• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Alphabet Challenge

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Calling it quits on U.
I played Unium, (a simple puzzle game, where you turn all squares white using a single line) but as with most puzzle games, the difficulty just kept ramping up until the point where it stopped being fun anymore.
I then tried Ultra Savage, (an idle game, but one with a defined end) based on the developer's previous game, Great Hero's Beard. Unfortunately, I forgot that I was never actually able to beat Great Hero's Beard, and ran into exactly the same issue here, where I ran out of resets without having the power needed to actually win. I assume I'm missing something, but I don't know what. Good game up to that point, at least.
Finally, I tried Ubersoldier, but that was from the era of nasty DRM, which managed to break my Windows install so hard that I needed to boot from a restore disk and use a system restore point to get things working again.

So, that's 2 games I've mostly beaten. I'm going to call it there.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Going out of order a bit, I played Zapper: One Wicked Cricket for Z. This is very similar to the PS1-era Frogger games; you have the same grid-based environment, the same enemies with predictable movement, and the same emphasis on rapid, precise movement. New to the formula is the collection aspect; there are 100 fireflies in each level you can collect to unlock secret levels and attempts to unlock cosmetic items. (I completed the game 100%.) It's a good version of the formula; my biggest gripe with it are that there are cases where you can mess up, collect something you're not supposed to, and be forced to restart the level in order to collect all 100 fireflies. Also, they use the same button for jump high as for jump long, and it's not always obvious which it's going to use. I've done more than a few jumps over a platform into the abyss because I thought I needed to jump high to reach the platform, but it wasn't as high as I thought. (You start with 20 lives, and when you run out, a continue will just restart the level. This may seem like a lot, but it's not. You will run out a few times during the game.)

Remaining: WXY

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
C is for Costume Quest 2

I've talked a lot about me and my kid playing The Chariot together, and it's an absolutely briliant game, especially in coop, and I can't recommend it enough. But we didn't play it to finish, since it got too difficult for her eventually, and I've already spent a huge amount of time in the game, what with our slow progress and frequent mistakes, so I set it aside.

Instead, we went back to part two of Double Fine's lovely children's RPG. That one was just right for her age, except for the language barrier, so once again I was on translation duty. This game's got everything - evil dentist, time travel, candy speakeasies, the cutest hot dog animal costume ever, robots, alligators, giant evil dentist mech, and jazz.

Mechanics-wise, it's about the same as the first one. Battle is turn-based, with hitting a button at just the right time improving your attack and defense. Windows of opportunity are pretty lenient. For the harder fights I did some strategizing concerning who to hit first or when to use the big powers, but those were just a few.

The only negative - now my kid really, really wants part 3, which doesn't exist. (-:

Progress meter: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Aspeon

Validated User
I took a bit of a break from this thanks to RL stuff getting busy, Mario Maker, and Path of Exile, but I did get through a few Monster Prom playthroughs, including one "successful" one.

Looking through my Steam library for N, I realized Nightsky was a game by Nifflas, a creator I'm a fan of who's done a lot of surreal/atmospheric platformers. (many of which are freeware) This is definitely one of them- you're a marble, and there's a lot of physics-based silliness like reversing gravity, levers, moving a cart along by rolling on top of it, etc. Easy so far, but it's cute.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Calling it quits on U.
I played Unium, (a simple puzzle game, where you turn all squares white using a single line) but as with most puzzle games, the difficulty just kept ramping up until the point where it stopped being fun anymore.
I then tried Ultra Savage, (an idle game, but one with a defined end) based on the developer's previous game, Great Hero's Beard. Unfortunately, I forgot that I was never actually able to beat Great Hero's Beard, and ran into exactly the same issue here, where I ran out of resets without having the power needed to actually win. I assume I'm missing something, but I don't know what. Good game up to that point, at least.
Finally, I tried Ubersoldier, but that was from the era of nasty DRM, which managed to break my Windows install so hard that I needed to boot from a restore disk and use a system restore point to get things working again.

So, that's 2 games I've mostly beaten. I'm going to call it there.
Came back to Ultra Savage after getting some pointers, and actually beat the game. The ending was needlessly grindy, but I was able to complete it.

Aspeon

Validated User
NightSky was short and fun. Got some of the optional collectibles to unlock some bonus levels, but didn't stick around for all of them.

For O I was going to do Once Upon A Crime In The West, a short Humble Original, but it doesn't have a save feature and I've already lost all my progress twice. (Once when I quit not realizing it didn't save, once when it softlocked due to a bug) The other Os in my library are Octodad: Dadliest Catch and Overload, so I'll probably get one of those started soon.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hot take time: Yoshi's Island is not as good as Super Mario World.

* It has a collectathon aspect, where you can collect all the thingies in a level and progress to unlocking secret levels, but it's set up as a score, so you need to collect everything in one go, or you have to replay the level. Get to the end and discover you only got 99/100? Well, you'll need to recollect everything. I don't think there's any benefit from getting 99/100 vs 1/100.
* One of the thingies you need to "collect" is finishing the level with perfect health. Get hit by an enemy just before the goal? Sucks to be you.
* Red coins are commonly hidden in posts that you need to pound multiple times, which mean you need to check every single one, and collecting them starts to get old after the first few times.

It's really not a good experience to try and 100% levels. So how is it when not 100%ing levels? Well....

* The levels spam lots of enemies at you at times, with plenty of infinite pits scattered around.
* You only start with 3 lives before a continue, instead of the 5 in Super Mario World.
* The controls simply aren't as tight.
Yeah, you'll be hitting the continue screen a lot. I popped in Super Mario World just in case I suddenly got worse at video games, but no. This game is significantly harder than Super Mario World, and not in a fun way. I could still beat it, but it would be a slog, and I have other choices for Y.

ESkemp

Validated User
Fell out of Undertale for a while because Path of Exile redid their Atlas of Worlds again and I keep trying to get the "complete all non-red maps" milestone, and also I foolishly picked up Assassin's Creed: Odyssey which has also been eating my time. I can tell I'm bad at this game because I keep using consumables, but who wants to walk all the way back to a boss fight? Anyway, got past a mini-boss, and at least the current boss I'm on doesn't require me to redo a puzzle for each try. I should honestly try to play for longer blocks, or at least more often. I like what the game is doing, I'm just not attuned to the actual twitch-based parts of the gameplay.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I played Wandersong for W. This has very simplistic gameplay, basically move and sing, with enough variation in the gameplay to keep things fresh. It's carried on the strength of the story, which is all about keeping up hope when everything seems hopeless. Bit heavy, but good.

Technical note: while the game supports keyboard+mouse, it's not a good experience. You either want a dual stick joypad or a keyboard with a numpad. Also, it was unable to detect my joypad, but it's a PS2 controller with a USB adapter, so I'm not holding that against it. (Keyboard works better than you might think. You can accurately and precisely hit the notes you're aiming for.)

Top Bottom