• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

That's it, interest in Saga over

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
It's easier to go "roll, add 4, compare to 12" mentally than "roll, add 4, add 6, compare to 18"?
Not for me. If primes were just bonuses, then the DC would always be the same number. To me, it's easier to have one variable rather than two.

EDIT: To be honest, I'd be happy to go the other way and modify the DC only, so I just have to roll the d20 and get a 7 or better, or whatever.

Last edited:

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
I don't know that term.
Castles and Crusades. IIRC, basic mechanic is d20 + stat bonus + level vs DC. You get two 'prime' stats (one based on class, one picked freely, humans get a third). DC for a task based on a prime stat is 12, DC for the other stats is 18. Some variants have primaries, secondaries and tertiaries at 12, 15 and 18.

Nawara

Proud to be a
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Unless they're, say, a primitive scout or something? I dunno.
Then it's being chosen for roleplaying reasons. I mean, if they had a Needlework skill, and I were playing an ex-embroiderer bounty hunter, I'd take it.

But I'd still feel like I was getting screwed out of my skill points. As people will whose character concepts mandate high climb, jump, and/or swim bonuses.

It's easier to go "roll, add 4, compare to 12" mentally than "roll, add 4, add 6, compare to 18"?
Not really... because that's not what you're doing mentally.

On prime abilities it's like "roll, add 10, compare to 18". On non-prime abilities, it's "roll, compare to 18".

Slightly easier than "roll, add 4, compare to 12" and "roll, compare to 18", in my mind.

-Jeff

Top Bottom