• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

đź’€ Necro The 7th Continent (now a playthrough; spoilers after post 15)

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Moderator Text:

After some discussion we have decided to treat spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War the way we treat Star Wars spoilers.

This is not a new policy for Marvel films, rather this specific film feels like an event a long time in the coming, to the point the people involved have been pleading with fandom to not spoil it. We rather agree with them. It is possible the same policy will be in place for Avengers 4, but no, we don’t plan to have it for the other films.

So the simple version:

If you spoil the new Avengers film we are going to ban you.
Not a brief suspension, you will be going bye-bye for some time.
This will be conducted under the same rules as The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, where a staff member will start the official movie spoiler thread and there will be no spoilers in any other thread including long term rumor threads.

Also this:

Additionally we will be closing the MCU spoiler thread for a few days to let people adjust and not post premiere spoilers in it. No more Avengers spoilers should be in that thread going forward. An Avengers 4 spoiler thread, designed for rumors that might spoil Avengers 3, will be opened subject to the same rules as the Avengers 3 film spoiler thread.

Very important details: We the staff don't want to be spoiled, either.

Do not include spoilers in reports. The automated system will include links to the pertinent post and thread; if you are reporting something where a spoiler is part of the context of the report, say the specific context is spoilery and do your best to identify the issue without including spoilers in the report. If a staffmember gets spoiled by a report, the reporting person is going to be sanctioned.

Yes we will allow spoiler threads that are explicitly and clearly marked as such, but we are to let a staff member start the first spoiler thread. (I don't know if any of us will make opening day.) Pertinent information: last time the anti-spoiler policy was in effect for several months. Assume the strict spoiler policy is in force until/unless we explicitly say otherwise.

Do not be alarmed if you are seeing this in a thread where it is a non sequitur. We're cross-posting it all over the place so that everyone sees it. We consider this necessary because it is a new temporary rule that will get people significant suspensions

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I got my game the 19th, and after reading the rules on Sunday I started playing through the Voracious Goddess solo (but with a regular explorer). First impressions after two plays (first one died, second one still on-going):

- The rules sound complicated (tons of symbols and the like), but the game is actually pretty simple to play. I'm sure I have missed some rules, and I had to double check a few things for food, but still very simple
- Great feeling of exploring an island and racing against time.
- Putting the game back into the box is kind of a pain as the cards need to go to the exact position. Also, some green cards have repeated numbers but they are not all exactly the same, so it's important to shuffle those.
- I like the ability and facilities from the game for saving my current progress.
- Not sure about the replayability. At least on The Voracious Goddess (half way through it), if I was to play it again I would know how to skip half of the bad stuff and just trailblaze for the important things. Which kind of misses the fun of discovery.
- I love that cards have secrets and that the flavor text and art gives you clues.

So far, clearly a success for me. I love adventure games and The 7th Continent delivers it in spades :)

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
And it's here!

Box size: doesn't seem all that impressive, but then I have KD:M, Gloomhaven, and Tales of the Arabian Nights in my field of vision at the moment. :cool:

The dividers had me panicked for a bit, until I remembered that the game had been produced right alongside its expansions and checked to reassure myself that no, there are no missing cards.

Production values look good. I hear there are issues with the curse card backs being a different shade of blue than the other skill cards, but I haven't checked that yet, and in any case the living room lighting may not be bright enough to show it.

I printed out The Crystal's Song, and [MENTION=154362]bii[/MENTION] and I will probably start it tonight.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
We only managed one short session so far. Slowly getting the hang of action economy.

One task puzzles me: digging. We've hit two digging challenges so far (one from the main game, one from Crystal's Song); both were locked at zero cards with a high number of successes. The only digging tool we've found has, as its only benefit, drawing fewer mimimum cards, and is thus useless to the above digging challenges...

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Do you have a card number or anything? Maybe it's a situation where there's another way around the challenge?

I've been plugging away at Voracious Goddess. Man - this game is HARD. I'm tempted to grab a 777 for my next run. In the meantime, I've taken to "saving" the game when I hit a checkpoint that causes me to return the map by writing down my injuries, size of the discard pile, items I've got, banished cards, etc. and going back to that point when I croak. Three times through the starting island was enough for me. :)

Some comments about Voracious Goddess in the spoilers:

Spoiler: Show
* My very first game I actually made it all the way to the goddess statue... but I completely forgot that the quest card has a card number modifier so I didn't get to see the vision, which would have saved me an entire second run. D'oh.
* I also more or less completely ignored the map until I got up the cliff on that run, so lots of extra exploring. But that's cool, exploring is fun.
* On my second run, I was pretty dejected to get the vision and realize I had to do a bunch of backtracking (basically, restart) to get the gems. But again, this wouldn't have been an issue if I'd seen the vision my first time finding the statue, which is pretty clearly the expectation.
* Is it just me or is going northeast with the submarine better than going north? You skip that friggin' cliff and there are some decent food reesources around.
* I was pretty pumped when I figured out how to unlock the door to the first dungeon (near the top of the cliff).
* That dungeon is ROUGH, but I think I've explored the whole thing by now (and I've saving at the entrance to the dungeon so it isn't too much work to go back to it). It seems obvious that there must be a key to that box with the gem in it somewhere, but I'm not sure where it is. I wouldn't be adverse to a small clue on where it is, if anyone remembers.
* You know that trap in there where you lose your leg if you push the lever the wrong way? My first time in the dungeon, I chose... poorly. Then I ran into that same trap in a subsequent run, got confused about which option I'd tried before, and lost my friggen leg AGAIN. First time tragedy, second time comedy.

Such a fun game!

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Do you have a card number or anything? Maybe it's a situation where there's another way around the challenge?
Let me see...

-I can't see an index number on the print-and-play, but this is a Crystal exploration card: finding a fragment embedded in rock. (Red lock) (Dig icon) (0 draw) (3 star) or (0 draw) (6 star) if at least one involved character is tired.)

-We encountered one normal-game Dig challenge whose number I cannot recall, but which had nearly identical mechanics to the above. It may have needed even more successes.

-Action deck card A0035, Shovel: on a dig, fight, or open/lockpick/close challenge, (blue -2) and/or (7-star).

I fail to see how a shovel is supposed to help at all if dig challenges are routinely like the two above, except as an assist to a skill already allowing you to bypass locked draws.

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Huh. I just looked at the crystal's song one, and...no, that is not what most dig challenges are like, in my experience.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Interesting - yeah that’s unusual - it seems likely there’s something that helps with those challenges, but if not, you’d just need to stock up on bonus star and bonus (7) cards (to activate the shovel), I guess.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
We ditched Crystals for the first session of what I hope is a weekly game of the Voracious Goddess with [MENTION=154362]bii[/MENTION] and a friend. Got through Tutorial Island with no hints from me; we've washed ashore and are now exploring the great unknown.

An empty hut and the hole-pocked mound on the clue map.

Starting my wife as Mary Kingsley, our friend as Dmitri Gorchkov, and myself as Froderick Fronkensteen!

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Second session!

Wandered around the hut/mound area for a while, found the hut now occupied, got a cryptic clue. Got a grappling hook, discovered we can sacrifice food for xp. Still keeping up with deck economy, although we were starting to run low... When we found... a grave.

MY NAME -- IS FRANKENSTEIN!

...anyway, now I have the Monster and both Obey! cards, so climbing the Cliffs of Insanity was a snap. We ended the session in jungle just north of the stone pillars.

Top Bottom