• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Alphabet Challenge

sizzle

Validated User
So, The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit is short and it's not as emotion-heavy as Life is Strange, but ouch, that was bleak. Curious to see how that story will be picked up within Life is Strange 2, but I don't play episodic games until all episodes are out anymore. (Damn you, Saturday Morning RPG.)
Starting with a short game is probably smart. I'm 22 hours into AC4 and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I'm probably not even half done. I'm definitely going to have to play some shorter games with subsequent letters.

ESkemp

Validated User
I will say that this thread has given me the incentive to return to KHOLAT. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I have extricated myself from the terrible position my previous save was at, unlocked a new fast-travel spot, and parked near one of the nine exploration areas you need to reach in order to complete the game. I've already gotten four, so this is technically the halfway point? Signs are now a bit more optimistic that I might finish it.

It's interesting looking at the global achievement percentages for a game as a way of assessing your odds. Right now it looks like 7.6% of players actually finish KHOLAT; but only about 54% manage to hit the first exploration area. So I'm already well ahead of the game.

Phantom Stranger

Welcome to Casablanca
Validated User
Starting with a short game is probably smart. I'm 22 hours into AC4 and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but I'm probably not even half done. I'm definitely going to have to play some shorter games with subsequent letters.
Yeah, there's a few I'm looking at tackling where I can see myself declaring 'I have played X hours and am done for the purposes of this challenge', though I'm going to keep that to a minimum.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
I will say that this thread has given me the incentive to return to KHOLAT. I haven't gotten very far yet, but I have extricated myself from the terrible position my previous save was at, unlocked a new fast-travel spot, and parked near one of the nine exploration areas you need to reach in order to complete the game. I've already gotten four, so this is technically the halfway point? Signs are now a bit more optimistic that I might finish it.
I really like that you've pushed yourself to make it through the game. I'm rooting for you! :)

Yeah, there's a few I'm looking at tackling where I can see myself declaring 'I have played X hours and am done for the purposes of this challenge', though I'm going to keep that to a minimum.
There's a couple letters later in the alphabet where I'm pretty sure my first picks are beyond my ability to beat them, and I'm already thinking of alternate goals to give myself, too.

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
More what people would like to hear about. I'll give AMS another shot and report back.
Hey, I've noticed you didn't come back for a couple of days after this bit... If you don't feel like playing AMS or anything, feel free to disregard my suggestion, I won't mind. :)

Pieta

Very custom
Validated User
And it looks like one of my letters was chosen for me, ahead of its time.

As I was browsing through my PS3 collection, my kid noticed one of the games had a very cute title picture (it's the one at the top of this page). Well, let's just say there are powers out there beyond the ken of mortal men, and thus...

C is for The Chariot
(Playing on PS3, but I'm sure it's on your platform too.)

What is this: It's a super-cute looking platformer, but not a very typical one. For starters, I haven't found a way to die yet, three stages in. And instead of getting yourself to the end, your goal is to guide the titular chariot there, through a terrain that decidedly wasn't built for chariots, and gather as much treasure as possible while you go. And you can't even pick the treasure, the chariot does. Expect a lot of pushing, dragging, pulling and of course, falling.

Why are you transporting a chariot through dungeons? You see, your royal father died, and you brought his coffin to your family's tomb, but his ghost popped out and outright refused to be burried in that shabby place, and with no treasure to speak of. Unthinkable! You, his grieving daughter (and her fianceé, if coop), have to do better. Get pushing!

The late king is a fantastically annoying man. On reaching the end of a level, he'll congratulate himself on a job well done! Sometimes, he even mentions you, as an afterthought. We've already had many conversations about just leaving the coffin somewhere and running away (and I sure hope my kid is not taking notes for ideas about the future disposal of my body!) - but keeping with the theme of the game, it's one of those lighthearted love-to-hate relationships. But if the game ends with the chariot picking up speed as it plummets towards a lake of lava, I think I'd find it very satisfying.

Our experience so far: I play this in coop with my daughter, and we're having loads of fun. Maybe a bit too much. "Dad, can we play that game before breakfast?" "Um, no?" "How about during breakfest?"

