• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

The Ballad of Min-Maximus (how a power-gamer ruined Wild Talents)

Rupert

Validated User
If it's the barrier I recall, it's permeable to gasses. It explicitly says in the write-up that you won't suffocate while encircled by it. If he's taken the advantage that lets ally attacks through then allowing him to eat is probably permitted.

My first thought would be to use a Flash attack (blinding) against him or a gas attack, both of which could be strong enough to KO the character depending on his other attributes.
That's what I'd be going for. Having established that one can breathe and eat through it, we know that gas and attacks that look innocuous will bypass the shield. I bet if one were to do that, he'd be claiming that the shield did in fact work against gas attacks.

Valmond

Validated User
“Slate wastes five minutes leading you around through the maze of air ducts,” I narrate, “He leads you into the same dead-end twice. You now have only 5 minutes before SWAT attempts to breach, which will almost certainly lead to civilian caualties”
Yikes, this is pretty much universal code for "Your character pisses me off and you turned my game into a joke so enjoy your failed roll !" Deciding session 5 was gonna be the last was proably for the best at this point, yeah.

I'm not. I believe stories like this are important for other people to learn from. And so are the conversations that arise because of them.

I have no issues with the original poster. Regardless of some minor misunderstandings and miscommunications that arose during our exchanges.
Well, what's going on is that you're the second poster to basically GMsplain to OP what he did wrong and how he should have done things, which I think (and filling a page or two of this thread doing it) OP is pretty much aware of, and so is more or less everyone who read the thread, so yeah. I mean, my impression of this thread is that it's about funny gaming stories, not a serious post mortem analysis of Mailer's GMing chops. We all make mistakes as GM (especially when we try out new systems), there are probably things I wouldn't have handled the same way Mailer did, but I wasn't in his shoes back then, and I'm lucky enough to not have had to deal with powerplayers of that magnitude, so I don't think there's a real need to get ultra deep into this.

But yeah, the fear of situations like that is why I've taken the habbit of making test-runs for important fights. I usually run with systems I'm aready familiar with, so I tend to be able to estimate if something will lead to trouble or not, but if I want to have a climactic fight that's just hard enough, sometimes, I just make a few runs, playing out each character's likely actions to see if any side gets stupidly wrecked. Does take some time, though and it works best in systems with a limited number of options. I doubt it would have accounted for the multi-tool nature of Slate's powers.

The Unshaven

Validated User
When someone's character is more obnoxious than the character named Minmax in Goblins, it's a problem. At least Minmax' players leans into all of the disadvantages they purchased at character gen, no matter how ridiculous or inconvenient, rather than try to blag their way around them...

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As a GM I have made every error that you can find in the list of dumb GM calls other than being actively insulting or racist etc. and I conveniently forget or fail to mention most of them. When I first ran Supers with point-buy for the first time (Savage Worlds - Necessary Evil) I got utterly owned by a minmax player. It was so bad that I avoided superhero games for years.

So I would like to applaud Mailer Mailer for telling these funny and instructive stories.

Wolfpack48

Validated User
That's how I ended up with Fate. Trying to find a game system that placed more emphasis on story. And concentrated far less on the wargaming and exploitation of character generation.
Interesting. I wonder how frequently Fate or other narrative systems are chosen to avoid min-maxing. Or by min-maxers who want to curb their min-maxing ways?

Last edited:

SibKhatru

Validated User
I'm having a hard time imagining where that wouldn't be a cure worse than the disease. Wick's legendary Champions Game of Doom was a deliberate exercise in GM sadism, where the entire point was to make the players ragequit.
Urban legend, more like... I deploy PD and my players love the risks, challenges, twists, and danger. I wonder as well how much of the blog and book are hyperbole to provoke.

BigFatSlob

Despite Popular Demand
Validated User
I just want to jump in here and tell Mailer Mailer how much I'm enjoying this story and appreciate them telling it. I have been mentally substituting the names of the players l know personally who do this with MinMaximus and Exploitii, and it's reading perfectly naturally.

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
When someone's character is more obnoxious than the character named Minmax in Goblins, it's a problem. At least Minmax' players leans into all of the disadvantages they purchased at character gen, no matter how ridiculous or inconvenient, rather than try to blag their way around them...
His growth beyond that limiting character build was actually one of my favorite parts of Goblins, together with Senor Kickasso of course.

Kevin Mowery

WAUGH!
Validated User
...why are we being hard on the storyteller?
This is a board where (admittedly, some years back) I've seen people just lay into gamemasters for saying they wouldn't allow someone to play a mecha-suit pilot, ninja catgirl, or dragon-riding elf in an Old West game. I'm not surprised there's pushback on a GM saying that letting players run roughshod over genre and game balance caused problems.

Willy Elektrix

Validated User
All these stories make me grit my teeth in frustration. I'm usually annoyed that none of my players bother to learn the rules, but this thread has kind of made me appreciate it instead.

Top Bottom