• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Tell me about... Modiphius' 2d20 System!

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
So, I've got the Infinity RPG and going through it. Interesting so far.

But from what I understand, 2d20 is their house system that gets tweaked per-title, much like Margaret Weiss Productions did with Cortex. So, the games become more or less crunchy based on that. What else is there to know? How do you like them? Are particular versions more "generic" (in a good way) than others? What do you feel the overall range is best at?

KingJosh

Validated User
The only version I have is Star Trek Adventures.

It is my understanding, from research I did about the system before purchasing, that each new game has been lighter than the one before it. Not that it couldn’t be made more “crunchy!” But, the trend so far has been streamlining. (I couldn’t tell ya precisely what they’ve changed, though.)

At least one of the people who works on the system posts here on RPG.net pretty regularly. He has mention working on a generic SRD for the system, but I don’t if that’s just for their internal use (or licensing the system out,) or if a proper generic Rulebook is in the works.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
I only have experience with Star Trek. It's fine. I've found in play it's pretty fiddly. It has a lot of popular rpg concepts like invoking Fate aspects, and like two to three different meta currencies depending on how you look at it. I think in 5-10 years the whole system will feel very dated.

The entire system seems like it's copied from all the popular systems and pulled into one jumble that feels very disconnected in play. D20 dice. Dice pools. Special custom D6s. Fate aspect like traits. Character meta currency like Cypher's effort in the form of momentum. Game meta currency like a Fate point/Hero point/Inspiration. It's all over the place, and in play, at least with my group it definitely felt all over the place.

SibKhatru

Validated User
Agreed. I have John Carter and Star Trek. JC is lighter. I am only reading at the moment. My thinking is thst it could be easily tweaked into Savage Worlds or Cortex. I am also pondering the system replacement as Genesys, Vortex/Unisystem, or stuff that brings out results without as much of their bobs and doodads.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I'll need to read through to see if there's any Fate Aspects type thing in Infinity. Sort of like Marvel Heroic's... whatever they're called...? that you can play positively or negatively (1d4, get a plot point)?

I like Cypher's effort and the whole pool aspect in that game, so that's not a bad thing for me.

edit: Genesys is nice in theory, but in practice I really hate the dice. Its kind of jarring to me, which is weird since HERO doesn't bother me one bit, nor does Aristeia which uses custom dice... but that is a board game...

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
I made an active effort in converting Star Trek to Genesys until I found myself rewriting a lot of it to fit the setting, especially with only brief scifi examples in the Corebook and no other scifi releases (yet). Instead I made a Fate Trek, which there are bunches of material for both official scifi Fate settings and lots of fan made Fate Treks. Tweaked the Fate dials how we wanted the game, and ran a successful campaign. Easy peasy.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
I made a sloppy comparison because momentum in 2d20 is similar to spent effort but without the stat pools. Instead momentum are bonus successes generated by rolling well, those momentums are added later by the players to improve future rolls.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Fate doesn't click with me (I'm one of those), but glad it worked for you :)

Our HERO Star Trek game is going great though :)

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
Fate doesn't click with me (I'm one of those), but glad it worked for you :)
I was just point out Fate because Traits in Modiphius' Star Trek work a lot like Fate aspects. Which from what I've gathered around the forums is the part people have trouble grokking from Fate.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I made a sloppy comparison because momentum in 2d20 is similar to spent effort but without the stat pools. Instead momentum are bonus successes generated by rolling well, those momentums are added later by the players to improve future rolls.
I quite like Momentum. I was just mentioning how I liked Cypher for reference since I like that too. I've heard it called "fiddly" as well, but compared to what I normally play...

So, thoughts on John Carter? And there's a Conan as well? What's that Mutant game?

Top Bottom