I was a little bit scared at first, because platformer and cute looking are one of the best predictors for "soul-crushingly hard" I know of, but that didn't happen so far. It helps that the game is really cooperative, and the chariot is not just a burden, but also a tool. Since both characters can attach themselves to the chariot with a rope, that gives you a lot of options to pull the other player to you, lower the chariot to them, place it to give them better access etc. My daughter is of course doing her share, but it really helps that you have tools to prevent situations like dragging the chariot several platforms up then falling off and having to start all over again.

There is also a lot of space for all kinds of fooling around - one player riding the chariot as the other pulls or pushes, riding it downhill, playing tug of war, etc. So far, it looks like it was a very good pick. It helps that it's at its core a single player that just lets two people play at the same time. I hope that means the difficulty will keep being reasonable the whole time.

On the other hand, there are some sections marked as two player challenges, and those were out of our league so far. But since those seem entirely voluntary, I think we're good.

Progress meter: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ (as in, already playing two games, having finished none)

ChariotDriver

Validated User
Hey, I've noticed you didn't come back for a couple of days after this bit... If you don't feel like playing AMS or anything, feel free to disregard my suggestion, I won't mind. :)
I've been a bit poorly but I have played a little Amber, so I should report on it some time this week. I want to give it - and all the other games - a fair go.

beachnik

Man of Action!
Validated User
This looks like it could be fun, and might compel me to finish some of the games I've got kicking around on my Steam library. Though I suspect I will get horrendously sidetracked, but at least trying to play 26 games in a year doesn't seem unreasonable.

What I'm currently playing:
Kingdom Hearts. The third numbered game is coming out in the next little bit, and I kind of want to play it, but worse want to actually understand what's going on. Having said that I'm a fair way of the way through, the game being significantly shorter than I remembered so I'll probably wrap that up sometime this week.

Dawn of War 2. As a multiplayer thing with my friends we picked up Dawn of War 2: The Last Stand mode to spend a weekend morning, and it's kind of made me want to push through the main campaign, which I haven't done before (I don't think).

Sundered: Eldritch Edition. A really neat platformer roguelike with very Lovecraftian vibes to it. No idea how far through the game I am, but judging by the massive ability web I'd say about 20% ish. I'm really curious to see how it plays out, as the story is very pleasingly show not tell, and nicely revealed a bit at a time.

Progress meter: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

ESkemp

Validated User
I've explored -- or rather, visited and then usually run quickly away from -- 8/9 of the listed coordinates on the KHOLAT map. The sole problem is that the one remaining coordinate is a pain in the butt to get to, and trying to get there was what burned me out on the game and stalled me on the challenge in the first place. I have some thoughts on KHOLAT, but I think I'm going to wait to post them to see if I can get that one last push to the last coordinate, and thereby be en route to finishing the game, or if the various limitations imposed on gameplay induce me to just relax and call it "played until I was done."

Edit: And finished! Found an online hint that helped me make the final push.

Overall, I think KHOLAT's a game that would have been better if it hadn't put so many limitations on the player. Can't jump over two-foot-high walls. Can't find alternate routes to some locations. Can't run very long without losing Stamina and slowing. Can't use flashlight without attracting danger. Can't reactivate secondary save points if you abandon a route and then come back later. Can't see where you are on your map. Many of these limitations are fine and reasonable, but all of them at once made for a game that was a little bit of drudgery to push through. Evocative and cool when you had the chance to explore, but the things that will kill you make the game not about exploration any more. It definitely frustrated me -- I don't plan on trying it again for the "get all collectibles" ending -- but it also had some high points. Plus, Sean Bean narration.

Next up: Leviathan: The Last Day of the Decade. A Western visual novel with a weird premise, some really interesting art (both gorgeous and grotesque), and I don't think I've played a visual novel to the end before. No idea what I'm getting into!

Last edited:

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User
For A, I did A Hat In Time: Seal the Deal, DLC for the main game. I completed A Hat In Time right before they released the DLC for free, which was somewhat poor luck on my part. (It includes a super-hard challenge mode which I did not touch.)

Is this cheating a bit? Yeah, but this was a good excuse to finally get around to playing the DLC, which has been on my TODO list for a while now.

Top Bottom