• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro The 7th Continent (now a playthrough; spoilers after post 15)

Aspeon

Validated User
Well, it made it into second quarter with some time to spare. My copy came in on Saturday, and while I haven't done any of the new curses yet, I did do an Icy Maze run with Fogg/Passepartout. It's nice to use the "subtract cards to add stars" mechanic in a solo game, but their cards seem a little more conditional than some of the other characters. Except for the Mastery 3 on anything check- that's super nice. (Mastery is a new mechanic- a red diamond with a number in it means if you draw X or fewer cards, you can shuffle any of them in the deck after resolving the action)

Now I have a conundrum: do I start another curse, or keep the box in its start state so I can do Crystal's Song with friends?

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm still debating how to sort the cards. I guess I just need to resign myself that I'm always going to need to have both boxes, just because of the way the game's cards are organized. Right now, I've got the characters/action cards/numbers 0-500 or so in the original box, and the exploration cards/550-850 in box 2 along with the bone dice bag, the journal, the balloon cardboard bits, and any other miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Got everything integrated, which was less difficult than I had feared. All green cards in the main box with the fourth tray containing exploration cards and everything else in the white box.

Leaning towards doing Crystal Song as a refresher and than diving deep with What Goes Up, Bloody Hunt, Offering and Path of Repentance together.

Aspeon

Validated User
Yeah, it seems like all the commonly used cards require four holders, so it's hard to pick which three of the four go in the main box.

That Icy Maze run was also with the expansion's new "Immortal" mode. Without going into precise details, it did a good job of making dying bad but not game-ending in a more interesting way than just houseruling that you have infinite lives. I was poking around the BGG Strategy forum to see what it'd take to get a clean run without training wheels, and it seems like a lot of minmaxing the item crafting system. (Stuff like using effects that let you discard individual cards from an item stack to allow you to keep adding durability to powerful items like Walking Stick.) Have you found that sort of thing necessary?

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, it seems like all the commonly used cards require four holders, so it's hard to pick which three of the four go in the main box.

That Icy Maze run was also with the expansion's new "Immortal" mode. Without going into precise details, it did a good job of making dying bad but not game-ending in a more interesting way than just houseruling that you have infinite lives. I was poking around the BGG Strategy forum to see what it'd take to get a clean run without training wheels, and it seems like a lot of minmaxing the item crafting system. (Stuff like using effects that let you discard individual cards from an item stack to allow you to keep adding durability to powerful items like Walking Stick.) Have you found that sort of thing necessary?
I finished VG on my second try without getting all the way into item shenanigans. Just using keywords sensibly to increase durability.
I really don't think that level of item management is necessary for anything short of big multi-curse runs.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Everything is sleeved and combined, old cards packed in the replacement card box for future resale. The playmat is wrinkled and the Elements box is missing one of the plastic stand pieces, nothing else seems to be amiss, sent messages via their missing/defective parts webpage.

Now to get playing...

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
I'm getting my expansion today. Yee-haww! However... I did three long (failed) attempts at Voracious Goddess, and I don't think I can handle another one. Anyone know if it's OK to jump straight into the new stuff?

Edit: answering my own question here, but I did not realize that the formerly PNP starter quest, The Crystal's Song, is included in the white box. Yay! I'll fire that up instead of taking another run at VG. (And it's short enough that I may be able to talk my partner into it!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom