• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

The Alphabet Challenge

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
Today I was home alone without any family, and so was my friend, and we finished the co-op campaign for Dawn of War II.
I'd say the game is holding up pretty good for its age, being ten years old with 3d models. Lots of fun was had. The switch to Normal difficulty really helped; it could have been a bit more difficult, but giving enemy tripple damage like Hard does was way too much.

We will want to do Chaos Rising too, but not quite yet. Also I can't fit that into the alphabet unless I did some really creative twisting. (-;

Meanwhile our family co-op progress on The Chariot stopped, both it's became too difficult for the kid and because other games caught her attention. I'll give it a solo try - yesterday I played for a bit on a solo save and made it through the first world. It's going much faster alone, but I kinda miss her in there.

Progress meter: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

sizzle

Validated User
Anyway, I've decided to throw common sense to the wind (heh) and go with Morrowind, as I couldn't shake the thought of playing that. We'll see how it goes. If it takes me way too much time maybe I'll just declare victory and move on, but it's the game I most want to play by a fair amount, and this challenge should be fun, so...
And technical issues have put the kibosh on Morrowind. I spent like two hours getting mods installed and getting the game to work with my video card, which it finally sorta did but it was still running slower than it should. However, now whenever I save, the game freezes up. The save happens, but I have to kill the game and restart, and if I'm trying to sleep my save is before sleeping, so I don't get the benefits of that. So, I'm throwing in the towel on that.

Instead, I'm going to give Endless Legend a shot.

Aspeon

Validated User
Finished Escape Goat 2. It did become more platformy and less puzzley at the end- wound up consulting a walkthrough on the last two levels because they required mechanics that i'd either forgot about or was never properly introduced to.

Full Bore's still fun, and I've got a ways to go in it, but trying to pick out a G. Here's everything in my library- any suggestions?
  • GALAK-Z
  • GemCraft: Chasing Shadows. (Fun, but super super long; I have 30 hours in it and didn't get that far in the campaign)
  • Girls Like Robots
  • Good Robot (Played a little)
  • Gish (Played a long time ago, forget how far I got)
  • Goat Simulator (Not sure how you'd "finish" this)
  • Gods Will Be Watching
  • Gratuitous Space Battles
  • GRAV
  • The Great Art Race
  • Grey Goo
  • Growing Pains
  • Guacamelee (Gold and Super Turbo Championship Edition, whatever those mean)
  • Guild of Dungeoneering (Fun, but I never got that far into it for some reason)
  • Gunpoint (Played a long time ago, forget how far I got)

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Gemcraft is about 56 hours long, according to my Steam library. It's cool, but probably too long.
Guacamelee is about 12 hours long, and is really cool. You'll want the Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition. It's a metroidvania with really good gameplay and art direction.
Gratuitous Space Battles is about 9 hours long and also good, but I'd recommend Guacamelee over it. It's a strategy game where you make all the decisions in the setup phase, then hit play to see how they work.

sizzle

Validated User
The only ones of those I've played are Guild of Dungeoneering and Goat Simulator. And yeah, Goat Simulator has no real ending, unless you're trying to 100% the in game challenges or something. Guild of Dungeoneering is fun and of a reasonable length, but it sounds like you're already familiar with it.

ESkemp

Validated User
I really enjoyed Gunpoint, enough so to finish it. It's a neat enough little game, and the writing is on point. And it's quite short: 3 hours played in my library.

I have only a little experience with Guacamelee!, but it's definitely entertaining. Another game with a sense of humor.

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User
I dropped Ellipsis in the end because I wasn't quite bad enough not to beat levels, but I was bad enough for most of them past a certain point to be absolutely infuriating. After Frozen Cortex's tutorial glitched out on me, I turned instead to Freecell Quest.

Which is... Well, it's Freecell with a minor element of inventory management, upgrades, and map navigation. I will probably cease being able to beat the puzzles at some point, but we'll get there in the end.

I quite enjoy Freecell, so this one is basically fine.

Progress Meter:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
(Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit, Big Pharma, Carmageddon: Max Damage, The Detail, Ellipsis, Freecell Quest)

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I played Freecell Quest a while back, but gave up after 12 hours; I had stopped getting upgrades, and I was only halfway through the game. I would suggest shorter sessions and alternating with another game if you want to finish it.

ESkemp

Validated User
My stab at N got abortive, which I guess might happen when you're running an older game: a corrupted save file just as I was starting to get somewhere in Neverwinter Nights 2. It's particularly frustrating because I'd just finished a reasonably bullshit fight through the magic of save-scumming. Which I guess is kind of the issue I've had with the original NWN: when you can rest after almost every encounter, the developers often choose to challenge you with kinda bullshit fights that require extensive character management (in the real-time-with-pause format, which I am not fond of), or getting lucky. You get a real sense of progress when you beat enemies that straight-up won't spawn again, or disable traps that aren't coming back, but at the same time it's just so dang fluky. So I'm both disappointed and also going ahead and taking the excuse to say "I tried pretty hard." It just stings extra after Magicka turned out to be a no-go, so restarting two letters in a row is rough.

Of my N games, NWN2 was the genre I am most likely to pay on my own unprompted. The rest of my N collection is Bundle Random:

- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst (you, uh, want some more qualifiers in that title?)
- Natural Selection 2 (seems multiplayer/PVP-only, so that's out)
- Neon Drive ('80s-themed driving/rhythm game)
- Never Alone/Kisima Ingitchuna (adventure game)
- NightSky (action-puzzle platformer)
- Northmark: Hour of the Wolf (card RPG/RPG-mechanical card game)
- Not the Robots ("Roguelike Stealth Furniture Eating Simulator")
- The Novelist (stealth game about spying on a family)

In all honesty, I think Never Alone is probably the closest thing that appeals to me narratively, but I think I'm in the mood for something that I can allegedly finish quickly. I played about 20 minutes of Northmark: Hour of the Wolf at some time in the past, and it wasn't very polished, but what the heck. I'll give it a go.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Finished Drill Dozer on the GBA. The gimmick with this game is that it has a rumble motor on the cartridge, and the game is about drilling things, so it's going to get a lot of use. The issue, as I soon discovered, is that the controls require awkward hand positioning, which when combined with the rumble starts to hurt my hands pretty quick. (Attacks are done with the shoulder buttons, and you need to hold them down.) After a couple levels, I dug out my Gamecube and Gameboy Player, which was much more comfortable. I enjoyed the larger screen as well. The rumble actually transfers to the Gamecube controller, which is something I did not expect. Internet makes it look like something the Drill Dozer team had to program in, so good job there.

I completed the main story, though I skipped most of the secret levels; they need to be purchased, cost a significant amount, and I didn't feel like replaying old levels to get enough money. As for the actual game, it's good, but the core gimmick was getting a bit old by the end of the game. (Basically, if you see an obstacle, drill it.) The museum secret level (one of two I played) really showcased how the drill could be used for complex platforming sections. Unfortunately, nothing even close is in the regular game.

Top Bottom