• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

tell me everything you can of "Skyrealms of Jorune"

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Have a look at this fan made website exploring a Jorune future where they do a mission to return to earth.

http://sholarijames.com/Du/NAnewsweave.html

Sholari James' site also has a lot of information.
Great cats, that's awesome beyond words. I've played around with the idea of running a isho-powered steam-tech industrial Jorune, but space traveling Jorune is far, far cooler. Wow. I'm strongly tempted to start writing up tech and rules for this setting.

I love Jorune, but am generally not very interested in pre-industrial settings. OTOH, it would be IMHO cooler and not all that different in practice as setting with isho-powered mid-19th century-like technology (isho antennas channel Du isho to boil water for steam engines in factories and special tracks incorporating isho-collectors channel Ebba isho to move trains). However, I'd never considered a version of Jorune with futuristic isho-tech.

Gallowglass

Validated User
so it's strange
what the normal pc?
what do they do?
what can they do?
In most, but not all, my games - they were aspiring to become "full Citizens" (Drenn) in Ardoth, so were usually a disparate bunch of people from across Burdoth (the main human nation) with individual reasons for wanting the prestige, status and responsibilities of drenn-ship. Typically, PC's started off living in a particular district of the city and would get co-opted by the local council to undertake a job: since as "tauther" (aspirants to Drenn-ship) they are required to do this sort of voluntary work...

I've also had eccentric Drenn recruit "suitable" tauther for "Big Game Hunts" in the Glounda and East Trinnu Jungle Lands before now... Or there was the collection of street urchins / nascent street gang who messed up in Sydra and got press ganged as caravan guards on an overland caravan to Ardoth... For me, Journ just seemed to write itself: it was both alien enough to be exciting and intriguing and familiar enough for players (once they got beyond the invented words...) to easily grasp.

The first edition system was a rather baroque mixture of somewhat inconsistent sub systems - a table heavy, convoluted skill system, a rather crunchy but quite effective combat system and rather different but equally effective system for the "psionic martial arts" that were Jorunes unique "magic" system. 2nd edition was really a minor revision / clarification of the first. Third edition was a n extensive revision that tried to clarify and unify the skill and combat systems - as published it had some problems but they were patched with the Sholari Pack supplement and 3rd is a system I'd happily run again: but if I'm honest, I'll probably just finish my BRP conversion...

Cheers,

NDM

Clanger

Deviant Clangers Unite
Validated User
Would love this game from yesteryear to get a makeover or even a reprint. I would even put money into a Kickstarter project to get this gem to see the light of day again :).

Lars Dangly

Validated User
easy or hard to make this kind of guy?
I'm dredging up some ancient memories here (we played right after publication of the first edition), but I think it was pretty streightforward. I even have this feeling that it was one of only a half dozen or so combat-oriented PC types.

Kagemusha

Takeda Shingen's monkey
Validated User
easy or hard to make this kind of guy?
One of the background templates was a "Gloundian Shadow Warrior" steeped in the warrior mystique and used its own form of martial arts.

The use of thikes (imagine a knuckle duster with 1 foot spikes) greatly enhanced a punch.

In Jorune, knifes are just as deadly as swords.

Grymbok

Licensed to Ill
Validated User
You know, I think we only need Vagabond now and we'll have had the whole RPGnet "Jorune pack" inside of 20 posts :)

Vagabond

Whoah, um, like, you know
Validated User
You know, I think we only need Vagabond now and we'll have had the whole RPGnet "Jorune pack" inside of 20 posts :)
I'm here - just busy.

Also, I am quite surprised nobody linked to these threads (including yours Grymbok!):

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?452575-Let-s-Read-Skyrealms-of-Jorune-3rd-Edition
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?548723-Skyrealms-of-Jorune-Why-Drennship
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?498215-Skyrealms-of-Jorune-a-stronger-motivation-and-a-stronger

Clanger - there is some effort under way for a fairly official port of the game to Hero, and a less official port to BRP. And Sholari James' stuff, including his new efforts into modernizing Jorune, is pretty substantial.

Ian

Clanger

Deviant Clangers Unite
Validated User
:D Glad to hear that Journe will live on in a new rules set for all those new blood gamers who missed out on a great setting :D

Top Bottom