• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Tell me about The Fantasy Trip

His Dudeness

Banned
So, been reading the webpage of the game in wikipedia, and it seems like a simple duel game. What makes it so good? What can you run with it? Is it suitable for quick one-shots or does it lend itself to a more lengthy style of play?

Seems like a proto-gurps really :p

Also there are two versions of Meele and Wizard: Regular & Advanced.

Does advanced contain the regular content+stuff ? Or it's an add-on?

Last edited:

Lars Dangly

Validated User
Thanks for giving me the chance to spout on my favorite game. The Fantasy Trip is a full blown role playing game that evolved from two beer-and-pretzel table top combat games (Melee and Wizard). It was exceptionally inovative for its time - minimal number of stats, highly tactical combat, but with an astonishingly easy, fast rule system, class-less characters with a wide range of skills and tallents. It is accurate to think of it as a proto-GURPs. There are reasons why you might prefer to actually play TFT. GURPS is a very well engineered game and can be used to run essentially any genre; in these respects you would have to call it better. But TFT is easer to learn, faster to play, and not actually any less satisfying and varied during play (i.e., it 'feels' at least as rich and varied as GURPs if you are playing a fantasy genre campaign). If I had to grab one game on my way out the door of a burning building, this would be it.

Oblivious ignorant elf

And beware the dwarves
Really good shit. It's proto-gurps, but in many ways it's much lighter, light enough to be lighter than Savage Worlds in most way.
Very worthwile.

The 'full' version you want is Melee+Advanced Melee+In the Labyrinth and optionally Wizard+Advanced Wizard. It lets you do everything an rpg should.

Last edited:

Lars Dangly

Validated User
Also there are two versions of Meele and Wizard: Regular & Advanced.

Does advanced contain the regular content+stuff ? Or it's an add-on?
The 'advanced' melee and wizard books are really the combat and magic books of the TFT role playing system (though I suppose you could play a combat game based on them if you really wanted to).

I had a Yahoo site a year or two ago where I distributed a version of TFT with greatly expanded monsters, spells, equpment and talents drawn from other games. I actually thought it was pretty good, but someone who is trying to make money off their own re-marketing of the system sniffed about copyright infringement so I took it down.

His Dudeness

Banned
Nice! Thanks for the info guys!

So, can I do dungeon crawling and monster killing with it right? Or it's too lethal for that purpose?

Fake Edit: Okay, this is way too expensive for my tastes. Any chance that there is a retro clone out there?

Lars Dangly

Validated User
I have a pretty complete retro clone. Send me your e-mail and I 'll send you the first volume; you can get the rest if you like what you see.

It is definitely designed for dungeon crawling. Charcters are more fragile than high-level D&D, but they also have ways of protecting themselves from getting hit/damaged. A skilled player can stay alive through a long, bloody adventure.

Smooth Chimp

I have a pretty complete retro clone. Send me your e-mail and I 'll send you the first volume; you can get the rest if you like what you see.

It is definitely designed for dungeon crawling. Charcters are more fragile than high-level D&D, but they also have ways of protecting themselves from getting hit/damaged. A skilled player can stay alive through a long, bloody adventure.
I believe that Legends of the Ancient World is a clone of the Fantasy Trip. I'm not sure how close it is to the original, but would love to know.

His Dudeness

Banned

Private message sent!

I wonder why Steve Jackson didn't release a new printing of the game. I mean, at least as a module of GURPS. That way it would be available to everyone for a reasonable price.

Chris Henry

Validated User
I wonder why Steve Jackson didn't release a new printing of the game. I mean, at least as a module of GURPS. That way it would be available to everyone for a reasonable price.
I seem to recall that Metagaming was not interested in selling the rights to SJ (out of spite). By the time Meta went under, SJG was more concerned with its own lines than trying to acquire the dead IP.

Lars Dangly

Validated User
Yes, a case of bad timing. Jackson couldnt' keep the copyright, so he re-tooled the whole thing as GURPs. It would not make a lot of business sense to release it now even if he could, since it would compete with its replacement. On the other hand, the few sales of TFT they would get would be to nostalgic old gamers who would buy it for sentimental reasons.

Top Bottom