltjam

Formerly 'sigma7'
Validated User
Can I instead just admit I'm lazy?

I did look at the Mystic, though. I like it better. Just wish the other casters worked like that.
I really liked the Mystic too, but didn’t I read somewhere that they’re just going to fold it in under the Wizard?

For me, it’s not that I’m lazy (or so I tell myself), it’s that this level of page-flipping breaks me out of the narrative. I know there are ways around this (spell cards or what have you), but so far 5E hasn’t made enough of an impression on me that I clamor to play it at every opportunity, so I haven’t felt inclined to sink time/money into them.

Every time I try to think about looking closer at 5e I remember looking at the spell lists and feeling nothing. They still look like complicated messes of names. If they wanted to simplify things why couldn't they have started with turning the spell lists into "energy bolt I, II, II; protection I, II, I; etc"?

(I know why they didn't, but I really just can't stand that kind of spell list any more.)
I'm with you. I remember when I first read the True20 manual back in the day, and my little mind was blown when I realized they had basically consolidated the entire Invocation spell list into one ability called "Elemental Blast."

Top Bottom