• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

That's it, interest in Saga over

Juriel

Banned
They're keeping Swim, Jump and Climb as separate skills, instead of combining them into Athletics. Which means no-one is going to waste a trained skill pick on just being able to swim better, which comes up all of one time in a hundred sessions.

Of course they cannot get everything right, but this is just a profound 'neener neener' to people who want physically adept characters. Bah. You can repair and build things from scratch with the same skill, but not these?

Coyraven

Have Post Will Hijack
What is even more outrageous is that they require you to have one of WotC's Fun Guards present at all times to keep you from house ruling such a small easy to fix issue.

They don't even chip in for pizza!

GRR!

CR

Dr. Halflight

Awaiting June 6th
They're keeping Swim, Jump and Climb as separate skills, instead of combining them into Athletics. Which means no-one is going to waste a trained skill pick on just being able to swim better, which comes up all of one time in a hundred sessions.

Of course they cannot get everything right, but this is just a profound 'neener neener' to people who want physically adept characters. Bah. You can repair and build things from scratch with the same skill, but not these?
Some things people should keep in mind is that a 20th level character still has a base of +10 in any skill they're not trained in. Then you add Attribute Mod. Now, I'm guessing that you can take a feat to gain more trained skills later. AND you can raise Physical Attributes to increase your Modifier in those skills.

And then of course you can house rule Athletics as a skill.

Personally & IMHO, those 3 skills are different enough not to be rolled into one.

Rich H

Owl Be Back!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Seriously? Your interest in Saga is over just because of that? Wow. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

JohnDeHope3

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow. Just wow. Of all the obvious skill collapses waiting to happen... that one was probably the most obvious. Jeez. I agree you can houserule this. I agree this probably won't stop me from wanting to play Saga. But still... it's just stupid. Is there anything from WotC that explains why they're leaving these particular skills separated? Maybe there's a reason for it?

Masked Cucumber

Validated User
While I agree these skills could have been rolled into one, I cannot understand anybody rejecting the entire edition out of hand because of that.

Am I to understand you do not play Star Wars d20 as it is because these skills exist?

I remain,

The Masked Cucumber

Jay

Pow!
Validated User
I can jump and climb, but I sure as hell can't swim very well. Rolling them together would be like having a skill called "Sports" that handles golf, basketball, and polo.

Jim DelRosso

Magnificent Bastard
Validated User
Wow. Just wow. Of all the obvious skill collapses waiting to happen... that one was probably the most obvious. Jeez. I agree you can houserule this. I agree this probably won't stop me from wanting to play Saga. But still... it's just stupid. Is there anything from WotC that explains why they're leaving these particular skills separated? Maybe there's a reason for it?
Yup, right here.

That thread contains a few posts on which skills were consolidated and why. I don't agree with all the decisions, but I feel like I've got a better idea of why they went the way they did. I especially dig how they split up the various uses of Sense Motive, so that some of them fall under Perception, and others under Will Defense. It's nice to see that the consolidation process didn't assume all the uses of a old skill had to remain linked in the new version.

Last edited:

mhensley

Validated User
In the old days we used to combine all of the skills into this thing we called "level". Damn kids and their pages of skills and numbers and such...

Top Bottom